No announcement yet.

Worst stuck.... it's a McSquatch question that should be here too

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had 2 with the garbage truck. I lived in Howard Lake, Minnesota for reference.

First one happened in the winter. The second half of most of my routes was out in the country vs the in town route. I had 2 stops that were farms that were right next to each other, I am pretty sure they were both part of the same family. So, during the summer you could do the first stop and then drive down a path and get to the second house. During the winter the "road" was not maintained and I was feeling stupid (Notice a pattern here?)

During this trek I thought if I just kept my speed up enough I would be ok to make it through the path. I was wrong and buried the front of the truck. Luckily I had a snow shovel.

I had to decide if I wanted to try and make the next 40 feet forward or clear the way to go 100 feet backwards... I spent the next hour and a half to clear it enough to go forward.

I got to the next house and the old guy who lived there told me he had been watching and wasn't sure if he should grab the tractor and pull me out or just wait. Honestly at the time I was glad he let me do it on my own because I feel like I get myself into a stupid problem I should do everything in my power to fix it.

The second was more boring. I pulled into a driveway forward and should have backed in. When I backed down the driveway the truck brakes weren't strong enough to stop the vehicle and going backward it unloaded the front tires and I lost steering. I ended up going half way into the ditch and almost rolled the truck.

That one I called my boss and got 2 wreckers out there. One was to stabilize the truck and keep it from rolling and the other one pulled me out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5c3e5d70db1e0407c91637ec.jpg?width=1024&height=768&quality=70&upsize=true.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	1259642

For reference this is similar to the truck I drove. With the weight over the rear axle it was always light on the front end. The truck never had adequate brakes. You could pull the air brakes at 15 mph and jump out of the truck and by the time it finished stopping you would be standing at the back of the truck. It would make it very convenient because we worked the truck solo. So you pulled the brakes right before you passed the trash can you were picking up.

Comment

Growing up in MI I have had MANY "stuck" stories, mostly in snow. I moved here so I wouldn't have any more of them and have managed to wipe my memory clear of the lot of them. Sadly, I DO remember being stuck in my Dad's V8 '63 Tempest in a farmer's field where me and my HS girl friend had gone to watch the submarine drags (if you catch my drift). It wasn't the worst I've ever been stuck but the consequences for not getting unstuck were the greatest. Between the two of us we did work it out of the mud successfully but I don't think my Dad ever worked out why he got back a freshly washed car.

Dan

Comment

silly truck stories... I get that you were trying to get er done and respect that - so much so that I relate this story of someone who almost got a darwin award.

my dad owned a shop in an industrial area of town. The various shops were below the main street and there was a railroad crossing that was actually higher then the street (thus making a dip between the street and the tracks. A shop rented yard space from us to store their parts semis, and their yard rats routinely came down to move trucks back and forth. It snowed one night and didn't get a lot of snow but it was enough that the entire area was one, big ice sheet. We presume one of the yard rats who didn't have a commercial license came down to get a truck and managed to get the tractor stuck in that dip with the trailer holding it from going forward. Then came a train. He had to have seen the truck for a good 1/2 mile before he hit the truck and he laid on the horn - which, because of the length of time, drew people outside to see what was the fuss. Train was probably going 40 when it hit the semi. It went straight up in the air, the trailer cleared the box cars and it landed on its side next to the track. Amazing in itself, the train gets stop, emergency response is coming (engineer is ghost white) they look in the truck for the driver and of no one is there. To this day we guess that at some point the driver jumped out (all while the truck is still spinning because it landed and was still running) and ran up to the yard where they dispatched.... but everyone looked for awhile to find the driver because they didn't know and there was a river nearby.... address 13800-13810 Forsythe Rd

Oregon City, OR 97045

google map gives you a good view of the location/situation - our yard was at the sw corner, the destination was the heating place on the ne corner

That happened 20 years ago, and I can still remember the almost desperate blast of the train's horn.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This picture is from Reiter Pit off HWY-2 in Washington from November 1997. SBG knows the place, high up on the top. I was out with some friends and got high centered on a rock in middle of a water hole. After a few pull attempts (wheel spin from tow rigs) I pulled myself out with the PTO winch on my 66 Nissan Patrol. I have a few other pics from this adventure but having trouble finding them. The clutch had to be under water so it was amazing it worked? My feet were wet and the water was maybe 4" from my ass. It was a long wet cold ride home.

Name:	ratpatrol66.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	1259677

Comment

Originally posted by ratpatrol66 View Post
            This picture is from Reiter Pit off HWY-2 in Washington from November 1997. SBG knows the place, high up on the top. I was out with some friends and got high centered on a rock in middle of a water hole. After a few pull attempts (wheel spin from tow rigs) I pulled myself out with the PTO winch on my 66 Nissan Patrol. I have a few other pics from this adventure but having trouble finding them. The clutch had to be under water so it was amazing it worked? My feet were wet and the water was maybe 4" from my ass. It was a long wet cold ride home.

