hot stuff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hot stuff...

A long time ago, I built a metal casting furnace, it hadn't seen much use, but I has been collecting cans for a while and decided to try and melt them down. I ended up with a huge box of crushed cans, and I can say for sure I won't do this again with cans again, they take up too much space, take too long to melt, and have a ton of waste...

load it!

you can see the massive amount of dross I removed... yes there's some aluminum mixed in, but not enough to work for.

I tried to carefully pour the metal into these muffin tins to make small uniform ingots, it's pretty difficult to do, I need to com up with a better system.

busted up

The black box was full (force the lid on full) and the 5 gallon bucket was about 1/3 of the way. it didn't even fill the crucible, which is good for about 16 pounds of aluminum at a time. I added in a bunch of old brackets and parts/pieces from other projects to completely fill the crucible. You can see that now, the entire tub fits in about half of a five gallon bucket.

on an interesting note, the leftovers in the bottom of the crucible revealed that not all of the cans fully melted, some of them melted, and then stuck to the bottom some how, here if you look carefully, you can see the top of a redbull can, the can tab, and even some writing... my furnace does a good job of starving the crucible of oxygen, I wonder if that's what allowed the can to be preserved so well.

here is one of the ingots...

Last edited by ejs262; November 24, 2019, 05:47 PM.
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
    1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
    2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

The best use of the aluminum.

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

One of my sons started working at Arconic this year....he gets to play with molten aluminum all day long, at work.

That's a neat furnace! another thing I'd like to play with, but not enough that I actually pursue it.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        The best use of the aluminum.
        While those are cool, I'm going to use it to make parts for my many projects.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          One of my sons started working at Arconic this year....he gets to play with molten aluminum all day long, at work.

That's a neat furnace! another thing I'd like to play with, but not enough that I actually pursue it.
          it wasn't hard to make, a bunch of fire cement and perlite, mixed together. it's not the greatest quality, but it get the job done.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Your hot stuff is very cool.

Comment

My kid tried to melt broken aluminum rims... Took forever..He wanted to cast some small parts. I would drop aluminum/steel (dirty aluminum) in a water heater burn barrel fueled by chopped up pallets and the aluminum would run out the air feed and solidify on the ground. got a better price that way.. In high school he took the HURST t-handle off my Trans Am and made 3 out of brass.

Comment

as you found out, the biggest problem with cans is they're very dirty - most of that is the ink on the can. When recycling companies melt cans, they burn the ink off first then melt the can. melting is fun, I have a furnace too....
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                X