Worst stuck.... it's a McSquatch question that should be here too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worst stuck.... it's a McSquatch question that should be here too

and yes, the story I related there happened exactly how I said.... it's also why all of my 4x4s are big tired and locked... those were some deep ruts.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

I had at a offroad park about an hour south east of Indy .I went with a couple friends from work . You know cause the day you shouldn't go offloading alone . I think mainly in case of getting hopelessly stuck .So I'm there with my 77 K5 granny 4speed open diffs and 31x10.50 all terrain tires . One guy has a Nissan hardbody and the other guy a Toyota on 33s .We had ran this park for awhile checking out all the trails and muddy water filled holes . Getting out and checks the depths first . I went down this one trail that dead ended but there was plenty of room to turn around on this grassy hill . What you couldn't see was the soil was saturated and I started sinking . So I backed up . Almost got out . So that started the rocking action of going forward and backward. Got the thing stuck to the frame . My friends with there little tricks together couldn't pull me out me out . We tried winching off them with a chain and a High Lift jack there were no trees close . It just pulled both to me . Just as I was about to lose hope we came accross three sand rails with paddle tires . They were pretty excited or slightly drunk . After getting them all in a row and hooking them up together in series they hooked to mine and before I could get in to fire it up and put it in reverse to help , the one in the lead said " Hit it ! " . That truck popped out of the hole 3 feet in the air and back onto more stable ground . Lesson learned that day, don't be the biggest truck . And basically 6 wheel drive will pull out anything.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

For those that don't know what he's referring to ...

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      that’s a tough one…. lifted Chevy truck on 35s sitting on its frame within 20 feet of a paved road? on private property? after being told I’d be arrested if I ever drove in that field again? thank heavens for 4×4 forklifts… the property owner’s 4×4 forklift – and didn’t get arrested when I mentioned seeing him at the local topless joint paying a pro for services…. asked him if he was in an open relationship… guessing the answer was no.

Comment

I'm New to this site,
        Don't know the "Worst Stuck" or McSquatch story.
        But I have been off Roading in some very challenging places with my '87 Samurai we call The Timber Cruiser, not Krazy Built, but good enough to Impress some "High Dollar High Rise Jeep's" (Jeep Blitz 2016), (2009 Kansas Krawl, one of 7 finisher's of 22 starter's)
        Getting Stuck Happens, and surprises can get you, (Not the first in the creek, picked a bad line and Submarined the Timber Cruiser at Matt Memorial in WV, and still made the crossing).

PREPARATION, AND EXPERIENCE are what's going to save the day!!

​​​​​​

Comment

I have several Rescue Stories,
          One I like happened at Tuttle Creek, Kansas.
          2, let's say Pre Engineering Students in a nice built K1 Blazer are out running the trails.
          We (My Best off road SPOTTER Mark Ledford was with me this trip) catch up with them in the middle of a big mud hole. You know, one of those, all ooze on the bottom, with 2 foot of water on top! They are in it up to the door handles, Swamped the Motor, DEAD......
          So, Mark and I start tossing things out of the Timber Cruiser to help get them out,
          First thing they yell, How are YOU GOING TO GET US OUT WITH THAT LITTLE THING?
          My Blazer is 3-4 Times it's SIZE!!
          I Just said, "It's Scientific!!", watch......
          We tied off the back of the Timber Cruiser to some small trees, spooled out some winch line.
          Now they are still standing on the Blazer, I throw them a rope.......one of them catches it, and Yells!!! YOU ARE GOING TO PULL US OUT WITH THIS LITTLE ROPE?!!"
          I said, "No, Stupid, You ARE GOING TO PULL THE WINCH LINE TO YOU WITH IT!!, and YOU ARE GOING TO GET IT HOOKED TO YOUR RIG inTHAT MUD, You ARE VERY mistaken if you think I'm going to come out there!!"
          We got them out, told them NOT TO DRIVE IT BACK to the paddock area, gave one a Ride to go get fresh oil, filters, gas additive, etc and basic instructions on how to DeWater a Swamped Engine.
          Saw them later in the Paddock Area, they thanked us, and had already left a 12 pack
          ​​on our trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
            I'm New to this site, Don't know the "Worst Stuck" or McSquatch story.
            What ?
            I gave you the link and his story in the previous post !

Comment

Sorry Monster,
              I'm slow at typing, don't have the two thumbs technique like the high school kids do. You sent your msg as I was getting ready to send mine.

