No announcement yet.

MTOD winning races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect a drag car from Tony soon. Something tuner or something Mopar. He could hook up with Uncle Tony and some other guy named Tony for Tony, Tony, Tony.

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I'd guess, And maybe wrong, but.
      MTOD has a vested interest in getting views of THEIR coverage of Drag week and That 55 Chevy.
      The whole build from start to finish was mostly shown on M.T. owned shows , or the parent company owned.
      Much of the contacts that helped along the way, Like it or not didn't help just because they know of, Mike. They knew they get shameless plugs. Sure They may have still helped, but when they know what they did will be viewed by thousands of people, They tend to give more.
      Because much of the build and rebuild and rebuild was subject matter of the shows, some of the equipment used might have been expensed accounted to the show. No idea how they got paid or allotted for funds for parts/equipment on any of the show series (road kill/etc) . And frankly none of my business, but MTOD might want to get the clicks/hits/etc because of it. And not have what they put on the Channel be a rerun of what was already shown on Fin garage already.
      Not knocking it at all, if this was how it got built so be it, good on him. we all would jump at the chance to have vendors standing in line to help with your junk, either with , outright handing you the part/equipment or giving you a screaming deal that , most would never get.
      Whatever way it happen isn't anyone business. but I'd bet. MTOD knows if it wasn't for the shows, That car's build would've been not as easy to make happen. from a money stand point, and the folks willing to donate their time to keep the ball rolling.
      The old you wash our hand , we'll wash yours comes to mind.
      Over and above the business side of it.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Did you get beat by Finnegan or Motor Trend? it was my understanding that the point of Drag Week was to discourage sponsorship... am I wrong?
        Motor trend didn't directly sponsor that 55. It be no different than You working for a buddy and part of the deal was car parts.
        I mean, It could be said that the hamm, sponsored another car, with the info, the connections to parts, help etc.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          If you want to really get something out of Drag Week, you have to show up, with a car, and race. it's not much of a TV spectator sport.
          Pretty much what demolition derby is about....
          Knowing the players helps alot, same in your type of racing.

Comment

The way I voted was before reading Finn's explanation ... That made sense.
            But still...kinda reeks of being supressed.. Or controlled outcome..

My question now will be: If Mike lost hs class, would the video be chopped?

Comment

MTOD is not what bothers me. That Finnegan's on screen co-star is the administrator of the event is.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                MTOD is not what bothers me. That Finnegan's on screen co-star is the administrator of the event is.
                Read what I said in Finn's Garage thread..
                Promotors/tech people are frowned upon driving in their derbies altho there usually is not a rule for that..

Comment

DF is not the administrator of the event, is he? He's the inventor, and one of the announcers. But others are running the show.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm not buying a conspiracy theory one iota. Although I am merely a TV viewer or spectator when it's within driving distance............
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

How would that even matter?
                      The time slips are what they are and the math doesn't lie.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        DF is not the administrator of the event, is he? He's the inventor, and one of the announcers. But others are running the show.
                        I think some take exception to Tony helping Finn as Tony, as I understand, is an administrator or something?

It is hard to get guys on a last minute "drop everything" and go play.
                        Then Tony is in Finn's circle, so why not?
                        Those that were there say there was no favorism, so be it!

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                          I'm not buying a conspiracy theory one iota. Although I am merely a TV viewer or spectator when it's within driving distance............
                          In demolition derbies, if a tech buddy lets his buddy's illegal car in, intentional or not, at the end the cheating technology WILL BE EXPOSED.

Last derby we were in, a car had more braces than allowed on his bumper, he had alot of other stuff too, like thicker metal and so on..
                          BUT half way thru the show he lost his door bar (grader blades) and had to park... Complaining would make us "cry babies" and others look too closely at our car. While legal, you know someone LOOKING for wrong will find it, real or not.

Kinda hard to prove conspiracy in anything.

Comment

I get where you are coming from.. I would imagine it is alot of work, spread out over a week, you get tired, beat, make mistakes.
                            From what I am gathering, Co-pilot did not do his normal work.. Likely had to "go off the clock"

Comment

His win was earned. The only problem I have is jealousy. My employer will not pay me to go to dragweek.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

I see two problems in general with Drag Week. It is a great deal for the promoters. It is a great deal for the sponsors. It's not much of a deal for the SERIOUS racers. They make a mark and move on. Thing two is the organizers perpetuate drama over going fast. It quickly became a rousing success and since has just been coasting and riding on that success. A simple class structure became complex.

Also in the beginning racers insulted bracket racing by saying those who couldn't figure out how to go really fast went bracket racing. On Drag Week the guys who have it figured out go SECONDS faster than guys who don't, in classes that allow more and the slower guys don't seem to care because of the EVENT. Magazine events are always driven in part by INK, bur that isn't enough for a race series or even just a performance or even car show series.

But I can't just bash Drag Week. It is the biggest and best Drag Week we have. Just like Street Outlaws is the biggest and best drag racing TV series we have. I just can wish out loud they both might try to get even better. If they don't, so be it. If their success fades, they were warned.

Comment

Working...
                                X