All the New Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All the New Stuff

One time when a bunch of us were ganged up partying at Gear Head Inn I raised a point that had been glaring to me for quite a while. I marveled at the fact that early everybody there was driving stuff they had built. Nearly everybody. Perry was quick to say, "YOU built." I said no, I bolted. There's a difference. We went back and forth a few times. Built. Bolted. Built. Bolted. A blower and some brakes and exhaust and a shifter is all bolt-on stuff.

Besides, these days when you open the hood on newer rides you can't even see the engine for all the stuff. That's daunting if you want to tamper with it. But if you want to throw caution to the wind and really make a car's computer get pissed off, just get a tuner. Regardless of brand or design, they sell you a whole lot more car than they let you drive away from the lot with. It's in there, you just have to coax it out of it and override all of the layers and layers of consumer dumb padding that comes from the showroom. I guess that's hotrodding but you can do it without understanding a thing about all of the stuff you can look at but not even see.

Red's engine light came on. I knew enough to keep on driving him, running just fine. For months, to the point that I started wondering if the engine light had been on ever since we put the blower on there, but I don't think it was. Maybe someday I'll check it, it only means the computer is disgruntled about something. When I put a hotrod tune on Bluebelle to turn off the speed limiter to run The Mile, her engine light stayed on. The trouble code meant, "Somebody tampered with my computer and I don't like it." Unauthorized intrusion into the program. Wahhhh, 131 mph worth of unauthorized intrusion on a 4-door grocery getter appliance, Put some electrical tape on the dash panel to cover up the light so Sue Unit won't see it when she cranks it.

One day last week I finally got bored enough to check on Red's engine light. The trouble code was for the EVAP fuel system. Whatever that is. Right away I was thinking we put two fuel pumps into the gas tank to feed the blower. One stock one and an extra one running in parallel. Maybe somehow all of that ... No, there's an evap system built in. It captures fumes inside the tank and sends them to be burned along with the fuel. Wow. You can't just look at all of that stuff and know that it even does that. The trouble code meant there's a small leak in that system somewhere. Or it could mean that the gas cap was loose one day for a little while. I cleared the code and it didn't come back.

Then I thought about all the guys back in the day that would pull the body off of a VW Bug chassis and make a dune buggy out of it and use a beer keg for a gas tank. They didn't have a light like that on the dashboard and they kept on going just fine.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Yes, things have gotten quite a bit more complicated....there is definitely a learning curve involved in computer controls...Red has serious owner installed modifications for performance, so I would have to side with Perry on this one...I vote for Built!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Yep if you put a wrench on it and change anything you own it, you built it!
      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

I'd say installing stick on Buick-style portholes is "bolted". Replacing brake pads is "bolted". What you have done is definitely "built". Now get out to Advance and pick up a set of portholes! (It'll add to the sleeper vibe......)

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          Now get out to Advance and pick up a set of portholes! (It'll add to the sleeper vibe......)

Dan
          It wouldn't look nearly this good when i got through with it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Portholes.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1259159

Comment

generational differences - I just hack into the computer and turn the light off.... it seriously is just unchecking a box... "fixed"
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

It wouldn't look nearly this good when i got through with it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Portholes.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.9 KB ID:	1259159
              Wrong portholes. The kind I'm talking about were on the front fenders of Buicks for years. They have stick-on versions these days. I've seen 'em stuck on everything from Cadillacs to Hyundais. Though I suppose one COULD add those portholes too......

EDIT: You know I'm no good at this computer stuff but try this:

Jun 11, 2015 - Shop by department, purchase cars, fashion apparel, collectibles, sporting goods, cameras, baby items, and everything else on eBay, the world's online marketplace

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; January 1, 2020, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Wrong portholes. The kind I'm talking about were on the front fenders of Buicks for years. They have stick-on versions these days.
                Dan
                Oh.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Portholes.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1259166

Comment

Sweet Jesus, for the love of God, NO!
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I'm in SuperBuick's camp.
                    I'm Old Skool! Hate HiTech electronics,
                    check engine light comes on.....
                    Don't need Codes (EVAP), it means, Hey Stupid!! YOU left the gas cap on top of the Gas Pump 30 miles back!!
                    Then you can't clear it without a $50.00 hookup fee at the Dealership!!
                    Cure, Black electrical tape, easier that scarfing up your hands pulling the bulb.

Thank You for letting me vent....
                    OH HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                      I'm in SuperBuick's camp.
                      I'm Old Skool! Hate HiTech electronics,
                      check engine light comes on.....
                      Don't need Codes (EVAP), it means, Hey Stupid!! YOU left the gas cap on top of the Gas Pump 30 miles back!!
                      Then you can't clear it without a $50.00 hookup fee at the Dealership!!
                      Cure, Black electrical tape, easier that scarfing up your hands pulling the bulb.

Thank You for letting me vent....
                      OH HAPPY NEW YEAR!
                      I find it interesting that the training to program EFI doesn't include a stupid large cam with a stupid large double pumper holley on some garden variety smog motor..... it would be the final test, tune it to run right and you can pick up a computer. Computers are easy if you can tune that hypothetical motor.... well, maybe not hypothetical - most car people* have put a great deal carb on a motor they have to drive to work on Monday... once you do that, then you know which warnings can be shut off without worry...

*including me, tunnel ram on a 327 with twin 650 double pumpers.... ran great once I disconnected the rear half of each carb....
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 1, 2020, 02:41 PM.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ford Mustang Roadmaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          Ford Mustang Roadmaster.
                          Mom would say, 'wash your mouth out with soap'...........
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post

Mom would say, 'wash your mouth out with soap'...........
                            YUP....
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

That's pretty bad. But it does point out the difference between "bolted" and "built".

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X