Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would parking a MG in a barn protect the barn from electrical fires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would parking a MG in a barn protect the barn from electrical fires?

Discuss.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Is the goal to hope that if the magic smoke escapes the MG, that it will soak into the barn's electrical system? Sort of like their approach to rust protection via engine oil?

Comment

Only if you take the battery out of the MG.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I thought they spontaneously combust regardless of whether a battery is in or not ...

Comment

It would break down into the technical definition of "parking." "Parking" in its most commonly used sense infers that you drive to a spot and turn the car off and leave it there for some predisposed length of time. "Pushing" a car to a spot and abandoning it there invokes a different verb - "Left." An example usage sentence could be, "The MG was left in a barn."

Time-endeared barn animal feces can eventually insulate bare wire connections and render an electrical fire in an un-wired building less likely.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Most British Barns are primarily composed of Stone. Coincidence? I think not.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Apparently they were thinking ahead to the British Auto Industry, centuries ago!
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                Apparently they were thinking ahead to the British Auto Industry, centuries ago!
                Hay spontanously combusts.
                Had Cali folks move a couple miles from the farm, hauled hay in brand new F-250. With dealer plates still.. Barn was total loss as was the F-250
                We layer rock salt on our bales to battle that.. Before we salted, dad would show me hot spots. After we salt our hay, no more hot spots..
                Plus the animals seem to like the salt

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Hay spontanously combusts.
                  Had Cali folks move a couple miles from the farm, hauled hay in brand new F-250. With dealer plates still.. Barn was total loss as was the F-250
                  We layer rock salt on our bales to battle that.. Before we salted, dad would show me hot spots. After we salt our hay, no more hot spots..
                  Plus the animals seem to like the salt
                  It's totally understandable that a barn would rather burn to the ground then house a Ford.

Comment

That happens if you put it up damp or too green.
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Wait a minute. This whole deal was started by a guy with a Fiat in the fleet! Magnetti Mirelli is at least as bad as Lucas.

Bob - crimp your hay. It dries MUCH quicker.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        Wait a minute. This whole deal was started by a guy with a Fiat in the fleet! Magnetti Mirelli is at least as bad as Lucas.

Dan
                        Problem when we do hay, usually hurry to beat a rainstorm or 2..
                        Used to haul around July 4.. I figured most of the seed is gone.. Feeding "straw". So do hay almost a month sooner. Strangely so do others around us..

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                          1) the Fiat is in a Costco shelter for this very reason (well that and to provide the mice a home)
                          2) Fiats can be fixed with a hammer, there is no such parallel to Lucas.
                          3) I think Bob looks better with flat hair, but you East Coasters do have a different style.

Comment

YES! The MG definitely protects the barn from fires. In much the same way as the famous oil well fire fighter, Red Adair, used to extinguish those massive infernos with a huge charge of dynamite. Exploding the TNT would consume all the oxygen in the vicinity, and the oil well fire would be choked out. Likewise, the constantly smoldering Lucas rats nest of wires consumes all the oxygen in the barn, choking out any potential structure fire before it can get started.

Click image for larger version  Name:	040808_red_adair_hmed.grid-6x2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.4 KB ID:	1252806
                            Last edited by Hemi Joel; October 4, 2019, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemi Joel View Post
                              YES! The MG definitely protects the barn from fires. In much the same way as the famous oil well fire fighter, Red Adair, used to extinguish those massive infernos with a huge charge of dynamite. Exploding the TNT would consume all the oxygen in the vicinity, and the oil well fire would be choked out. Likewise, the constantly smoldering Lucas rats nest of wires consumes all the oxygen in the barn, choking out any potential structure fire before it can get started. Click image for larger version

Name:	040808_red_adair_hmed.grid-6x2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1252806
                              Seems legit

Comment

Working...
                              X