Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's play a game: what tow rig to pull an enclosed car trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's play a game: what tow rig to pull an enclosed car trailer?

Evening kids...trust we are all doing well?

So...as it's been far too long and I've not been here cattle prodding people, I've decided to do something either really great in my life, or well, it's merely a midlife crisis and I'm looking to slow the pace of life a bit.

So...if anyone recalls...back in May 2019 I found a empty lonesome 65+ year old Oldsmobile Chevy dealership in the SE USA sitting empty, forlorn and begging for new life.
    In my continuing efforts to question my own sanity, I'm switching gears in my life, going into business with a long time buddy, and we are getting into restorations and wrenching, and all the other fun stuff that comes with questioning the sanity of guys who like 1970's Ford Torinos and Rancheros.

So...after pricing out my moving needs with Uhaul...and becoming discontent with the idea of paying Uhaul over $6K to rent two 26 foot trucks and two 6x12 trailers, for two trips...{excluding my fuel costs} I've decided to just buy an enclosed car trailer, and source a solid used F350 to pull the trailer.

Now. My problem comes in with the truck, mores than the trailer.

It seems everything I am used to running...well, let's be honest. The OBS 92-97 F series trucks are all getting to be old, long in the tooth and more well used...than a rented mule, or the questionable tender date you had last month that required multiple trips and ointment...

I've been looking into super duty trucks...and seeing stuff that all seem to be 250-350K miles and I'm like you guys are baked! for the asking prices.
    Probably also because I want something with a third pedal and a floor shifted transfer case, I leaves me questioning my sanity.
    Well, scratch that, I am a Ford Torino owner. There is no sanity here.

Anyway...carrying on...
    Does one consider a gasser V10 truck?
    Or play the Russian roulette with a 6.0 Powerstroke?

I found a 2005 F350 Dually, 6 speed, extended cab with a tick over 142K miles...but the heads are not studded but it has been EGR deleted and all new injectors and glow plugs...
    BUT the 6.0 international V8...not exactly the best track record out there...
    I was honestly depressed as hell as I missed out on a 2001 Superduty with 131K, V10 and a 4 or 5 speed automatic {can't recall the change to the 5 speed automatics}.

I did find an oddball, creampuff 1997 OBS that is a 351W/5 speed 2WD SRW F150 crew cab...but the towing capacity of only 7800 pounds leaves me feeling depressed because I know I would max out that truck too easy with an enclosed trailer and cargo.
    But...ugh. Basic truck. Clean truck. roll up windows and vent windows UGH. It calls out to my desire for simplicity.

Anyways...I am looking at needing to locate a solid truck right around New Years.
    If you guys see something...feel free to drop me a line, but I am not able to buy until right around New Years.

Last caveat for the truck...I am trying to not spend over $15K on the truck. I know. Being difficult here!

Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

All I can Say.......
    GOOD LUCK on this new Adventure !!!
    And Good Luck with the Language Barrier coming out of Nebraska.
    Let us in on your new shop address, maybe my friend "The Hammer" can stop in. He's from L.A. ,,,,,,,,Lower Alabama
    Can't help you on a truck, my tow rig is a Gas Guzzling 1985 E350, 460 cu in 4 bbl, C-6, called "The Shaggin Wagon" and has over 220,000 miles on her,
    the Rust Cancer is going to explode this year. Runs great, but I'm watching estate sales to find her replacement.

Dat Displaced Yooper
    Capt

Comment

how much weight is this trailer?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        how much weight is this trailer?
        If I take a standard 24 foot enclosed trailer, 5200 pound axles, trailer dry is around 3600-3800 pounds. Which on a 10K GVWR puts me at 6200 pounds capacity of cargo.
        Without weighing every single box on a scale, I'm assuming I am going to be pulling around 9K to 10K for total trailer weight and then you have to factor the bed of the truck being loaded as well.
        Then toss in a load of fuel, my 300# of pudding, and probably knowing my loving wife, 100 pounds snacks for the road trip as she thinks I'll starve.
        Andrew
        1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
        2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Gotta tell ya - I LOVE my Dodge/Cummins. Mine has the 24 valve 5.9 and it's killer and tough - beyond a doubt the finest trailer tow-er I've ever had and I've had a bunch. They're still not cheap though they are old enough for the price to not be totally astronomic. I tow my open trailer w.Mutt (pretty close to 5K lbs) over the mountains at 75MPH with the cruise on and without issue. I know you said Ford but the Cummins is a real, tough ol' Diesel. Replace the Bosch lift pump with a Fass and if it's an automatic go to a Banks billet converter and you're good to go. The manuals obviously don't require the converter change but can be hard to find.

