Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's play a game: what tow rig to pull an enclosed car trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have never pulled an enclosed trailer. Dan is right diesel is stress free you can keep up with traffic and not worrying about the hills. I had a 1998 Cummins 12 valve. Currently Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 gas. Is good enough and I don't have to worry about diesel maintenance. It will keep up with traffic on the flats and does ok on the hills. With the 5k load but it slows on the hills, and not as fast on take off. Don't know if it would be fun with twice the load.
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
      I have never pulled an enclosed trailer. Dan is right diesel is stress free you can keep up with traffic and not worrying about the hills. I had a 1998 Cummins 12 valve. Currently Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 gas. Is good enough and I don't have to worry about diesel maintenance. It will keep up with traffic on the flats and does ok on the hills. With the 5k load but it slows on the hills, and not as fast on take off. Don't know if it would be fun with twice the load.
      I understand what you and Dan are stating, but I was going with the person that tows a few times a year, or say racing season. Not someone that is towing a few times a week, every week.
      I mean, a used diesel truck in great shape that has 180k on it, but looks like it has 50k on it, never towed/worked all that much.
      That truck towed an rv a few times a year, or maybe a boat, or horse trailer.
      It won't be 180k of trailer towing/working, that look clean and well kept.
      I'm sure there is a ton of almost never really worked trucks in your country, Seems even the soccer moms are rolling in 3/4 ton diesels

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

I understand what you and Dan are stating, but I was going with the person that tows a few times a year, or say racing season. Not someone that is towing a few times a week, every week.
        I mean, a used diesel truck in great shape that has 180k on it, but looks like it has 50k on it, never towed/worked all that much.
        That truck towed an rv a few times a year, or maybe a boat, or horse trailer.
        It won't be 180k of trailer towing/working, that look clean and well kept.
        I'm sure there is a ton of almost never really worked trucks in your country, Seems even the soccer moms are rolling in 3/4 ton diesels
        I like my 6.0 gas 3/4 ton it is perfect for what I do. I think I have only towed once this year and it was to go pick up JP's little truck when it had trouble. She has been saying let's sell it and get a F150 crew cab. More of a family truck. I like the 8' bed 3/4 ton. We don't use it much and it's fine with me.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
        ​​​​​​

Comment

Nice thing about crew cabs is the tools can be in the cab, safe... Not in a breakinable box in the bed.. True the cab can be broken into but not as likely if in the cab..

Comment

I have a hard tonneau (BakFlip) and added a tailgate lock so you have to unlock the 'gate to flip up the tonneau. Seems to work pretty well. Mine is the cab and a half which gives a little back seat area mostly for the pup. As far as the body style - it all depends on what you need the truck to do.

As far as the Diesel trade-off - the equation is a bit fuzzier because when you resell the Diesel you get a LOT of the additional purchase price back so by my reckoning the difference in price is pretty much a wash given the recovery. In my case, I expect Truck will be the last truck I'll ever own so it'll be up to those who survive me to sort that out.

Dan

Comment

Working...
            X