Message from Pat Ganahl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monster View Post

I concur ... a lot of the hardcore car guys I knew in high school, college and the Navy never bought magazines ... they were too busy spending their hard earned money on parts, gas, etc. and precious time on wrenching.
    it's great this guy is supplementing his retirement income. If someone likes him great buy his stuff, but judging another because they don't know or don't care? that ain't right, moving on.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

I concur ... a lot of the hardcore car guys I knew in high school, college and the Navy never bought magazines ... they were too busy spending their hard earned money on parts, gas, etc. and precious time on wrenching.
      That was me. Except it was Army after leaving home. I probably bought 4 or 5 car magazines in my first 50 years of existence, so consequently, I don't have a clue who this guy is. Guess I'll look for some info about him.
      Last edited by oletrux4evr; January 15, 2020, 12:38 PM.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

First of all he's a street rod guy. In those days street rod meant pre '48. Hardly anyone built rods, but the fads around were interesting so thousands more read about them. Secondly Ganahl didn't cater to fads. He had a hand in starting a few, but he never followed them. It took me a minute to recognize the name. At first I thought he wrote for one of the handyman magazines like Popular Mechanix. But what do I know? Even though I've owned dozens of cars and participated in dozens of events I spent most of my efforts reading thousands of magazines appreciating what others did. I don't do any of that anymore, I just read and write stuff online. I'm probably not a car guy. I don't try to disqualify anyone else though.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	butthurt.jpeg
Views:	150
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1260096

Comment

but even here in hawaii i know who chico kodama is.
            Well done. I know who he is without doing a search. So far, so gOOd.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              First of all he's a street rod guy. In those days street rod meant pre '48. Hardly anyone built rods, but the fads around were interesting so thousands more read about them. Secondly Ganahl didn't cater to fads. He had a hand in starting a few, but he never followed them. It took me a minute to recognize the name. At first I thought he wrote for one of the handyman magazines like Popular Mechanix. But what do I know? Even though I've owned dozens of cars and participated in dozens of events I spent most of my efforts reading thousands of magazines appreciating what others did. I don't do any of that anymore, I just read and write stuff online. I'm probably not a car guy. I don't try to disqualify anyone else though.
              does he put his pants on one leg at a time? I like this quip - "if it's in the news, it's already too late."

Comment

I met Pat at SEMA over 20 years ago. He is indeed tall.

I'm not surprised that some folks have never heard of him.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've heard of him... Must be an ageist thing? He has a nice writing style.

Comment

If you're into traditional hot rods, you're more likely to have heard of him, than if you're into muscle cars, 4x4s, nascar, etc.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

he could post in a larger group..
                      ie the bangshift blog keeps busy.

but he is looking for money.
                      that old school way is all done.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have seen multiple people make comments intimating "he's in it for the money", which leads me to believe they haven't even read anything within the magazine massacre link??

Well, here is the last paragraph from that, so have a look, see if it changes your mind............

"Most of you quit reading several paragraphs ago. But for those still with us, here’s the punchline. Yes, I retired from books and print magazines a couple of years ago. But now here I am on the Internet. Son Bill and his wife Sabina strongly convinced me this is where I need to be; to give it a try. I do still have a whole lot of photographs that haven’t been seen and stories that haven’t been told. And I want to share them with you, the audience. You’ve hopefully noticed that there are no ads along the sides of this column, or popping up anywhere. I’m not looking to grow this audience so that I can “monetize” my archives like my business-minded friends tell me I should do. No, there’s no money involved here. But–punchline BUT–we do need to grow this audience. It’s pitifully small. I’m not sure how to do it, but you notice I said “we.” I’ll leave it at that for now. But the bottom line here is the same as that for all the magazines that have gone away. If I can’t generate any more readers than we have–get more people subscribed–then I find it hard to be motivated to continue doing the work it takes. You don’t even have to buy it. It’s free. But if more don’t use it, you’re going to lose it."

Comment

Originally posted by Tubbed Pacecar View Post
                          I have seen multiple people make comments intimating "he's in it for the money", which leads me to believe they haven't even read anything within the magazine massacre link??

Well, here is the last paragraph from that, so have a look, see if it changes your mind............

