Got my first motorcycle! 1984 V30 Magna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got my first motorcycle! 1984 V30 Magna

Well, after years of saying I'm going to do it, I finally took the motorcycle riders course. So out I set looking for a motorcycle. I really wanted an old Kawasaki KZ, but none of them were close by or in my price range. After a couple of weeks of searching, I came across a 1984 Honda V30 Magna.
    Tires are 19 years old, so I'm going to get new tires pretty soon. Thinking about getting raised white letter tires for it, but undecided. The clutch needs to be bled about daily, and the guy I bought it from said it needed toe slave cylinder rebuilt, but it doesn't leak, so I think it just needs to be flushed.It sat for ten years before the previous guy got it and he didn't ride it too much. Think I might pull the tank, rear fender, and side panels to get them repainted. Horn button is missing and the left controls on the handlebar are extremely faded.
    Going to put LEDs for all the lights. Currently hunting for a headlight assembly/projector that I could run a better bulb, like an HID or LED in. Want to keep the rectangular headlight, I kind of like it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	84 Magna.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1253080
    Attached Files
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Great little learner bike .. pay attention in class and practice the maneuvers till you can perfect them every time ... may save your life someday.

Then have fun and ask questions.

Comment

Yup, already took the class. I do have to work on a few things, tight u turns being a bit tougher for me

Comment

Very cool! If I lived in a more rural environment I'd be interested in a bike but here in town the traffic is pretty intense for bike riding. I rode a lot in my younger days but can't claim to be a skilled rider. It sounds like you're going about it properly.

Dan

Comment

Be careful converting the headlight to LED. Lots of these old scoots need a load to keep the rectifier alive.

Cool ok bike though. Got my wife a KZ and I ride it more than her. Fun ride.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

"should" be Halogen. Be plenty bright.
            Look for "H2" on bottom or top of lenses.

Comment

Those Honda V4's are an engineering marvel!
              Build quality of those bikes is also top notch. The Slave cylinder may be leaking into the engine. I JUST went through this on my NEW Husqvarna Dirt bike :/
              Have fun
              Last edited by mike343sharpstick; October 9, 2019, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Finally got my full endorsement today so rode around a bit, needed to bleed the clutch twice. Ordered a new gasket kit for the slave cylinder. It rattles a lot, and only one running light works, and it's not the bulb, signals work fine though.

Comment

If my memory serves me right the V30 is 750 cc's should be a smooth rider.. the V45's were rockets
                  your kids can have their own racecar www.aasbd.org

Comment

Originally posted by derbydad276 View Post
                    If my memory serves me right the V30 is 750 cc's should be a smooth rider.. the V45's were rockets
                    My understanding V-65 was 1100 or 1200cc
                    V-45 was 750cc
                    V-30 was 500 cc.
                    Reasoning is 1000 cc is 60 cu inch.
                    But I may have been told wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

My understanding V-65 was 1100 or 1200cc
                      V-45 was 750cc
                      V-30 was 500 cc.
                      Reasoning is 1000 cc is 60 cu inch.
                      But I may have been told wrong
                      ok... the 80's are a little fuzzy ... its was the V65 that could make you sh*t your pants ...
                      your kids can have their own racecar www.aasbd.org

Comment

Originally posted by derbydad276 View Post

ok... the 80's are a little fuzzy ... its was the V65 that could make you sh*t your pants ...
                        Yes. Test rode one after riding an 850 triple.. 135 mph like that!
                        Insurance was almost 3X the 850!
                        Rode 2 different V45's. One had cams... The cammed one was fast!

Comment

Working...
                        X