Shipping a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a car

So, now that I have a little more free time at my shore command, I'm trying to get my AMX out here and get her road worthy again.
    I've never shipped a car myself. Anybody have any recommendations or tips?
    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

I put 'em on my trailer and drive. But I suppose there must be another way.......

Good luck on this (I'm no help at all, am I?)

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; December 4, 2019, 09:37 AM.

Comment

there are some important things to consider....like, where is it, where is it going, and what condition is it in.

Having it non-driveable makes it cost more.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I shipped a car from N. Carolina and a car to New Jersey.... here's what I learned.
        Price matters - but more it indicates the service you should expect. There are closed carriers, open carriers, and ones I'll call RVers.
        Closed carriers are the safest but usually double (at least) open carriers.
        Open carriers come in two flavors, Insured and not insured.
        RV'ers I know a few and mostly they are people with a truck - they can be really good or you may never see your car again, thus with them, especially, you need to verify everything (insurance, vehicle ownership, reputation, etc).

Pricing.... $5000 for closed carriers, $1200-$2500 for open, $700-1200 for gypsy (uninsured) truckers. One thing about uninsured and insured - you'll learn about freight insurance and it is VASTLY different then car insurance. For that reason, get your own insurance as either gap or coverage.

In no way should you presume moral fiber of any of them by their cost but as the cost drops you should spend more time verifying who they are.

Which brings me to gypsy truckers. Usually these are guys who own their own truck, may not speak english (no judgment), and get their loads through brokers. Whatever you do, if you use a broker, use a disposable cell phone and a burner email account.... they will fill your inbox. Usually there is zero need to contact multiple brokers because they simply post to a list where the driver's bid for loads.

RV'ers, the only ones I know (I know 2) are in the same price range as the closed carrier; if you get lucky you can post on a forum and get a privateer (ala Red Ball) however, caveat emptor is the word of the day.

You're in the military - you have another option, that is they transport your stuff.... I've heard really good stories and horror stories on that but have no direct experience - just know that it is available to you.

Finally, AIA has transport options as well - obviously wrecked cars are transported all over the place and that is part of their business. They are cheap and insured but never forget they are going to forklift your vehicle off the trailer (whether or not it runs)....

one last thing, if you can make it drive/stop/turn, it opens up your options and reduces the cost
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 4, 2019, 11:45 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

where from/to? if it's California to Washington, I may know someone who's doing that commute in the near future.

Comment

I had a good experience with the gypsy trucker broker method when the TR7 came to Ohio from Arizona. It was a non runner rolling chassis. They arrived a day earlier than expected but otherwise all was as expected.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
              I had a good experience with the gypsy trucker broker method when the TR7 came to Ohio from Arizona. It was a non runner rolling chassis. They arrived a day earlier than expected but otherwise all was as expected.
              been enjoying driving it every day now that it runs?

Comment

I also had a good experience with the broker method .. a Russian trucker with an open carrier picked up the '63 Nova SS in Idaho and delivered to me in Florida for $650 (runner) and was on time. This was in 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                  I also had a good experience with the broker method .. a Russian trucker with an open carrier picked up the '63 Nova SS in Idaho and delivered to me in Florida for $650 (runner) and was on time. This was in 2007.
                  those sneaky Russians, just a year later they were building my bunker... err.... barn

Comment

This is from NJ to WA, so I know it's going to be pricey. The car runs and sort of drives. Could drive onto a trailer.
                    Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback View Post
                      The car runs and sort of drives. Could drive onto a trailer.
                      That will save a lot of bucks and increases the marketability of your job's bid. Send it open carrier and that's about as cheap as you're going to get.

Comment

Can't you get it shipped through the service branch.
                        Don't they ship vehicles for those overseas? might be worth a look.

Comment

They do ship overseas, but he's not trying to get it overseas.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            They do ship overseas, but he's not trying to get it overseas.
                            ok, sure, but what do they do, when stationed at one place and ordered to another. Do they offer transport from a to b? sure you might have to wait till something happens to be going that way, but.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle Kammback View Post
                              This is from NJ to WA, so I know it's going to be pricey. The car runs and sort of drives. Could drive onto a trailer.
                              this has been years, but a 'good' open carrier who put it on the top charged $1200 (from NC, 2011). AIA charged the guy who bought my Skylark $700 to haul it to NJ (2012) - and caused more then a little under-carriage damage (the Skylark didn't have a motor). While it's been years, that price hasn't changed much because a year or so ago, I almost bought another to be shipped here...
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 7, 2019, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X