• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ridiculous "vintage" prices...

so a good friend donated an old EELCO 2.5 gallon tank
    for the 55 gasser build, complete with stanchions, hold
    downs, cap, etc... i was going to mount it up front like
    the old gassers but use it as a puketank for the radiator.

it actually has drag history to it, was on an altered he
    crewed on back in the 70's.

a quick fleabay perusal shows an n.o.s. set of JUST the
    stanchions and hold downs-no tank- at $995 buy it now.
    thats insane. i think i need to give it back to him and tell
    him to sell it, i realize its only worth what someones willing
    to pay, but D@MN that thing may as well be solid gold.

so how do i do it without insulting him? any ideas?
    i didnt know they were that expensive and i dont know if
    he does either, you know what i mean?

seems silly to use something that expensive on my
    ghetto ride when a no name chinesium one is around
    $150 and would work just fine for me. and im sure
    he could find a buyer for quite a bit, maybe not as
    much as fleabay here, but still.

just dont want to 'take advantage' of a friend if he didnt know
    what he had. (i had no clue either.)

you're stuck using it, that said, if $995 is unreasonable, do what they did in the old days - build something yourself; if anything, that would acknowledge your friend's gift the best...
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 23, 2020, 11:57 AM. Reason: grammar nazi correction
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Anything is only worth what you have a customer ready to pay. I think the bracket listing is a fluke or fishing expedition because after all Eelco is just cheap mass produced Moon. I'd just say "I saw the brackets for bug bux on E-Bay. Let me know if you ever want the tank back". I once had a 426 wedge block and crank with Ramchargers stamped into the deck. That was the late 70s though and a block was just a block. I asked around a bit, got tired of hearing "But do you have the CROSS RAM or HEADS?" then traded it and parts for a slightly rusty '69 SuperBee. A running pile of parts is always way better than a non-running one. But if that were NOW.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        Anything is only worth what you have a customer ready to pay. I think the bracket listing is a fluke or fishing expedition because after all Eelco is just cheap mass produced Moon. I'd just say "I saw the brackets for bug bux on E-Bay. Let me know if you ever want the tank back". I once had a 426 wedge block and crank with Ramchargers stamped into the deck. That was the late 70s though and a block was just a block. I asked around a bit, got tired of hearing "But do you have the CROSS RAM or HEADS?" then traded it and parts for a slightly rusty '69 SuperBee. A running pile of parts is always way better than a non-running one. But if that were NOW.
        I was selling some BBC heads (which I gave up because of the knuckleheads - with apologies to Dan's dog) and wanted $250 for the pair, ready to bolt on. With pictures and the note they were oval heads. I kept getting people demanding numbers on the head.... they're $250 heads, come look or go away... oh no, then I get a really rude response.... you do know you're going to see me f2f? then I post some numbers for aluminum GM stock ZL1 heads. Then I get begging to see them along with "I'll buy them" .... after about the 10th email I responded that I was pulling the ad because someone had told me they were worth more.....

Comment

After dealing with the Max Wedge thing I see an ad in National Dragster looking for specific 60s 383 castings. I had some. Thinking "Oh BOY!" I call the guy. He tells me he flow benches then for his class car BUT he usually gets them for free and Minnesota to Wisconsin was too far.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

ebay has asking prices, and what things sell for, and they're not always the same.

Some folks are building cars that need certain parts to be "right", and will pay what's needed for them. If you don't need to use that particular tank, then maybe you should indeed let him sell it instead.

I think it's kind of dorky having a tank on the front of a car that doesn't need it there. But to each his own.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

I think it's kind of dorky having a tank on the front of a car that doesn't need it there. But to each his own.
              you have seen Solly, right?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                ebay has asking prices, and what things sell for, and they're not always the same.

Some folks are building cars that need certain parts to be "right", and will pay what's needed for them. If you don't need to use that particular tank, then maybe you should indeed let him sell it instead.

thats what im thinking-- show him a few links with prices and ask if he wants it back.
                if he says no then im going to run it, "value" be d@mned!

and yes, cars NEED puke tanks. does it NEED to be on the front bumper? no. but if im
                gonna have to run one anyway i may as well put it where it looks right for the car.....
                just like the fenderwell headers it sure LOOKS period correct.i dont mind a few concessions
                in the name of ease, price, durability or driveability--like an HEI instead of points or a mag.

but i really want the 55 to have that gasser look i see in my mind. the straight axle front, old
                school (ansens, torq thrusts, cragars, etc) pizza cutter front rims, a foot of lift, fenderwell headers,
                fatter rear rims that dont match the fronts, 6ft ladders, big block, dual carb, 4spd, etc.... and
                yes a baby tank hung off the front somewhere. if that makes me dorky oh well then im dorky,
                hah hah.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

you have seen Solly, right?
                  HEY !!! ya b@st@rd....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    I was selling some BBC aluminum GM stock ZL1 heads.
                    Winters "snowflake" heads are bringing big bucks these days.

Comment

A fuel tank isn't really a puke tank, in real life. It is in "fake gasser" life.

What you really need on the car, and you can buy them on ebay cheap, is a 1960s steel 16 oz beer can. I run Schlitz on my Chevy II, and PBR on my Barracuda.

photo courtesy Hot Rod Magazine

Click image for larger version

Name:	035-1964-chevy-ii-nova-drag-weekend-2016.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	1260816
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

now thats awesome...and totally redneck in a good way.
                        .since im in hawaii and dont drink, how bout if i use a
                        delmonte pineapple rings can.....

speaking of winters castings....another friend has a
                        OTC replacement L88 with the winters stamps. he
                        did a stock except for .030 piston rebuild, even
                        used a crane repop L88 cam.

thats a 430hp rated engine, with the overbore, headers,
                        and everything else 100% stock it dynod at 513hp... i knew
                        that thing made more than 430hp but thats like 80hp
                        more than rated! good stuff. no wonder they are legendary.

there was also that 427 on the front page of bangshift
                        that made 500hp through factory vette manifolds.....

Comment

I have a pair of 1970 dated Winters L88 heads on the 427 in my Chevy II. I don't know what HP it makes, it also has a blower on it, but I did run 9.89 against Finnegan in his last pass on Drag week last year. They're neat engines. Complete numbers matching L88 engines are worth a fortune...but you can make a copy pretty cheap, if you shop patiently.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Seeing core 327 and 283's going for $1000 around here...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              Seeing core 327 and 283's going for $1000 around here...
                              yeah, i thought the new "EL-LESS" fad would drive prices on 1st gen
                              sbc or bbc stuff down, instead its done the opposite and driven prices
                              thru the roof! bummer........

Comment

Working...
                              X