The Gas Griddle Rat War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

My thoughts exactly, when I service manager back in the day we always test drove the car afterwards. You should have gotten the car back either fixed or with an explanation, guess times have changed.
    Maybe so. Back when I was trying to get the locals to mount a new set of tires to not shake the car apart, they finally test drove it. The kid came back grinning with his eyes real big saying, "GYAH that car is FAST!!!" << Insert photo of me scowling here >>.

Dan S, the Fancy Gap Connection, absolutely, but right now there are three distinct "no" factors for that. The first being technical - driving the car that far the way it is is prohibitive. There's a one-mile stretch of the interstate between ramps right here at our house and that's where I've been doing my test driving. You let go of the steering wheels and it's going into the left lane like you were moving over on purpose to make a pass, about that quick. A long trip like that, no.

And back to the thread title (I love hijacking threads), there has been peace on the home front for a couple of weeks or so, I patched all of the screens and stored the traps in the shed. Yesterday evening Unit said, "You KNOW there's a new hole in the screen, right?" So I went outside in the rain to get a few traps back out and set them again. Ed, what was the score the last time we checked, 0-73? I haven't looked out there this morning, it's still dark.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• I don't know the exact score, but if there was a mercy rule, it would be bad news for the Retirement Racing crew.
      Last edited by oletrux4evr; October 22, 2019, 05:49 AM.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Was it gradual or sudden, the pulling to the right. Or left?
        Can you put a bar under the tire and make it clunk when you lift it?
        Maybe have Superman give it a spin?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          Was it gradual or sudden, the pulling to the right. Or left?
          Can you put a bar under the tire and make it clunk when you lift it?
          I'd say gradual. I haven't driven the car this year hardly enough to keep the battery charged up. Maybe I forgot over time, wow that thing pulls to the left.

I just now jacked up each front corner and put a bar under the tire and grunted and I couldn't make it go clunk on either wheel.

I hate to bother SM with it, he's got a double plate full already and 7 kayaks.

Tonight the rat gets filet mignon. At least I hope he gets it because if he gets it, he'll REALLY "get it."
          Last edited by pdub; October 22, 2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            SM got on here sometime and was reading some of the posts. We were both outside yesterday and he asked me about Red. He said to swap the left front and the right front tires and see if it then pulls to the right instead of the left. I said I'd already swapped front for rear and it didn't change a thing so it can't be the tire.

He gave me the coordinates for THE alignment guy here in town. That's all the guy has done for 40 years and his daddy did it for 40 years before that. I went to see him this morning. He drove Red and in less than 100 feet he said, "That's the tire doing that." No doubt about it, no hesitation, final diagnosis. I said, but I already swapped front for rear and it still does it, same thing. He said don't do it like that, swap left for right and it'll pull to the right, I'll betcha.

And he talked about tires for a long while. He said usually it's a brand new tire that does that and these are 8 years old. Keep moving them around on the car and maybe it'll drive good, maybe. He used a term, something like "bias steer."

So I went home and swapped left for right. No difference. So if it's a wonky tire, there are now 3 of the 4 tires that are exactly as wonky when installed on the left front. What the...

I've got a whole nuther set of wheels/tires sitting there, the ones I keep set aside for racing. The same tires, just 4 years newer and never patched. I put all 4 of those on Red and he drives like a brand new car. Yippee!!!

8 year old tires. Don't trust them. And I'd better write that down somewhere so I don't forget it after another long while.

Comment

• I TOLE ya there was a fix! Cool that the old-timey alignment guy KNEW the source. But he DID bet you that Red would pull to the other side so you ought to go back and collect! Also, remember the old alignment guy's address - he's the guy you want when you have "issues".

Really pleased that you found a fix.

Dan

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

SM got on here sometime and was reading some of the posts. We were both outside yesterday and he asked me about Red. He said to swap the left front and the right front tires and see if it then pulls to the right instead of the left. I said I'd already swapped front for rear and it didn't change a thing so it can't be the tire.

He gave me the coordinates for THE alignment guy here in town. That's all the guy has done for 40 years and his daddy did it for 40 years before that. I went to see him this morning. He drove Red and in less than 100 feet he said, "That's the tire doing that." No doubt about it, no hesitation, final diagnosis. I said, but I already swapped front for rear and it still does it, same thing. He said don't do it like that, swap left for right and it'll pull to the right, I'll betcha.

And he talked about tires for a long while. He said usually it's a brand new tire that does that and these are 8 years old. Keep moving them around on the car and maybe it'll drive good, maybe. He used a term, something like "bias steer."

So I went home and swapped left for right. No difference. So if it's a wonky tire, there are now 3 of the 4 tires that are exactly as wonky when installed on the left front. What the...

I've got a whole nuther set of wheels/tires sitting there, the ones I keep set aside for racing. The same tires, just 4 years newer and never patched. I put all 4 of those on Red and he drives like a brand new car. Yippee!!!

8 year old tires. Don't trust them. And I'd better write that down somewhere so I don't forget it after another long while.
                I bet the guy called them TARS.

Maybe you should try a good hard burnout, rotate front to back, then another hard burnout. It's probably because you've been driving Red like an old man a lot lately.
                Last edited by RockJustRock; October 25, 2019, 04:19 PM.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Good news. Just my practice, but if tires make it to 6 years old, I replace them.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Kinda slightly barely on hijacked thread sub-topic, DB sent this. A new ride would indeed forego all of the troubleshooting discussed here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang Tail Lights.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	1254440

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	pdub.png
Views:	110
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	1254447
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	pdub2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1254449
                        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron Ward View Post
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	pdub.png
Views:	110
Size:	541.1 KB
ID:	1254447
                          the only problem I see with that is the possibility it would light the mouse on fire...
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                            Me too. Evidently we Wichita folks are easily entertained.
                            as we are as well in Seattle. After all, Seattle brought you such deep lyrics as "here we are now, entertain us"
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I've had plenty of time and plenty of tries all different ways. I'm never gonna catch that rat, or whatever it is. I think I'm gonna put just one trap on the porch, armed. Instead of bait I'm gonna leave him a note with an arrow drawn on it pointing to the trigger on the gator trap.

"To whom it may concern: You buck-toothed bug-eyed no account fleabag piece of grease licking yard vermin, there's nothing else here on this porch for you to eat now that you've already eaten the screen again. Since you are my uninvited guest I cordially invite you to step right here, just once. In fact I DARE you to, and let me know how that works out for you. Sincerely, Home Owner."

I've tried everything else.

Comment

• Just read the whole thing! Glad you got the tires figured out. I had a car that did that had to swap left front for right rear.

I am going to vote for more Intel. We need video of the screen chewer.
                                Last edited by Russell; October 27, 2019, 05:51 AM.
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                                ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X