You'll hear people gripe about the interior falling apart but other than the dash I don't see it. I had the driver's seat restuffed as it had a lot of miles of butt time but other than that it still looks great. I popped for the LMC dash and paid to have it installed as I was feeling lazy but now Truck looks and drives like a new one at almost 300,000 miles. Just remembered - I did have to fab something to fix the glove box door hinge but it wasn't a big deal.

Good luck on your search.

Dan

Comment

any of the "normal" stuff will do it-- a 3500 duramax, dodge cummins, 7.3 p-stroke,
            heck even the gassers-454, 460, v10, etc will pull it but get horrible mileage doing it.

id say here (as with most things, heh heh...) size matters. id look for a crew longbed
            4x4 diesel, as the long wheelbase + heavy weight= stable.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
              any of the "normal" stuff will do it-- a 3500 duramax, dodge cummins, 7.3 p-stroke,
              heck even the gassers-454, 460, v10, etc will pull it but get horrible mileage doing it.

id say here (as with most things, heh heh...) size matters. id look for a crew longbed
              4x4 diesel, as the long wheelbase + heavy weight= stable.
              I have to wonder, if the older trucks, say the gassers with 454 (gm) or the 460 (ford) 440 (dodge)
              would get crap mpg, if you installed one of those newer truck 10 speed auto's. and geared the rear end to be in 10th at 75-80 mph .
              I don't think the Oil burners are worth the huge difference in cost to buy and upkeep, unless you are pulling something a lot of the time.
              looking on the oem's sites, it seems the diesel is 10k over the gasser, when new(sticker) So I'm guessing here, the same is true on used, that the diesel is a big jump over the same truck in gasser.
              10k new or 5-7k used difference in buy in, buys a LOT of fuel.
              if and when these 6/8/10 speed automatics are sold to bolt up to the big cid /liters gassers.

I've noticed that the Izuzu and others diesel box trucks used are about 1/6 to 1/8th the cost of a diesel pick up.
              I wonder why more don't buy these, then pull the box, and sell it, then Do a Stubby bob, to the truck, leaving enough for a bed if wanted, or just a 5th wheel type hook up and a class ? hitch. and call it good.
              The new breed cab over. lol
              Last edited by Eric; December 17, 2019, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Or look at medium duty trucks.
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76 View Post
                  I've decided to just buy an enclosed car trailer, and source a solid used F350 to pull the trailer.
                  I want something with a third pedal and a floor shifted transfer case.
                  I am not able to buy until right around New Years.
                  I am trying to not spend over $15K on the truck.
                  That's only 3-weeks away, so timeframe shouldn't be an issue, except for all your criteria coming together in one package.

Comment

One word answer for the best all-around tow vehicle = Vans.

All truck underneath - all bargain price on top. What's not to love?

Click image for larger version

Name:	suLUNOC.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	1257893
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

I have to wonder, if the older trucks, say the gassers with 454 (gm) or the 460 (ford) 440 (dodge)
                      would get crap mpg, if you installed one of those newer truck 10 speed auto's. and geared the rear end to be in 10th at 75-80 mph .
                      I don't think the Oil burners are worth the huge difference in cost to buy and upkeep, unless you are pulling something a lot of the time.
                      looking on the oem's sites, it seems the diesel is 10k over the gasser, when new(sticker) So I'm guessing here, the same is true on used, that the diesel is a big jump over the same truck in gasser.
                      10k new or 5-7k used difference in buy in, buys a LOT of fuel.
                      if and when these 6/8/10 speed automatics are sold to bolt up to the big cid /liters gassers.

I've noticed that the Izuzu and others diesel box trucks used are about 1/6 to 1/8th the cost of a diesel pick up.
                      I wonder why more don't buy these, then pull the box, and sell it, then Do a Stubby bob, to the truck, leaving enough for a bed if wanted, or just a 5th wheel type hook up and a class ? hitch. and call it good.
                      The new bread cab over. lol
                      There's more to towing with a Diesel than the MPG. They do it so effortlessly and if you're covering any ground that translates to a much more relaxed driver at the end of each day.

As far as towing with a cab-over......Ever do any long road time in a cab-over? I have and I can tell that those suckers will beat you to death. Remember, you're sitting on top of the front axle and are moved up and down with each road bump. Not saying you can't do it but again, how will you feel at the end of the day? The trucks you mentioned really come into their own for city deliveries or maybe short hops between cities that are fairly close together. In the US you rarely see cab-over long haul trucks or tractors anymore - too hard on the drivers.