Name:	ratpatrol66.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	457.2 KB
ID:	1259677
            Cool truck and pic . Roy Roger's had one .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

My best stuck story doesn't even have me driving. Outside of Olalla, Washington, for reference, near SBG's constant-rain territory. We're in rainforest, mainly Douglas Firs surrounded by hip-deep salal bushes and blackberry vines as thick as your middle finger. Vehicle is a 1980 Chevy Blazer, 400, on 38" tires. I'm spotter for the day. We've made good progress and are getting ready to wrap up, head back to civilization and a barbecue at a buddy's house. In forests like this, it's not uncommon to find large logs from fallen trees just laying around, rotting. The Blazer finds one, and instead of crawling over it (or mushing it down flat), the tires decide now is a good time to protest. I'm standing right-rear making sure that he doesn't reverse into a live tree for the sake of the bodywork. He backs up a couple of feet and takes a serious run at the log. The front end bounces up and over fine, but the back tires tear into the old wood...pissing off the colony of bald-headed hornets that were having a peaceful afternoon up to that point.

I can run through just about anything when flying daggers with attitude problems come after me in a blind fury.

Or there was the time I sank a rented Volkswagen Jetta out in the sands at Ocean Shores. Haley had come up to visit me while I was working at Boeing a few years back, and she was not impressed one ounce with my Mirada. So, as an appeasement, we rented the VW for the time she was there. I figured heading out to the shore and driving down the sandy beach would be a good way to kill an hour or so. Now, keep in mind, I've done this numerous times before with heavier cars and trucks, and it's legal as long as you maintain the 25 mph speed limit. But on this day, the beach wasn't having anything to do with it, because just a few feet from the turnout the Jetta went up to the hubs in sand. Had to pay a local with a lifted GMC to yank that thing back out.
              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by BangShift McT View Post

Or there was the time I sank a rented Volkswagen Jetta out in the sands at Ocean Shores. Haley had come up to visit me while I was working at Boeing a few years back, and she was not impressed one ounce with my Mirada. So, as an appeasement, we rented the VW for the time she was there. I figured heading out to the shore and driving down the sandy beach would be a good way to kill an hour or so. Now, keep in mind, I've done this numerous times before with heavier cars and trucks, and it's legal as long as you maintain the 25 mph speed limit. But on this day, the beach wasn't having anything to do with it, because just a few feet from the turnout the Jetta went up to the hubs in sand. Had to pay a local with a lifted GMC to yank that thing back out.
                You're lucky, I know large people who went to the beach and had Green Peace trying to push them back into the ocean.... maybe they realized that whales don't have so much hair? I hear Sal has that trouble all the time (fatguyzinc)
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 9, 2020, 10:38 AM.

Comment

I'm not fat enough to worry about Greenpeace. I do hate those assholes hiding in the scrub bushes near the beach with ancient film-making equipment trying to capture footage of me, however. This is not the bigfoot you were looking for.
                  Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

I replied on facebook. .but it may be here in my truck thread.

My neighbors durango was in a ditch, more than 2 feet of sloppy goop in the ditches.
                    it was like a boot stuck in a mud puddle.
                    I gave it some good yanks with the gmc and the stretch rope.

I love that manual trans for stuff like that.
                    I am only guessing it added the crack I found in the frame the next summer.
                    it wa sinbetween stuff already welded.. as if making its own final shape. 1/2 inch long

that durango is gone now, leaky headgasket and wobbly front end (it looked a bit bent)

stuck in maine is a bent life afterwards.

I like to share this mudbogger79 with the nv4500.. and making use of the factory frame as well.

incredible truck .. not many notice why
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 9, 2020, 06:08 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Maybe should have posted under Friday Nights Songs....
                      Tab Benoit's "Muddy Bottom Blues"
                      (I computer illiterate, can't transfer my most favorite 2010 version)

The Off Roader's Gospel Anthem!!
                      Last edited by Captain; January 11, 2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

y'all are amateurs

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

You're lucky, I know large people who went to the beach and had Green Peace trying to push them back into the ocean.... maybe they realized that whales don't have so much hair? I hear Sal has that trouble all the time (fatguyzinc)
                          wow... did i show up and sh@t in your cereal this morning? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
                          .i can feel the love there, buddy. remind me to show you my killer body--by sitting on you.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

wow... did i show up and sh@t in your cereal this morning? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
                            .i can feel the love there, buddy. remind me to show you my killer body--by sitting on you.

and a hair trigger.... which, I hear, is the only hair left. You know, I saw some guy selling his wife's dentures because she wouldn't stop eating his capt'n crunch.. was that you?
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 24, 2020, 02:32 PM. Reason: more sh@t

Comment

OH!!!
                              Party is Getting Ruff !!
                              Time to go weld on the trailer project some more

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

and a hair trigger.... which, I hear, is the only hair left. You know, I saw some guy selling his wife's dentures because she wouldn't stop eating his capt'n crunch.. was that you?

only if it was captain crunch peanut butter puffs cut 50-50
                                with coco puffs......

then maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X