Time With My Student

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time With My Student

I have a young fella named Asa who has been coming over on some Thursdays and we've been messing with the old Buick Nailhead just so I can show him how an engine fits together. Among his many learning experiences is him watching me screw up and then recovering from those errors and moving forward. For example, I tried pushing the pistons out w/o reaming the ridge and pounding the hell out of the pistons w/o success. The rings were SO stuck that I couldn't convince them to let the piston pop out which is something I've gotten away with in the past. So I poked the pistons back down, ordered up a ridge reamer, showed Asa how that works, and popped the pistons out easily.

Today we found out why one piston had broken ring lands and he got to learn about how cylinder heads go together in an OHV engine at the same time. The exhaust valve head for the piston with broken ring lands was completely missing! So we took those two valves out and Asa got another couple of goodies for his bedroom shelf. No clue where that valve head went but I'd guess out the exhaust port and down the exhaust system

Interesting point - I'd forgotten how soft those old valve springs were. The exhaust valve stem (remember, no head on that one) came out with a single swat with a mid-sized hammer and socket. We used the valve spring compressor for the other one so I could show him the right way as well as the Primitive Pete method. Anyhow, I could almost have pushed those springs down with my hand. Those old engines had a max of, what, 4500 RPM or so so I guess not much spring was needed.

And finally - If somebody wants a 322 Nailhead (no longer frozen up) come and get it. It'll need a rebuild w/cylinder bore but all of the castings etc. look to be usable. If nobody speaks up soon it'll go for scrap. I have no use for it but it sure would be sweet in a rod and I'd like to see it get used.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; December 12, 2019, 03:54 PM.

Asa is lucky twice - he's got you around plus he's interested in what you're doing. Wow, I'd be light years ahead with wrenches if only somebody had said, "Hey kid, come 'ere and watch this..."
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I get so tired of people complaining about how today's young folk are lazy, not interested in cars and such and on and on. Dan you have proved those accusations are wrong. Good job.

Comment

That's great, love to see some knowledge actually being passed down and even better to a kid down the street showing some interest. Kudos to you Dan for taking the time to care.
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
          That's great, love to see some knowledge actually being passed down and even better to a kid down the street showing some interest. Kudos to you Dan for taking the time to care.
          Actually, Asa is an interesting case. They know about me because his family goes to church with ME. The kids (he has a twin sister and another sister a bit older) are being well home schooled and his Mom realized that Asa was missing getting his hands-on itch scratched. So she Emailed me and after a back and forth we set up Thursday PMs as a time we can play in the shop. They live across town but I WISH he was just down the street as it would be great to be able to call him when I need a third hand for something. His Mom drives him over for "class" (in my case that's low class but class nonetheless) so all I have to do is be there. Great experience for both of us.

Dan

Comment

I'm glad I didn't have to depend on my parents and neighbors for everything I've learned. They're pretty smart, but I've learned from hundreds more just as smart. I've learned to develop my own opinions by being in contact with all kinds of people. I even disagreed with my parents AND my teachers many times. And they disagreed with each other too. Nobody in complete control of me except me.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
              Asa is lucky twice - he's got you around plus he's interested in what you're doing. Wow, I'd be light years ahead with wrenches if only somebody had said, "Hey kid, come 'ere and watch this..."
              … instead of "Hey kid, hold my beer and watch this.....?"

Comment

Another important thing that you mentioned, I've seen several homeschooled kids and they are usually lacking people skills plus more. The fact his Mother realized that be needed more from the outside world is great. He's learning mechanical and interaction with other people.

Comment

Did someone say something about home schooled?
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    Did someone say something about home schooled?
                    Some do fine.

Comment

Seeing more kids homeschooled here as bullying is a big problem in this town.

Comment

Homeschooling worked out well for me. I didn't learn the study habits I needed to succeed in college, but I ended up doing landing on my feet, even after college. Time with folks like Dan was pretty crucial to that- glad he's out there helping this kid get education outside of a book. (Not to devalue books)

Comment

Hi Walt! Good to hear from you. Hope you and The Fam are doing well.

As far as home schooling - done well, it's a TON of work. A lot of parents THINK they want to do it but find it's overwhelming and either do it poorly or revert to sending the kids to public schools. There are resources out there with curriculum, books, etc. but even with that it's STILL a ton of work. Asa's Mom is really putting in the work and it shows. These kids are bright, informed, engaged, and able to talk intelligently with adults. They're a great family and I'm privileged to get to work with Asa and I think he's even learning something.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; December 14, 2019, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                            I'm privileged to get to work with Asa and I think he's even learning something.
                            How about a pic of Asa with the nailhead project, so we can put a face to the name ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

How about a pic of Asa with the nailhead project, so we can put a face to the name ?
                              I thought about that but I'll need to ask his Mom first. Not sure how she feels about having her kids' faces out in the Interwebs. If it's OK with her I'll take a pic next Thursday (our shop day).

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X