Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just In - Hulman Sells Indianapolis Motor Speedway !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just In - Hulman Sells Indianapolis Motor Speedway !

Selling to Roger Penske...

https://racer.com/2019/11/04/breakin...kkGPeY2xDdRO5U
    Last edited by silver_bullet; November 4, 2019, 10:14 AM.
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Maybe add more events?

Comment

That would fit the Penske business model....
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

That's a surprise to me.....I guess the next generation wanted to take the money and run.
        Now we will see how the IRL gets changed.......hopefully they go back towards the days of CART.
        Last edited by oletrux4evr; November 4, 2019, 04:05 PM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Dan

Comment

Roger is a smart cookie. He'll kick ass in Tony Hulman's spot.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I think the Hulmans have done a great job . But I am looking forward to seeing what a fresh take from a car driver and owners perspective will do .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Could be the Hulmans see the writing on the wall. Empty seats and low TV rating. Racing ain't what it use to be folks. NASCAR sold itself to a private company last month.
                Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                  Empty seats and low TV rating. Racing ain't what it use to be folks. NASCAR sold itself to a private company last month.
                  The economy is good, so it is not for lack of funds, people are choosing to spend their money on other things (or they are just doing less). I believe over time, it evolved too far away from the common man that were the fans.

Comment

NASCAR and the IRL may have empty seats and low ratings, but I don't think the Indy 500 does. I do not know if the 500 will make up for the obvious lower attendance of the Brickyard 400......
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Meh, problem with motorsports is the ownership is out of touch, and Have no clue on how to bring in younger fans.
                      I'm sure ,the new ownership will help draw series sponsorship and make the series better, but only to the 40+ age group.
                      But the problem is what worked in the 70-90's won't work today, sure those that have been into motorsports for decades will love it, but INDY car and NASCAR. have a huge problem. they are centered around what worked decades ago, or in the latters case, try things hoping it help, getting the older fans pissed and not really doing anything to gain younger fans or team owners.
                      BOTH, need a lower series that go after the younger fans with different marketing and racing and leave the "halo" series to the way it was.
                      INDY CAR as far as I know doesn't have one(lower series) that runs the same week end events a day earlier than the main show.
                      Nascar screwed up over a decade ago. They should've left the CUP series alone, no chase/playoffs, no stages, and no crash clock,etc.
                      I can't see fans getting out of their recliner at home knowing that if their driver/team gets in a crash, they are most likely done for the day and parked, why spend the money to drive that far to an event and the hotels and all that, and then have your driver have to pack it up. Went the car can be fixed and back out on the track.

They should've at least in my opinion, used the lower series for the new ideas, the chase/play offs, the stages, To make it different than the big boys series.
                      The Cup racing should be one planned green flag, no stages. And the whole season should matter by points, not what it has become.

Another issue is cost, I was watching a youtube video of a female driver in an even lower series iirc ARCA or K&N , and The cost to run a car even at that level is mind blowing,
                      Here is the problem, you can't get younger car/team owners when the buy in is so high, that no one can afford it. They look almost the same as the higher level cars, That series should be , you cut up a street car, dropped it over a frame and cage, chassis. and went racing.
                      Untill they get the lower level racing affordable , it is going to die a slow death.
                      Series owners need to make it worth wild for the fans to get off their butts, and goto an event, it isn't the70/80/90's anymore, They are fighting with everyone having a 50+ inch tv at home to watch the events. The tv coverage seems really good. maybe TOO good, for it's own good. I've never been to an even live, as I'm in Brazil, but if the t.v. coverage is anything like the youtube video's of them, it is very very good.
                      Do they black out the events to the local (within driving distance) area on t.v? if not they need to start.
                      I Think Nascar at least , fans said enough when they made it that, you crash you get x minutes to fix it and if not, you're parked, They didn't think of the fans end of it. , that is, why am I going to go to an event and hope I get to watch my driver/team race when if in a wreck they might be done for the day.
                      IWe don't have nascar here at that level, so I have no idea of what a hotel stay and tickets cost. but I'm guessing it suck to plan on going, and then 15 minutes into it, the team you came to cheer on is done.
                      That would be like going to a ball game and your team walking off the field and not going back on, for the rest of the event.
                      Last edited by Eric; November 6, 2019, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Eric, You'd crap your pants if you knew what I and my kids spend to run 2 "fairgrounds" demolition derby cars Blizzard Bash in Kansas City has some pretty high buck cars... Any motorsport is spendy.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

The economy is good, so it is not for lack of funds, people are choosing to spend their money on other things (or they are just doing less). I believe over time, it evolved too far away from the common man that were the fans.
                          Maybe so, or, because the economy is good, people found a new better paying job, that they don't have the time/years in for as many vacations as they once had. and have to pick what the whole family agreed on.
                          Where I'm from, people put up with employers that treated their help like crap when the economy and job market was crap, those employees, jump ship when the job market gets good, knowing what type of employer they were working for.
                          Besides ,why go, when you have a nice seat with food and drink and a 50"+ tv to watch it from.
                          Motorsports "draw" has always been the speed and the RISK!!.
                          The talking heads in the booth, praising the safety equipment ,every chance they get, tells the people watching that it isn't risky anymore.
                          Yes, most into it more than a passing fad, understand it still is a very risky job, but most fans don't honestly know that after them watching the driver walk away and them having a camera in their face 5 minutes later acting like nothing happened.
                          The risk element isn't there anymore for the "draw".
                          They should leave the safety advancements out of the fans earshot, and dare I say, put the camera in the crew chiefs face and not the driver, so the fan wonders why the driver isn't in the lens.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            Eric, You'd crap your pants if you knew what I and my kids spend to run 2 "fairgrounds" demolition derby cars Blizzard Bash in Kansas City has some pretty high buck cars... Any motorsport is spendy.
                            I'm sure, but I doubt, it is 100k plus spendy for one chassis/engine combo.
                            It isn't just the racing series in your country. they all have ,what is the phase you guys use, jump the fish, no, jump the shark, I think it is.
                            anyways. when the lowest series is now requiring the seat warmer to bring money/sponsorship with them if they want a ride. it is gotten too costly for new blood to even think of diving into ,no matter how much they love too.
                            Last edited by Eric; November 6, 2019, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Give it up, guys. Eric is determined to have the last word on this thread.
                              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Working...
                              X