No announcement yet.

Ford's Finally Killing the Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The issue with electrics remains range. In this month's SAE magazine there's an article of a reporter trying to go from SAE headquarters in PA to Detroit and back in a Jag E-Pace. The travelogue was a horror story of limited range and the on-board indication of remaining battery power not measuring up to advertised abilities. BTW - when he had to pay for a charge (like on the Turnpike) gas would have been cheaper. Granted it'll get better, especially if solid state batteries come on line, but for now the technology is not to my mind "ripe".

And Eric - the projections 10-20 years out are showing ICE's to make up at least 70% of the new car fleet so don't write 'em off just yet. I don't know if those projection include trucks and if so what classes of trucks.

Again, my complaint isn't with the vehicle (not that I'm going to buy one) it's about ruining an iconic name.

Dan

Comment

But the potential is there for GREAT Hot Rods!
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Lipstick on a pig and it is still *FAT*!

Click image for larger version

Name:	fat.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	1256495

Comment

Lots talky in other vids of this car... I know nothing except it is electric ...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVTIpS5zb4

Comment

Loosely related....

Name:	cybertruck-onroad.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	1256568

Name:	cybertruck-bed.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1256569

Wear black and say "Dead or alive you're coming with me!".

Comment

Don't worry - those windows are bulletproof but watch out for baseballs.

Dan

Comment

I just see this as Tesla being down 2 radical new vehicles as the new roadster is still mere vapor as well.

Name:	tesla-roadster-red-1b.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	1256628

Comment

Yuck! I don't oppose the coming of "E" vehicles, but naming something like this a Mustang is repulsive.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    As easy as it is to hate electric cars, it's hard to hate an 11 second daily driver. The jury is still out on the Mustang Mach E GT. Kinda dumb they didn't lead with it IMHO.
                    make it AWD , or better yet switchable allwheel and rear only. Rear only for the fun, awd for the squat and go.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                      The issue with electrics remains range. In this month's SAE magazine there's an article of a reporter trying to go from SAE headquarters in PA to Detroit and back in a Jag E-Pace. The travelogue was a horror story of limited range and the on-board indication of remaining battery power not measuring up to advertised abilities. BTW - when he had to pay for a charge (like on the Turnpike) gas would have been cheaper. Granted it'll get better, especially if solid state batteries come on line, but for now the technology is not to my mind "ripe".

And Eric - the projections 10-20 years out are showing ICE's to make up at least 70% of the new car fleet so don't write 'em off just yet. I don't know if those projection include trucks and if so what classes of trucks.

Again, my complaint isn't with the vehicle (not that I'm going to buy one) it's about ruining an iconic name.

Dan
                      Iconic name plate, I can see that ,if Ford never built a mustang II.
                      I Think the electric should've been put in the fuson, instead of killing it.
                      I don't see electrics taking and killing off the I.C.E. but I do see them both in use.
                      Tesla's truck will be a fail. It's range empty might sound great, but then load it with gear, 4 people and towing a rv or trailer.
                      But, I'm sure the bro-hauler crowd, that never uses the truck as a truck, will buy them.
                      It looks like a vehicle straight out of a mid 80's video game.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                        They had a mighty good long run. It's a sign of the times, when the youngsters start filtering into the board room. The 2021 Mustang Mach E revealed. This is like putting a Corvette emblem on a fiberglass trash can and calling it a Corvette. Why even bother to defame the name?
                        Seems many have selective memories. 1974-1978 anyone. I get it, that gets a pass because a boomer designed it, RIGHT,,
                        And they wonder why the youth just nod, and say, ok,boomer. and walk away. comments like what you posted.
                        I think Ford missed the boat, They should name it the Wild "E" coyote , As they named the "it's not an updated mod motor, the Coyote, and why not name the electric one this.
                        The new Capri, powered by the new wild E coyote motor.

maybe the Wild E coyote, is better saved for the mopar electric, to go with the whole roadrunner theme
                        Last edited by Eric; November 27, 2019, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          ...Seems many have selective memories. 1974-1978 anyone ...
                          what would all the hot rod builders do without the MKII front suspension and R&P steering?
                          Last edited by cstmwgn; November 28, 2019, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                            what would all the hot rod builders do without the MKII front suspension and R&P steering?
                            I'm sure they have used something else. you know, like the pinto parts, you'll never hear the rod guys state "It's got a pinto rack and front spindles. And that is what they have.

Comment

Working...
                            X