Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RockJustRock
    replied
    Well... My Mom is 102 and she had it done so you can't be far off.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    What are the risks of just not doing it? They claim they can detect cancer anywhere with just a blood test. I often feel Doctors just like going up there, probes, surgery, anything.
    Thought about that but there's a HIGH probability of cancer and sooner rather than later. The biopsy of the polyp that they got out showed "high-grade dysplasia" which translates to "this is going to be cancer in the near future". If I thought I only had - say - 5 years left I'd opt for letting it go but I seem to have a high probability of hangin' around for a while so it seems to be worth doing. I can't die for at least 10 years as I have too many projects to finish and more coming all the time. I may have to go for immortality.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• RockJustRock
    replied
    What are the risks of just not doing it? They claim they can detect cancer anywhere with just a blood test. I often feel Doctors just like going up there, probes, surgery, anything.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    I'm slightly concerned about the doc just because I've never before had the need of a surgeon working deep inside my bod (other than my stent placement but they fish those up thru a leg vein and don't dive deep to do those) so I don't have any experience with anyone digging around in there. The guy who will do it was recommended by the gastroenterologist who did the colonoscopy and this surgical practice does a lot of gastric bypass surgery so at least I know he's had lots of practice. So far I haven't heard any negative feedback on him. I'd like for my vet to do it but evidently there's some issue with licenses, etc.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Yes, you'll be down for 10 or so days. The biggest issue is whether or not your surgeon is competent - I know this sounds odd but the plastic surgeon did a better job then the 3 other before.... I had a section removed, and the surgery/condition reversal was a success - however, I also had a colostomy bag for 6 weeks - the disconnection/reconnection caused me 3 more surgeries due to scar tissue on the inside of the colon.... thus the plastic surgeon success - they are good at keeping the scar tissue down, which reduces/eliminates future blockages.... which if you have them, I've been burned, bones broken, and full frontal assault on my colon stuff.... blockages hurt worse then all the above.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    you are brave, faith in the medicine.

I was coincidentally reading up on Crohns disease...not even an hour ago.
    I would be an industrial version (my family is bulletproof in all subjects - I am boasting)

I have every symptom, including mouth cysts I thought were absesses.

I am terrified for you.

I quit smoking, so my monster has to go in its direction. I am scared of myself.
    IBD or IBS gulf war version is my best guess. I do catch up on the conversations in the veterans groups as they talk.. not many do.

hope it all goes well. I'll keep my faith with you too.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 20, 2019, 08:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Thanks all. Phil - I'd appreciate that. I'll look for your PM.

Turns out that Dick (the Volvo owner) had an appendectomy a couple of years back using pretty much the same process so he was able to provide some insight. Just an FYI for all you non-medical types - the appendix is at the end of a book....oops - I mean at the end on the ascending colon, the piece they'll take out of me so the process is pretty much the same except they'll take more. He says it isn't too bad after the first week but that you just have to take it easy. They'll probably do a TAP block (a nerve blocking process) and my doc says that'll keep the heavy pain away for several days and reduce or eliminate the need for heavy drugs. I'm in favor of that as I HATE opiods and can't figure out how anyone would take them recreationally.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• 70chevyC-10
    replied
    I blew a lower radiator hose about 4 years ago when on vacation in Colorado and they took out 13" of my colon Dan. I will PM you my work 800# and we can chat if you want. I'm only here for another 30 minutes or so but you can call me next week if you wish.Not to worry, everything will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• STINEY
    replied
    Closest I have to that Dan was an Appendectomy at 19. 3”” inch incision, felt like they sewed my leg to my chest, but that was simply the stitches pulling.

Dad-in-law was emergency scheduled for a large resection, but when opened up the damaged tissue was more extensive than expected. So I am unable to share the after part of that surgery.

Our best thoughts and an extra large serving of positive energy is going your ( and ME’s) way.
    Last edited by STINEY; September 20, 2019, 12:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Any of you guys ever had abdominal surgery? At the end of the month they're going to remove a section of colon to get rid of a pre-cancerous polyp and I'm wondering what to expect. I know what the doc told me but I'm hoping one of you might know what it's REALLY like. They're doing it laparoscopically so the incisions shouldn't be too bad but they ARE taking out a hunk of my guts. Will I still have the guts to race? Any input is welcome - and thanks. This gettin' old is not for sissies......

Dan
    Dan
    No serious help for your questions BUT I always have comments
    As to racing - yes you will still be able to race - however you may soil yourself quicker with a shorter track

Wishing you all the best outcomes.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    started a topic Health Question

Health Question

Any of you guys ever had abdominal surgery? At the end of the month they're going to remove a section of colon to get rid of a pre-cancerous polyp and I'm wondering what to expect. I know what the doc told me but I'm hoping one of you might know what it's REALLY like. They're doing it laparoscopically so the incisions shouldn't be too bad but they ARE taking out a hunk of my guts. Will I still have the guts to race? Any input is welcome - and thanks. This gettin' old is not for sissies......

Dan
Working...
X