"Most of you quit reading several paragraphs ago. But for those still with us, here’s the punchline. Yes, I retired from books and print magazines a couple of years ago. But now here I am on the Internet. Son Bill and his wife Sabina strongly convinced me this is where I need to be; to give it a try. I do still have a whole lot of photographs that haven’t been seen and stories that haven’t been told. And I want to share them with you, the audience. You’ve hopefully noticed that there are no ads along the sides of this column, or popping up anywhere. I’m not looking to grow this audience so that I can “monetize” my archives like my business-minded friends tell me I should do. No, there’s no money involved here. But–punchline BUT–we do need to grow this audience. It’s pitifully small. I’m not sure how to do it, but you notice I said “we.” I’ll leave it at that for now. But the bottom line here is the same as that for all the magazines that have gone away. If I can’t generate any more readers than we have–get more people subscribed–then I find it hard to be motivated to continue doing the work it takes. You don’t even have to buy it. It’s free. But if more don’t use it, you’re going to lose it."
                          That is nice and all, but the last line nails it.
                          If he was doing it for the love of it, It not matter if only ten folks sub'd to it or watched it.
                          Sure you don't have to "buy it" ,It's free .just watch /hear the ad. or the start of an ad.
                          Those that do it for the love, don't worry how many watch or play/hear the podcast.
                          If they come, They think great, if not , no loss.
                          That last line, hints either sub to it, so I see good following numbers or I'm pulling the plug.
                          Makes perfect sense if it is to be a money generating project.
                          If that wasn't the goal.
                          It makes zero sense to end with use it or loose it.
                          Just my opinion. and frankly nothing wrong with wanting it to generate cash flow/income.
                          But don't act like your doing it for the love of it. or the # of those sub'd or playing the podcast, would not matter.
                          Last edited by Eric; January 18, 2020, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Eric,

If I'd post columns like Pat does, I would rather do this for a big audience than for ten people.
                            For me (and possibly for Pat too) the number of readers would matter, even without any money involved.
                            If the number of readers would be zero, I'd write the columns for myself and that would be a waste.
                            www.lowlandsXtreme.com --- Facebook: lowlandsXtreme

Comment

Originally posted by Gerrit View Post
                              Eric,

If I'd post columns like Pat does, I would rather do this for a big audience than for ten people.
                              For me (and possibly for Pat too) the number of readers would matter, even without any money involved.
                              If the number of readers would be zero, I'd write the columns for myself and that would be a waste.
                              I don't fault Ganahl for wanting to be paid for his efforts, and I don't care about his motivations... it truly is his life, his choices and I hope he does well in it.

With that said, "If the number of readers would be zero, I'd write the columns for myself and that would be a waste" ....seriously? If it weren't for people who don't make money, this forum would be crickets. While I get your point that there is a living to be made for some, I don't really see any writers, tv personalities or internet sensations around here keeping the lights on with non-paid content (McSquatch excepted). BS is a stepping stone for some to greater things, but this place would suck if it were all paid people trying to prove who can pee the farthest up the social media wall. It's great he wants to do something, it's excellent that a member gave him a plug, but honestly, where is he plugging his own stuff? go make money, but don't expect much or any hero worship here..... we build stuff here and post about it. For free. Sometimes with nary a view. We're fine with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerrit View Post
                                Eric,

Good thing the folks that post in the project car forum don't agree with you. Be it here or any other forum, No matter if it is Auto/vehicle related, a woodworking forum, a metal forum, a music forum, or any other type you can think of.
                                But I get the if not enough readers, I can't be bothered, Sadly that is also the reason a lot of skills die with generations.

Imagine every company that threw in the towel if they didn't get enough followers/buyers/uses right off the bat.
                                Even if it was just a hobby. At first that they saw a market for bigger than just their local buddies/friends.

Maybe this guy, when writing for a mag, got a high out of the comment/replies of his work, be it online or snail mail. And still NEEDS that validation .
                                No idea. As I don't know him, or of him.
                                But eitherway it be sad if the skills/knowledge/stories died with him, because he didn't feel there were enough clicking on a podcast. fast enough for his ego's liking.

Comment

Working...
                                X