The Gas Griddle Rat War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Gas Griddle Rat War

A few months back I got us a gas griddle. That thing's nice. It's a smaller version of the Rhode Island-sized cooking surface they use at the Waffle House. It even came with a place to put a roll of paper towels and a trash bag.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1Griddle.JPG Views:	1 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	1251925

I thought maybe the bag and the towels was just a sexy plus until I used the griddle. Yep, that's very handy if not necessary. Lots of wiping going on while using that griddle. So there's a bag of greasy towels hanging there. The past couple weeks brought about a mystery. The used towels were escaping from that bag and migrating around the understructure of that griddle assembly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2Scene of the Crime.JPG Views:	1 Size:	49.9 KB ID:	1251926

To skip the story about how long I was puzzled about it, it's a rat. One rat, the same one every time,based on evidence gathered at the scene. It's coming onto the screened porch and having its fun and then leaving. It is not living on the porch. There was a hole in the decking where the garden hose runs down and to the outside. Whoever made the hole cut it generously large. So the rat climbs up the hose onto the porch and then out again. I spent about an hour yesterday fabricating a patch and cramming wedges in the leftover gaps. There. Problem solved.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3Patch.JPG Views:	1 Size:	125.8 KB ID:	1251927

Unit already said, "Just throw away the used towels every time you finish cooking, don't leave them out there." Nope, that's MY porch and that rat is coming in there whether there's used towels out there or not. Now it's a contest between me and this rat I've never seen. This morning, after the deck patch, he's been at it again.

There's only one other access place, hard to image big enough, where the outside door is hung crooked. Whoever built the porch made it look like I built it, crooked and un-level.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4Door Gap.JPG Views:	1 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	1251928

Sanctions are over. This is now war. Tomorrow I'll post a photo of a dead rat's tail hanging out of this thing. I'll put it inside the griddle frame so Kenny won't stick his paw into the hole and get his arm broken.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010531.JPG Views:	1 Size:	47.5 KB ID:	1251929
    Last edited by pdub; September 22, 2019, 05:38 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Sue is correct. If you don't leave stuff out for the rat - he won't come in. But - good luck in the war against the rodent. I look forward to the play by play.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Me too. Evidently we Wichita folks are easily entertained.
      Last edited by oletrux4evr; September 22, 2019, 08:21 AM.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Rats BBQ quite nicely but you'll need several to make more than a snack. Bon Appetite!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Rats BBQ quite nicely but you'll need several to make more than a snack. Bon Appetite!

Dan
          With enough practice at it, maybe I could open up a Chinese restaurant. EDIT: ...after I get the sanitation rating back up a few points.
          Last edited by pdub; September 22, 2019, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
            I look forward to the play by play.
            Well alrighty then!

Some things tempt men into mortal disaster, other things tempt rats just as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6Irresistable Bait.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1251945

First you have to set the scene.

Name:	7Setup.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1251946

There's no way the undocumented visitor will survive the night.

Name:	8Death Chamber.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	1251947

Film at eleven. Eleven A.M., that is, because he only comes out in the dark.

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Good choice for the bait. Peanut butter is what I use in the traps around the house. Boy - it's been a long time since I caught one, too.

Comment

Manchester Terrier. It'll wipe out rats in no time. The downside is that then you own a Manchester Terrier.

Dan

Comment

Good choice for the bait. Peanut butter is what I use in the traps around the house. Boy - it's been a long time since I caught one, too.
                      I use it to entice squirrels..........then relocate them to a wooded area a couple of miles away. They steal our birdfeed, so........
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Hey, now - squirrels are good eatin. Gotta good pump Crosman and some pellets?

Comment

Yeah, but we have a Dillon's nearby too.......LOL!
                          I ate squirrel and rabbit out of necessity as a kid.
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Yeah, but we have a Dillon's nearby too.......LOL!
                            I ate squirrel and rabbit out of necessity as a kid.
                            First of all, Dillons is higher than anywhere else in town. Second - so what if you ate them when you were poor? I did too - and they are still TASTY. Also free. You snag a squirrel that's been raiding bird feeders.... that will be some sweet meat. I shot rabbits eating out of my garden. Accomplished 2 things - kept the veggies alive, and they tasted good with the rabbit.

There is no down side to eating urban wildlife. You eat venison, right? What's the diff, except they don't weigh so much bringing them home to skin.
                            Last edited by studemax; September 22, 2019, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Sue is correct. If you don't leave stuff out for the rat - he won't come in.
                              Drum rolI ..... didn't get him. I took that bag of greasy towels away and he didn't even show up. He had been there on consecutive nights so I thought he was coming from memory, made us a part of his nightly rounds. But nope, he was obviously following smell.

I've never been friends with a rat so I don't know how they think. Now I can rent a crane so I can lift the top of that griddle off to clean underneath it.

Comment

Working...
                              X