MTOD winning races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eric View Post
    Cuz lets face it, the unlimited cars are not street cars. They never make it through a constructed vehicle inspection before a vin was issued in any state.
    Just because you don't have the gumption to build a car like that, doesn't make it "not a street car". They drive on the street. They have registration and insurance, and meet legal requirements well enough that they don't get impounded, while driving a thousand miles or so on the street.

I know everyone has their own definition of what THEY consider to be a street car, but the hardcore reality is that if it's driving on the street, registered and insured, it IS a street car. No matter what you want to believe.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      if it's driving on the street, registered and insured, it IS a street car.
      Quoted for the truth.

Comment

Just because you don't have the gumption to build a car like that, doesn't make it "not a street car". They drive on the street. They have registration and insurance, and meet legal requirements well enough that they don't get impounded, while driving a thousand miles or so on the street.

I know everyone has their own definition of what THEY consider to be a street car, but the hardcore reality is that if it's driving on the street, registered and insured, it IS a street car. No matter what you want to believe.
        Sorry, take any of them to go though any states constructed vehicle inspection (and not one that a buddy works at that push it through)that they(constructed vehicles) are required to do before being issued a vin, and not one of them would pass it.
        Throwing lights and tags on a race car doesn't LEGALLY cut it. Sure most rmv's will ask you, make/model/year and vin# and issue tags.
        Again, take them through any states , constructed vehicle pre vin issue inspection. They get issued a FAIL.

Don't hate on the messenger, You can believe they are legal street cars, because the rmv without looking at them took the owners words and issued tags. sure it'a a 2001 gmc ex cab s-15 p/u. yup, just as gm built it, yup yup yup yup. air bags still work, all the other dot approved mandated safety is still operational, along with the fed mandated emissions, required to be legal for public road use.
        nothing to see here, move along.

As far as the gumption, it be the lack of money.
        Last edited by Eric; October 8, 2019, 09:31 AM.

Comment

I don't know what state you live in, but it's apparently not the same state that the folks building fast street cars live in. Or perhaps you don't understand the rules as well as you'd like to?

The cops hanging around at the check points didn't seem to have any problems with the neat cars that stopped by...and they are the ones out in the field enforcing the law. What's your beef?

btw lack of money doesn't seem to stop those with enough gumption. Lack of gumption...not much I can do about that, sorry.
          My fabulous web page

Comment

I don't know what state you live in, but it's apparently not the same state that the folks building fast street cars live in. Or perhaps you don't understand the rules as well as you'd like to?

The cops hanging around at the check points didn't seem to have any problems with the neat cars that stopped by...and they are the ones out in the field enforcing the law. What's your beef?

btw lack of money doesn't seem to stop those with enough gumption. Lack of gumption...not much I can do about that, sorry.
            "everyone else was speeding" does not avoid a ticket. All it would take is for a cop to get a bee under his or her bonnet and stop cars for safety checks - then impound all the vehicles that do not have their federally mandated equipment still in place... you avoid the issue by building cars that didn't have the 'missing' equipment; however, simply because others are 'getting away' with what is a violation of law does not (by not getting ticketed) mean it's legal. What's funny (at least to me) is I make good money off people who taunt the police... keep talking, the folks that end up in that dragnet will want a scapegoat ...

As for gumption - not sure they carry that at Walmart (and even if they did is knock-off-gumption as potent?).
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Drag Week participants do get speeding tickets. I haven't heard of anyone having a car impounded.

A couple sheriffs deputies were walking around the pits on Sunday, checking out all the cars....there were a few at some of the checkpoints this year...there were a few officers at the hotel several of us stayed at in Waldorf VA...I think they understand that Drag Week participants are not a problem.

I guess you can make a case that the cars are illegal, if you're looking for excuses for not being able to compete. The guys who win, don't bother with excuses, they just go out and do it.
              My fabulous web page

Comment

Drag Week participants do get speeding tickets. I haven't heard of anyone having a car impounded.

A couple sheriffs deputies were walking around the pits on Sunday, checking out all the cars....there were a few at some of the checkpoints this year...there were a few officers at the hotel several of us stayed at in Waldorf VA...I think they understand that Drag Week participants are not a problem.

