Big news from Street Outlaws fans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big news from Street Outlaws fans!

Following the trash talk war between James "Reaper" Goad and Alex Laughlin I learned the lil' old TV show about hillbillies street racing their fugly junk has single handedly SAVED drag racing. I'm sure Brian is elated over that. Now if only all the Pro Mods would go away and leave them to their imagined supremacy.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

I literally deplore the trash talk on these shows. As ZZ Top said;

"I'll let the machine speak".

Comment

Just another ahem, " reality show".
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

As much as that show is a drama reality tv show.
        It took much of the fast and furious opinion out of many of the general public that is not into drag racing or motorsports.
        They do have a point.
        The NHRA has a hard time to filing full class fields . and butts in the stands.
        Any event they put on at a track is PACKED.
        They might not matter to those in a motorsports bubble,
        but the number of folks in the general population that would've never watched an NHRA event on tv. or goto a drag strip.
        Are.
        That is nothing but good for drag strips and the sport.
        STREET OUTLAWS is todays MATCH RACES/ grudge races that pulled in the crowds in the 60's-80's.
        I don't know if the way they act on the show like punks is, like what racers are like at the track. but the you tube video's of the non-nhra races and outlaw tracks. it looks like it is.
        Have a big mouth and hope your ride can back it up.
        I'm just shocked the show has lasted as long as it has.
        Never thought it spawn others and and keep going.

Comment

Way back before the Turn of the Century, I did go To Grudge Night Racing, mostly to see how my rig could do. There wasn't any real Trash Talking until the END OF THE NIGHT, where the winners would Talk Up what they had in their cars, or Brag Up the Money they spent!!
          Great Lakes Dragway didn't have strict classes, if you found a car close to yours, you could get a line ticket, some nights it was packed with cars, the tower rough handicapped your car during inspection, and you ran against you ever pulled in the slot next to you. (You learned real fast not to "Red Light Out!!)
          I don't remember any fights back then, but money would be exchanged once in a while...

The only tragedy was a Unrelated Gang shooting at the track several decades later.

Comment

Love it or hate the show it has brought new folks to drag racing which is a good thing. I like that "it's run what you brung"
            Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
            The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

I don't think the "new folks" are doing more than planting their ass in front of the TV or building junk to race No Prep, No Time and No Class (pun INTENDED). No Time just let's EVERYONE claim to be fastest, invincible after one lucky win and the trash talking ensues. "I DRAGGED HIS ASS!" when the guy had hundreds of horsepower more than you, left on you and rattled the tires because he screwed up at the keyboard of his laptop. It probably wouldn't go that way again in a million years and HE will probably have to wait that long as you duck his call outs.

I call out the fans. Call it "run what you brung" ONE MORE TIME with the convoluted annually changing rules of No Prep Princesses and invite only entry list.

Street Outlaws changed real drag racing like Talladega Nights revolutionized NASCAR.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                I don't think the "new folks" are doing more than planting their ass in front of the TV or building junk to race No Prep, No Time and No Class (pun INTENDED). No Time just let's EVERYONE claim to be fastest, invincible after one lucky win and the trash talking ensues. "I DRAGGED HIS ASS!" when the guy had hundreds of horsepower more than you, left on you and rattled the tires because he screwed up at the keyboard of his laptop. It probably wouldn't go that way again in a million years and HE will probably have to wait that long as you duck his call outs.

I call out the fans. Call it "run what you brung" ONE MORE TIME with the convoluted annually changing rules of No Prep Princesses and invite only entry list.

Street Outlaws changed real drag racing like Talladega Nights revolutionized NASCAR.
                And those folks, don't care what the NHRA and old guard think,
                As both are only killing drag racing.
                Both the old guard and the NHRA that think pro stock as more fun to watch than paint dry, and fuel cars that all week end might get 10% of the races to be even somewhat close, and not one rail blowing the tires off it, or blowing up.
                No one can relate to any of it any more.
                Part of the reason the number of fuel team owners is tiny. And pro stock is all but dead.
                Sure the tv show type cars are mostly 100k+ rides, but the type racing is fun to watch, to the People in the stands.
                And most can relate to a built fox body mustang, or a beat looking el camino, That get a few to think, I could see myself in something like that, but slower.
                Over a spaceship looking prostock. or promod, fuel cars. No one in the stands or at home watching on tv is thinking, I could do that, other than be the paid hot shue.
                They know, they would never be able to afford to even make the field, unless the race class didn't have a full field show up.
                But then only be way off the pace.
                All motorsports, better start promoting the levels in their type racing that the normal person could see themselves building/buying and racing , over the million dollar(s) pro ranks that no one sees themselves ever going after.

Does the NHRA cover and have any of the lower series of drag racing shown on tv coverage?
                We get very limited pro highlites, So maybe it is different in your country.
                But if they don't. They better start.
                Last edited by Eric; January 29, 2020, 02:30 AM.

Comment

The NHRA is far from perfect, but Street Outlaws is far from changing it.
                  Last edited by RockJustRock; January 29, 2020, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    The NHRA is far from perfect, but Street Outlaws is fat from changing it.
                    The NHRA told Jeff Lutz to remove himself from the show, or they would drop his license, and he wouldn’t be able to run at NHRA sanctioned tracks. Lutz told them to pound sand,he was staying on the show, and the NHRA backed off....that tells you the power that show has.....
                    58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

I really hate this show. I have watched only a few times so maybe it has changed into not being so ridiculous . The idea that you could race on a public street for hours during a night and not arouse the suspicion of anybody not involved. My fear is that shows like this lead other folks to believe it is okay to do.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                        ...The idea that you could race on a public street for hours during a night and not arouse the suspicion of anybody not involved...
                        Have you ever watched Pro Wrestling?

Comment

I really hate this show. I have watched only a few times so maybe it has changed into not being so ridiculous . The idea that you could race on a public street for hours during a night and not arouse the suspicion of anybody not involved. My fear is that shows like this lead other folks to believe it is okay to do.
                          There is a disclaimer at the beginning of the show.... I guess you cant fix stupid... to which I retort... you can't fix it, but, you can kill it.... just remove all federally mandated warning labels and disclaimers (Darwinism)
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Reading the latest posts makes me recall short track racing that my brother and I did in the mid 80's. The High Dollar Cars ran first, and the crowd mostly sat, just waiting for crashes.
                            We were in the "Spectator Class" which originally ran last of the Night.
                            All these Beater Cars came out onto the track,
                            And it was like the Roman Colosseum!!
                            The people in the stands are Jumping on the Bleachers, hollering for blood!! Inexperienced drivers, welds and chains holding cars intact, and basically a Free For All of 25 laps!!!
                            Two track promoters seen the $$$$ potential, and ran these classes before the Feature races while crews on the High Dollar Cars were pounding out fenders, swapping tires getting ready for the High Dollar race.
                            Maybe it's time for this FUN to come around again.

Comment

i hope anyone watching that show would realize in the first 2 minutes, that the road is intentionally shut down, for the show. Camera crews, massive lighting rigs, the fire/ambulance/emt crews, production team, etc. I don’t think anyone is foolish enough to think they are doing this “ under cover of night”
                              58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X