• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check Your Hot Wheels Collection

Wow.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Hadone of the blue ones. $250 about 15 yrs ago

Comment

Never had Hot Wheels - I was born too early (or at least I didn't know about them as a kid).

Dan

Comment

I gave my meager collection to the thrift store last month. So there.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

got a few that book in the $4500+ range (according to warmans online pricing guide)
          but as always its only worth what someones willing to pay you for it. when my boy was
          diagnosed with leukemia, i hit a few 'collectables' places here. guys were literally
          offering 10% of book,basically knock a zero off so $4500 became $450....

so they went back in the closet and we sold one of our vettes instead. (the 77...)
          the low book at the time was $8500, got a little over that.

Comment

Bought my first Hot Wheels in '68. Still buying 'em.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
              Bought my first Hot Wheels in '68. Still buying 'em.
              The only one I have now somewhere in the house is a fork truck, still in the package. In the news article they showed the VW bus they didn't manufacture because it was too top heavy for primo performance. I don't think that fork truck would do well zooming down the orange track or racing across the floor pushed hard.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The first sixteen castings were released on May 18, 1968.

Comment

And of the Sweet Sixteen, which ones were your favorites?

In no particular order - The Silhouette, the Deora, the Beatnik Bandit, the custom Corvette, the custom Cougar, the custom Mustang, and the Ford J-car. Don't think I ever had any of the others.

Eventually, I had miles of the orange track, the Supercharger, and all that. I really got into the rechargeable Sizzlers, and had a mile of that track, too. My neighborhood kids would get together for Sizzler races on our massive front porch and have races all day. Good times!
                  Last edited by studemax; February 10, 2020, 06:47 AM.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Last year October, took a large box of Hot Wheels, Matchbox, and accessories that had been in my basement for ever, to my 2 yr old Grand Son Ryker.
                    They were my Son Shaun's when he was a child.
                    I don't know who was having MORE FUN Playing with them? And the constant, "Oh, I remember This One" from Shaun.
                    Ryker loved the Turo Booster so they did the loops.
                    "You're Never TOO OLD to Play Make Believe!"
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Beatnik Bandit - This is actually based on a custom by Big Daddy Roth.
                      Custom Barracuda - It is said that this casting, with Hot Wheels’ bright Spectraflame paint, caused Dodge/Plymouth to choose very bright and flashy colors for the second gen Challenger/Cuda, respectively.
                      Custom Camaro - This is the first Hot Wheels casting. It is also one of the few cars to accidentally have the prototype of it to the public. These, due to so many variations, are overall very valuable cars.
                      Custom Corvette - This car actually leaked the C3 Corvette.
                      Custom Cougar - Almost always worth more than the Custom Mustang, these cars are semi-rare, with some versions being almost un-findable. Example: There are less than ten brown cars known to exist.
                      Custom Eldorado - The man who designed this casting left Cadillac design to join Hot Wheels design.
                      Custom Firebird - This car is considerably changed from the real car. It has been visually and physically lengthened, had its roof cut off, among other things.
                      Custom Fleetside
                      Custom Mustang - So many variations. Trivia: the Custom Mustang is actually based on the 1967 model year, as opposed to the 1968 they claim.
                      Custom T-Bird - Most of these cars have the black paint roof, and those that don’t are worth a small fortune.
                      Custom VW - They put the engine in the right wrong place. And made it a dragster. Hot Wheels logic.
                      Deora - Based on a well-known custom, Deora is a Dodge concept truck. The surf boards were added by Hot Wheels.
                      Ford J-Car - The cheap Redline; only worth about $35 mint in most colors.
                      Hot Heap - The quintessential 1960’s custom Model T.
                      Python. Also known as Cheetah. Python is worth a few $20 bills. Cheetah is worth hundreds of $20 bills.
                      Silhouette. This is possibly the most well known and common 1968 Redline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HW16.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1262321

Comment

ive got several +/- "hundreds" dollars cars, but i doubt i would sell them.
                        i really enjoy building custom hot wheels. changing paint, swapping wheels... fun stuff.

that spectraflame paint is, well, not the easiest paint to use. at least to me, though i am getting better.
                        ive been collecting a "sweet 16" set to restore.

my fave casting is the "heavy chevy" camaro, followed by the 56 nomad. i think i have between 50 and 75 of just that (nomad) 1 casting. yikes. that seems crazy when i read that back to myself.... :-)

I was doing a custom Nomad last night, experimenting with adding alcohol ink into clear coat. very interesting.
                        speaking of painting....
                        mixing ink with Pledge floor care product make a" brilliant" transparent coating.... super shiney, but itll sure run easy.....
                        Last edited by 1badmonkey; February 10, 2020, 12:34 PM.
                        Charles

Comment

Probably had most of them but lost a lot of my cars when our house burnt in 73. Still have 3 plus about twenty others that were in a different spot in my room. One of my favorites was the Monkeemobile, it was made by Husky in Great Britain. Also have several of the matchbox cars made by Lesney in England. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200210_132355.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	1262329
                          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Just a few of the loose cars I have.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	StowandGo.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	67.9 KB