Dan

Comment

We pull derby cars that weigh 4-6,000 lbs plus all the gear for an event all over the PNW.. Used to use a 77 one ton flatbed. With 450,000+ miles on it (3motors, 7 trans, rebuilt rear) we decided we needed more room in the cab so the son bought an 05 Super Duty diesel crew cab dualie. I have had it 95 mph loaded to make a show we were almost late for.. It tows beautifully. I have driven single rear 4X4 diesel Super Duty too, I find there is less trailer driving the rig with dualies. ..My buddy Robin has an 01 4X4 dualie 6 speed diesel Super Duty and has been cross country 3 times with huge campers on it.. Only problem the manual has is blowing the slave cylinder on the bell housing for the clutch (plastic and cheap, metal is a $$ upgrade) Negative for the auto overdrive is it downshifts 2 gears so you really need to lug down before hitting the button.. And short back and forth movements while backing the trailer seems to make the tranny spit fluid.. I'd look into a flatbed then sell it if it does not meet your needs after moving. Flatbed's outer wheels track the same as pickup dualie's inner wheel..

Comment

No matter HOW FRICKEN CRAZY you think you are, DO NOT GET A 6.0! That's not crazy, it's foolish.
                          If you are just doing this move with the truck, find any cummins or 7.3 with less than 180,000 that you can snag for under 10 grand, make sure you are not buying junk, then do the job and flip the truck. Free move! A month ago I picked up a rust free, Texas, 02 Ram 2500 Cummins with only 135k on it for less than $7000. It has nice cloth interior, 6 speed, some hail dings on the hood, fenders and roof. No big deal, I can snag color matching hood and fenders for a couple hundred with patience. No one sees the roof. This thing would pull your trailer to hell and back. That's the kind of deal you need to look for.
                          Last edited by Hemi Joel; December 12, 2019, 08:36 PM.

Comment

We are waiting to see what happens, but, a new horse has been added to the family fleet(Not my personal Truck) a 2500 HD with an 8.1 liter V8(Gas), Allison Auto, and 4.10 gearing... Crew Cab W/6.5 ft box.... haven't trailered yet, but looks promising...

BTW the truck was just a smidge over 15K, 70K mile truck W/ NO RUST! and an impeccable service record... They are out there if you look!
                            Last edited by silver_bullet; December 13, 2019, 08:39 AM.
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Andrew,

I have had the 7.3 6 speed dually in the picture ( still own it) a 2006 F350 crew cab 8' bed automatic 6.0 and a 2008 6.4 crew cab dually 8' bed automatic and also currently own a 2000 Excursion with a V10 and the towing package with 4:30 gears.

The 6.0 went through all the usual bs with head studs, egr delete etc. Had issues twice with it and sold it at 120K miles. The 6.4 never gave me much trouble and was the nicest truck to drive on the road pulling a trailer. It was quit, powerful and had a great ride and great brakes. It did have some coolant leaking issues. I sold that truck with less than 50K on the clock.

I recently pulled my 28' enclosed trailer from Mooresville to Bowling Green KY. My trailer is a race trailer and very heavy. Not sure of the weight, but it has work benches, cabinets, generator, AC, walk on roof, air compressor, insulation etc. The Excursion did the job and we rode in comfort, but the average over an 800 mile trip was 6.1 MPG towing a 4300 pound car inside and three people.

The 99 in the picture is by far the best all around reliable truck I have ever had. I bought it at about 2 years old, sold it again in 06, bought it back in 09. It has 485K and climbing on the original driveline. I love the 6 speed trans. This truck just works well on a regular basis. All the other trucks were subjected to the same loads and struggled or had issues, which is why I am back to the 99 Super Duty. The trailer weighs about 8800 pounds, the machine weighs in at 22K+. It get the job done, but has also been exceptionally maintained.

7.3 Super duty trucks command top dollar because guys like me actually use them as trucks. The other stuff always has some kind of issue when routinely working its ass off. I have friends with brand new stuff. Even though the tow rating is exceptional, load it to the max and run up and down the Blue Ridge Mountains a few times and they will find limp mode. No such problems with the 7.3. And the fuel mileage is + 3-4MPG over a 6.0 or 6.4. All my trucks are turned up a little.

While this is not a for sale add, I am planning on selling the Excursion, and possible;y the 99 Super duty in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                              X