Ford's Finally Killing the Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    One of these things is not like the other!
    That's uncanny - that's exactly what Red looks like parked next to Superman's Corvette. Exactly. All of a sudden Red looks like a bread truck, so I don't park him next to SM's Corvette anymore. I mean, where's the extra 1000 pounds been hiding? Well, up, down and sideways, all over.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Yup, they couldn't just make up a new name, they had to whore out the name of an ICON.........and made a MACHery of it!!

This is even more f'ing ridiculous than when Dodge put a wing across the back end of a pickup.........put a bunch of tacky decals on it, and called it a DAYTONA

Comment

I don't see a problem with a true electric mustang, but that is a an electric escape. So why not call it the Escape Mach E? Not hating the crossover, but I am hating the name.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Well if it blows up when you hit it they could call it a Pinto .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I believe the SUV is an addition to the line, not a replacement for the car. They are "borrowing" the name to generate the interest. It worked. They made you look!
            LOOKING does NOTHING if people don’t BUY.
            58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

One of these things is not like the other!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-mustang-mach-e.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1256325
              Say, isn't that the new Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 Cobra Boss Bullitt Mach 1 SVO Turbo Launch Edition in the center there?

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post

Say, isn't that the new Ford Shelby Mustang GT500 Cobra Boss Bullitt Mach 1 SVO Turbo Launch Edition in the center there?
                Nope. That's the Corporation Accountants Barfed All Over An Iconic Brand Name version in the center. Damn shame.

Andy - Good to hear from you!

Dan

Comment

Waiting for the furor over the top secret Corvette electric SUV! Motor in the middle!
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

The Corvette Grand E-Sport?

Comment

If not a SUV a 3/4 size the dimensions of a Tesla Roadster.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                        They had a mighty good long run. It's a sign of the times, when the youngsters start filtering into the board room. The 2021 Mustang Mach E revealed. This is like putting a Corvette emblem on a fiberglass trash can and calling it a Corvette. Why even bother to defame the name?
                        Yawn,
                        From what I've read of the history of the mustang (not that many here )
                        Ford never cared if they rocked the boat.
                        They said it was dead when they made it bigger and heavier in 68, then again when they based it off a pinto, Then in the late 70's when the v8 was to be said to all but dead, then when Ford was going to make it front wheel drive , but changed their minds and named that a probe.
                        If they want to keep selling them they need to offer an electric to appeal to the younger generation that has been told that vehicles bad, clean air good, emissions good if out of sight, e.I. electric plant not in their back yard.
                        The out of sight out of mind, thing.
                        Sadly, none of the brands will be able to build i.c.e. v8 performance cars if the trend of trucks keeps up, And 4 banger turbo pony cars are not selling.
                        If ford was smart they bring back the falcon, rear drive 4 banger turbo, bet it sell. but the idea of a turbo 4 in a pony car just isn't going to fly.
                        I think with your epa's rules, the only way these cars will stick around is either electric, or people forced into buying the trbo 4's as the v8's will be priced out of many folks hands.

Comment

Ford took the Thunderbird from a 2 seat sports car that was to compete with the Euro cars that were coming into the US. Corvette really wasn't much of a factor thus giving Ford grief for the decision to make the t-bird a larger then 4 seat car isn't terribly fair because when the decision was made - they had to guess whether or not Corvette was going to survive.... ultimately, they sold more t-birds then GM sold Corvettes so the decision made sense fiscally HOWEVER, letting the bean counters drive the decision making process is beyond stupid. Bean counters don't buy new cars.

Mustang, like Camaro, is a sports car and making either into a CUV is a bad, long-term decision. Or let me put it another way, no one who has bought a new Blazer did so because it is named a Blazer. No one will buy an e-stang because it's a Mustang, and that should be the entire analysis of whether or not they should do it. That said, I do not think the political winds are going to blow in the electrification direction for the foreseeable future - thus, long term this could be a very bad decision for Ford (who currently is starting to feel the pinch of not having enough cash)....
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

In hindsight, why not call it the E-Bird?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              Ford took the Thunderbird from a 2 seat sports car that was to compete with the Euro cars that were coming into the US. Corvette really wasn't much of a factor thus giving Ford grief for the decision to make the t-bird a larger then 4 seat car isn't terribly fair because when the decision was made - they had to guess whether or not Corvette was going to survive.... ultimately, they sold more t-birds then GM sold Corvettes so the decision made sense fiscally HOWEVER, letting the bean counters drive the decision making process is beyond stupid. Bean counters don't buy new cars.

Mustang, like Camaro, is a sports car and making either into a CUV is a bad, long-term decision. Or let me put it another way, no one who has bought a new Blazer did so because it is named a Blazer. No one will buy an e-stang because it's a Mustang, and that should be the entire analysis of whether or not they should do it. That said, I do not think the political winds are going to blow in the electrification direction for the foreseeable future - thus, long term this could be a very bad decision for Ford (who currently is starting to feel the pinch of not having enough cash)....
                              I'm not a fan of electrics, but if the electric is as fast or faster than the i.c.e. car and is lighter or better balanced because they can place the batteries where ever they want and are low.
                              Some will buy because of stat's. if it is faster and runs rings around the i.c.e. on a road course, they'll be in. They already pipe engine noise into the cars to make the driver happy, I can see an electric pony car, having that big block lope, or the flat crank v8 5.0 sound pumped in.
                              Again, not a fan. I just can't see where they are going to come up with the power to feed all these things, if places have rolling black outs or, worse, a storm that cuts power for along time.

Comment

As easy as it is to hate electric cars, it's hard to hate an 11 second daily driver. The jury is still out on the Mustang Mach E GT. Kinda dumb they didn't lead with it IMHO.
                                Last edited by RockJustRock; November 20, 2019, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X