Comment

I'll take a "Time Out" or a Nap......
                it's not easy being old.......LOL

Comment

I'm game.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AUhEoyH.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1259580
                  Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                    I have several Rescue Stories,
                    One I like happened at Tuttle Creek, Kansas.
                    2, let's say Pre Engineering Students in a nice built K1 Blazer are out running the trails.
                    We (My Best off road SPOTTER Mark Ledford was with me this trip) catch up with them in the middle of a big mud hole. You know, one of those, all ooze on the bottom, with 2 foot of water on top! They are in it up to the door handles, Swamped the Motor, DEAD......
                    So, Mark and I start tossing things out of the Timber Cruiser to help get them out,
                    First thing they yell, How are YOU GOING TO GET US OUT WITH THAT LITTLE THING?
                    My Blazer is 3-4 Times it's SIZE!!
                    I Just said, "It's Scientific!!", watch......
                    We tied off the back of the Timber Cruiser to some small trees, spooled out some winch line.
                    Now they are still standing on the Blazer, I throw them a rope.......one of them catches it, and Yells!!! YOU ARE GOING TO PULL US OUT WITH THIS LITTLE ROPE?!!"
                    I said, "No, Stupid, You ARE GOING TO PULL THE WINCH LINE TO YOU WITH IT!!, and YOU ARE GOING TO GET IT HOOKED TO YOUR RIG inTHAT MUD, You ARE VERY mistaken if you think I'm going to come out there!!"
                    We got them out, told them NOT TO DRIVE IT BACK to the paddock area, gave one a Ride to go get fresh oil, filters, gas additive, etc and basic instructions on how to DeWater a Swamped Engine.
                    Saw them later in the Paddock Area, they thanked us, and had already left a 12 pack
                    ​​on our trailer.
                    smart newbies....

Comment

so the back story to the first story.... there was a field next to my dad's hop where people would go play, signs would go up, then get torn down and playing again. The land owner wasn't thrill with the ruts (I wouldn't be either but it wasn't me who put them there).... so the first time I went out and crossed up on ruts made by something with 44s.... got pulled out by my buddy in his CJ5. The landowner came down and trespassed us (no cops).... roll forward several months, I see him getting service and he was more then a little lit - he said "I don't mind if you use the field".... guessing he forgot when I got stuck again... and the end of that story - we are friends and occasionally still go wheeling together..

but stucks, I've had countless, I figure the best ones are "but at least I didn't die" which was truthfully said a couple times.

Comment

My worst stuck was in an 18 wheeler so I'm not sure if that counts. My second was in a garbage truck, probably doesn't count either. In regular vehicles most of mine have been pretty tame. Nothing a shovel and some time couldn't take care of.

Comment

Originally posted by Markmx6 View Post
                          My worst stuck was in an 18 wheeler so I'm not sure if that counts. My second was in a garbage truck, probably doesn't count either.
                          They might if you tell us the story ...

Comment

I was driving the 18 wheeler into Prescott, AZ and I was on a new route so I didn't know where my stops were located (why does no one in a small town seem to know the names of the streets or address's?) So when I asked for directions from one bank to another they gave me the wrong way. This sent me up a long and narrow residential street that went back and forth up the hill. Of course it dead-ended at the top...

So after backing down the road I finally came to an open lot. I figured I could turn around, I should have paid attention to the fact that it had been drizzling, and I found out later that it had been raining lightly for a couple days. So, like an idiot I pulled forward into the lot and was going to back the trailer out the other direction. Once I got the trailer all the way into the lot my drive wheels sunk.

I also thought after some time of trying to rock the truck back and forth to disconnect from the trailer, pull out and try and re-hook from a different angle. I found some scrap wood and made a platform of sorts to rest the trailer landing gear on (Thankfully I was smart enough to do that) I also managed to get the trailer hooked up again with the tractor at about 60 degrees to the trailer. Once I put weight on the tractor and tried to pull forward it just sank again.

So in my infinite stupidity and excessive pride I refused to call my boss and explain what had happened, I continued to fight with it.

I got lucky and two guys who had been painting houses in the new construction were headed back down the hill and offered to help. They had a 1980 regular cab shortbed chevy pickup with full lockers front and rear, and a tow chain. We started out by trying to pull from the road, but it was wet and the truck was just spinning all 4 tires, we decided to hook up to the tractor and pull backwards at an angle. In the mud it provided a lot more help, but still not enough. After numerous attempts and failed ideas I got another lucky stroke, their foreman pulled up in his 92 extended cab 4wd Silverado. He ran back up the hill and found another strap. So with the 92 pulling from the street and the 80 pulling the tractor from next to the trailer we managed to get the truck out. I had mud wedged into just about every crevice in the truck you could imagine. The whole process took over 3 and a half hours.

My helper had used the disposable camera that we were supposed to use in case of an accident to document the whole process. Then then the following weekend he took it with him fishing because he figured it was a waste to turn the camera in with un-taken pictures... and he proceeded to drop the damn thing in the lake...

On the way home (a bit over 100 miles) I had a speed wobble from hell since I had a huge chunk of mud stuck on half of the inside of the front driver side wheel..

My boss was less than impressed the next morning...

Comment

Yep, that counts. What about the garbage truck incident ?

Comment

Working...
                              X