Place for Andy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place for Andy

That's Andy the Dog. He wants to be near the humans and able to look out the windshield when he's riding in the car with us but we don't want him in the front seats with us. So I got to thinkin' and buildin' and here's what I made:

For ME's HHR: That's a length of turbo plumbing that I had left and it fits the rear cup holder pretty well. We hate to give up a cup holder but you have to make tradeoffs in this world. The length of 2X2 at the rear keeps the whole thing fairly level. We're taking the HHR and Andy to Duke (a bit west Raleigh - my medical appointment) tomorrow so we'll have a chance to give this a test drive. A quick test around the block was promising though we'll need to reinforce that he stays in the back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2130.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	1259015

And the system in Truck: A bit different but the same concept. He's getting used to this one and now pretty much stays back though he does need a bit of reinforcing from time to time.

From the back seat:

Name:	IMG_2131.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	1259016

And from the front so you can see the front chest board. He can step over the chest board if he puts his mind to it so that's why he needs training. If I make the chest board much higher he wouldn't be able to see out.

Name:	IMG_2132.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	1259017
    These are mostly made from 1/2" "Baltic Birch" plywood so the panels are without gaps within the panels. The fasteners are almost all 1/4-20 T-nuts with the aluminum making the 90 degree angles. If you haven't used T-nuts let me assure you that they are THE way to go if you need to screw stuff to plywood.

Dan

I like the idea, to keep him “connected” to his people. I think adding sidewall boards like on the truck version are a good idea, keep him from shifting off the sides if you have to swerve abruptly to avoid someone else. I never would have thought of using t-nuts. Those also help eliminate any protruding nuts/bolt ends on the inner sides.
    '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
    '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
    79 Trans Am project
    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

I like the side boards but ME often slides her violin (in its case) onto the back seat so I kept the sides open for that. It seems to work pretty well. We've been toying with the idea of installing a short lead and a harness to keep him back but I'm still thinking on that.

Yeah, T-nuts are great. I tend to forget about them then sometimes remember and do the palm-to-forehead move as no doubt I could have made other projects better with them.

Andy did well on his trip to Durham (Duke). As noted we continue to reinforce BACK but he's catching on.

Dan

Comment

I suggest a shoulder harness that is secured, to keep him from launching through the windshield, in case of the inevitable.

Comment

Nice. Now make something legal.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
            Nice. Now make something legal.
            Don't think there's anything illegal about this in NC but a harness might be a good plan. As noted, we're thinking about it.

Dan

Comment

The laws of physics enforce themselves.... So, glad you are thinking about it.
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Working...
              X