Clean Drinking Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean Drinking Water

I think I may have mentioned on here that, courtesy of Chemours (a division of DuPont IIRC) we have GenX (a type of PFAS) in our water. The local and State authorities are coming down on them as hard as possible but what's done is done. At least for now, the only way to get that junk out of our water is with a Reverse Osmosis (RO) treatment system. ME drinks lots of water as does Little Andy so we decided to go with an undersink system with dedicated faucet to we could get safe water. Luckily, the undersink systems aren't terminally pricey.

As usual, I had to come up with some weird way to do the installation. Our kitchen sink shares a wall with the laundry room so I figured I might as well poke the lines thru the wall and keep the system out in the open where I can service it easily. So here's the pics:

Here are the lines under the sink. The blue one goes up to the afore-mentioned dedicated faucet and the orange one is water supply to the unit. The ball valve was left over from the previous non-RO filter so I just tied in there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2090 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	259.9 KB ID:	1254958

The RO system sitting on a PVC lumber base that I built using SS screws and PVC glue. I wanted it off the floor but also wanted no chance of rot or rust. The supplier suggested that I keep the tank in its bag just to keep it clean so I did.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2091.jpg Views:	1 Size:	300.8 KB ID:	1254959

And a final shot to show how I ran the drain. There is a cleanout for the kitchen vent that was poking out thru the drywall so rather than use the saddle clamp they sent with the unit I figured I might as well use what was right in front of me. I'll probably tie that line to the wall at some point.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2092.jpg Views:	1 Size:	330.4 KB ID:	1254960

Right now the system is charging. That takes a while (like, 3 hours and that might have to be repeated) but as soon as it's charged up it can run about a year with no attention from us. The filters should be changed about once/year.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; November 2, 2019, 03:21 PM.

I love how you've integrated the old-style microphone stands into the system. Rock on!!!!!
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

That looks like way too much fun. But you did a good job, as usual!

I recently got to fix the plumbing on our shared well water storage system. 2" PVC Tee cracked, took a few hours to get it all put back together. The valve at lower left corner was not working properly, either, so had to change that out as well. All better now. 8 houses use the well.

No chemical processing nearby, so I drink it straight out of the tap. I enjoy that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	leak 20191025.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	1254970
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

it is more than lucky to have clean water.
        I am in a HUD building in rural maine.

I make a habit of local bnews and see my maintenance man accepting an award for the best water in maine.. this building I live in.
        I laughed out loud.

chemistry did me in, to bein disabled housing and here I am.

last night the water went out, must have flooded the 60 foot deep pathway. He does change a filter looking thing once and awhile. fills up with iron and minerals. went mre than a year this round.
        This place has something like the desert gets way underground.
        it flows...with dry ground above.

I suppose that keeps poland springs going too.

Glad you got the extra installed, clean water is more than necessary. it is life and death.
        I think it added to my years, as wounded as i was (my guts shut down - something that goes with after death)
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
          I love how you've integrated the old-style microphone stands into the system. Rock on!!!!!
          Are there new-fangled mic stands? Those are ones we used when ME sang with a chorus in Ann Arbor. We haven't needed them but they still work perfectly so we keep them and the PA around 'cause you just never know.

Dan

Comment

I use a salt-system too, that said, it takes the worst taste out (we have manganese in our water) but I buy water by the 5 gallon carboy for drinking.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I live on the opposite side of the Cape Fear River from that DuPont plant that is poisoning much ground water over there. This is the same plant that Dan is talking about. He is well over a 100 miles down stream. I have a friend that live within a few miles of the plant and though they are yet to see direct effects he some of his nearby neighbors are. Supposedly DuPont is providing bottled water to those folks experiencing problems but as you might expect they are not doing as much as the supposedly are supposed to be. Reports of sores and such on pets and some wild animals (according to hunters in that area) are being made. It is an ugly situation. I live about four miles on the opposite side of the river and we have well water. I get it checked for bad stuff annually and the bad stuff has not be discovered in our water or close by neighbors. This situation has been going on for a long time and DuPont is still trying to dodge their responsibility for any of the poisoning of wells and parts of the river. I guess I should not be surprised.

Comment

Best of luck, Joe. Good that you're keeping an eye on the well. We need to get together and SOON!

Dan

Comment

Florida is all a huge filter, with all the various porous soil and stone .. we are lucky to have beautiful clear water straight from our aquifer well.

Comment

Hence the town named "Clearwater". Mom lived there for over 40 years and the water is, indeed, clear though it does have a distinct smell - not sure what causes that aroma.

Dan

Comment

I lived in Clearwater from 1959 - 65 and it was a wonderful place to be.

Comment

Worked in a sawmill up into the foothills of the Coast Range. Left my water jug at home.. We always packed in water no matter, woods or mill working.. Stores did not really sell water in 72-3-4. Went to the fire faucet, foreman says it is well water not log pond water... Took several big gulps... All the rest of the day I had burps that tasted like farts smell! Sulphuric. Couple move into the area to run a gas station/store, man was squatting at the well.. Several jugs of bleach emptied into it. Wanted to get rid of the smell no dice! A friend nearby that store children pooled their money and got the folks a $5000 filter system and it worked. Every house that had that water table smells like somebody never flushed #2 down. Plants love that water.

Comment

Dunno why the above post runs on. It was sectioned!

Comment

No problem! The point is well taken - not all water is usable (or should be used). And don't forget your water jug at home! Our water is interesting as GenX is evidently tasteless and odorless, at least after CFPUA (our water company) filters it and sends it thru the pipes. Doesn't mean 'tain't dangerous.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X