I guess you can make a case that the cars are illegal, if you're looking for excuses for not being able to compete. The guys who win, don't bother with excuses, they just go out and do it.
                So, in your eyes because the law looks the other way makes it legal?
                I'm not making excuses for not being able to compete .So stop try'n to deflect.
                We are talking about street cars, that means they need to be legal, just because the cop, looks the other way at all that is wrong with it. doesn't mean poop.
                Every state has to follow the mandated safety requirements and fed emission requirements, just because some get away with having tags on vehicles that should've never got tags. doesn't make it legal street car.
                AGAIN, I'LL SAY IT AGAIN DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!
                Last edited by Eric; October 8, 2019, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I just can't see making the cars slower helping Drag Week or the Unlimited Class. Too many RELATIVELY slow cars in IMHO too many classes as it is. I can't see much value in saying "I'm the fastest street car with a stock floor pan" or stock rear suspension or any of the other distinctions between Pro Street, Modified, Super Street and Street Race.

Constructed vehicle laws vary widely, but there are few laws in how much a vehicle can be DE-constructed and RE-constructed. Larry Larson used the stock cab and even fitted the stock doors on the street.

If you deliver drastic messages, stand ready to get shot at. I do. In a sport or hobby meant for ENTHUSIASTS how can people settle for a STATUS QUO? The event is as good as it will ever be. The rules are as good as they will ever be. In the case of NHRA, the cars are as fast as they ever SHOULD be. When I suggest changes I'm looking for progress and hoping to leave behind complacency.
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I guess you can make a case that the cars are illegal, if you're looking for excuses for not being able to compete.
                    Since what day did I ever have to make excuse to you for what I do? seriously, too far buddy.

Up until this point it was a discussion of what was legal, not legal and other's viewpoint about what they thought.... but now you want to make it personal? perhaps you may wish to step back a bit.... your choice....
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Hey, I'm just trying to figure out why you guys are bitching about cars not being street legal....that's the only explanation I can come up with, as to why you're concerned about it.

You know damn well that "practical" legality has a lot to do with enforcement, or lack of enforcement. If you don't drive like an idiot, you can get away with quite a bit. If DW guys were street racing and got caught, I expect it would be easy for an officer to find several "illegal" things about a lot of these cars. But in real life, they don't, and it's not an issue, at all.

From where I sit, it looks like several guys here are moaning about how you just can't do, what these guys are doing.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I dunno, I think everyone can do what they do BETTER with a little creative thinking and innovation.
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

the rest of us aren't as busy as Mike, so we have time to read magazines, internets, etc.

On Drag Week, Mike is just another one of us racers, struggling against all the stuff that happens. Although he has the added bonus of fans keeping him busy!
                          i can say im guilty of bothering Mr Finnegan while he was working on on his car at Cordova, MIke was incredibly gracious and stopped working to record a video message for my son Nick, who was at Basic Training.

Thanks again for taking the time a couple years ago.

RE: street car or not. blah. if it bothers ya, change the channel. unless you just like complaining. and if thats the case... change the channel anyway.
                          Charles

Comment

Hey, I'm just trying to figure out why you guys are bitching about cars not being street legal....that's the only explanation I can come up with, as to why you're concerned about it.

You know damn well that "practical" legality has a lot to do with enforcement, or lack of enforcement. If you don't drive like an idiot, you can get away with quite a bit. If DW guys were street racing and got caught, I expect it would be easy for an officer to find several "illegal" things about a lot of these cars. But in real life, they don't, and it's not an issue, at all.

From where I sit, it looks like several guys here are moaning about how you just can't do, what these guys are doing.
                            That's the way I'm seeing it too.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Got license plate, brake lights, headlights, maybe turn signals and horn... Street legal!
                              Sometimes they nitpick license plate light. Never did for no turns and no horn..
                              Surely need mufflers.. My first 57 had no tail pipes. Got stopped a few times. Just talked to me. Learned to not throttle so hard.
                              If you drive the fool, of course the blue dome flashes.. I just act like I am doing no wrong and am not bothered even when I speed.
                              Street legal or not.. Really should not be a topic here.. Silliness!
                              Rode a 78 Gold Wing with just pipes and a baffle.. Normal riding it was not loud, but crank it hard and fast, It'd shreik. Never got stopped.
                              Told the guy who bought it to not change the pipes.. He did to Harley mufflers and got ticket after ticket. Mufflers are legal, straight pipes are not.

Comment

I don't know, maybe because they are labeled as street cars?
                                I get it your opinion of a street car is if the owner can fool the RMV into giving them tags for it, and can not end up impounded, you call it good.as they didn't get caught breaking laws.
                                So, don't cry when someone runs a top fuel pipe rack, and powers the street drive with a battery pack and a motor driving the front wheels.
                                Cuz, well they added lights/signals/ and tags and insurance. It's a street car, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X