X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
    Maybe he went with engine braking because it's going on the street a fair bit.

It gets on the road.

I dunno... in this world, it's confrontation to ask someone why - so if he doesn't answer, it's cool, he seems to get grief from the other 'tubers in Australia - so I can understand avoiding that...

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    Maybe he went with engine braking because it's going on the street a fair bit.

It gets on the road.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I wonder why he went with engine braking.... basically the transmission acts like a manual but since you don't have a clutch... it gets pretty annoying pretty quickly.

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ratpatrol66
    replied
    I have a set of aluminum Stage II Buick V6 heads. Also a set of cast iron stage Ii heads. Contact me at
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    Richard is playing with another one he found, this time TURBO, may be interesting to some here

Last edited by 65RHDEER; November 24, 2020, 11:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ratpatrol66
    replied
    I have a set of cast and alum. stage II heads and a couple odd ball nascar type manifolds???

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    Playing V6 again with Kevin

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    Everyone is playing with the 3800, even Richard Holdener

And more Carnage 3800

Leave a comment:

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

would you like a picture, or would the pictures of the GN motor on Buinicorn's page be enough for you? 215 has its own pattern (and 300), 225 and 231 share their pattern with every other BOP motor out there, the Series II and Series III use the 2.8 pattern (as you refer as Metric60-which probably the right name but not how it's stored in my head)
    A buyer's guide to 1984-1987 Buick Grand Nationals and Turbo Regals.

• M10x1.5 metric for accessory mounting holes on heads
    • Boss on the rear of block for Knock Sensor
    • Transverse FWD 3.0 V6 introduced in the Skylarkk (X body) with the FWD bolt pattern
    • New camshaft design with 0.030" larger base circle diameter
    • 0.015" shorter push rods and 0.015" shorter lifters to accommodate base circle (8.703" vs. 8.718")
    • Oil groove added to the block behind cam bearing #1 and oil groove removed from cam shaft from the cam shaft
    • In mid-year, the 3.8 FWD V6 was added for the MFI Century T-Type
    This is my 3.8 VIN 3 swap thread. I am presenting the thread as FYI entertainment more than a recommendation really. A little history- my initial investment was cheap to get this engine. They aren't terribly plentiful anymore but if you find one cheap and like to get into engine building, its does have a few things to recommend it. Right off the bat, I'm well aware of the 3800 SC & NA virtues. And

I can't find the build by TurboKenetic on TurboBuick.com but there was detailed pictures of his rebuild of a 84 Century converting it to Turbo which showed the Metric60 bellhousing on the transmission. My point is, you can go father back to get a 3.8L block without balance shaft but a Metric60 bell by raiding the FWD versions that Buick and others put out of the formerly fullsized cars like LeSabres, Electras, Park Avenues, Bonnevilles, and Rivieras as well as the top trim Centuries and Cutlasses.

Edit: I think I see the confusion, Buick (GM really) made multiple versions of the block with the same basic features but in the BOP-C and Metric60 bells. They also made the 3.0L with the same 3.8in bore but a lower deck height and I believe all of these were Metric60 bell.
    Last edited by CTX-SLPR; July 21, 2020, 06:45 AM. Reason: Added Information

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post

from what my old timey books say, the pre 1964 v6's shared the 215/300 bell, and the 64 later until "metric" was BOP. I'd be okay with saying "Before Balance Shaft" and "After Balance Shaft" because that is an architectural difference, but doesn't matter that much to me. I'm not building anything that doesn't have room for a V8.
    I'm building a V6 because I love the look on a microsoftie's face when you suck the doors off their bonus-check lambo. With a V8 the line is "well, this is 'refined'" there is a retort but in a polite place like BS, Monster would frown.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

would you like a picture, or would the pictures of the GN motor on Buinicorn's page be enough for you? 215 has its own pattern (and 300), 225 and 231 share their pattern with every other BOP motor out there, the Series II and Series III use the 2.8 pattern (as you refer as Metric60)
    from what my old timey books say, the pre 1964 v6's shared the 215/300 bell, and the 64 later until "metric" was BOP. I'd be okay with saying "Before Balance Shaft" and "After Balance Shaft" because that is an architectural difference, but doesn't matter that much to me. I'm not building anything that doesn't have room for a V8.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    okay, so where does the "Series" come into it relative to date? The 1961 and later stuff, the 1964 and later "even fire" with BOP bell, the Kaiser Jeep years, the re-introduction as the "odd-fire" in the 1975 or so, or the metric stuff when they started using it heavily in fwd cars, or the balance shaft years? hee hee.
    metric started with the 2.8 Chevy motor.... the even fire is 'just' a different crank, externally, they look pretty much the same (outside of the distributor cap)
    series came in with the post-GN motors... and those I'm learning about but still have a ways to go
    there also isn't a difference between the front and rear wheel drive Series II and later motors (outside of accessory drive)

and the biggest problem with bolting a 2.8 700r4 behind a series motor is they are a weak-sauce 700r4 (4l60e).... which is why I'm adapting to the 4L80e rather then building a bulletproof 4L60e (which has a better 1st gear)
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 18, 2020, 09:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
    I don't think the Series 1 or even all of the pre-series 1 stuff was BOP-C bell, a good chunk of it was already Metric60.

Not that I'm aware of, however there are plenty of FWD 3.8L blocks with the Metric60 bells which like you point out work on the TH700R4 if you wanted to go that way. Even the low deck 3.0L FWD blocks if you wanted to get crazy on the internals. Best source for a Metric60 3.8L blocks would be late the late 80's FWD stuff, heads will work but you'd basically have to use the '89 Turbo Trans-Am stuff as it used the FWD heads to clear the F-body engine bay.
    would you like a picture, or would the pictures of the GN motor on Buinicorn's page be enough for you? 215 has its own pattern (and 300), 225 and 231 share their pattern with every other BOP motor out there, the Series II and Series III use the 2.8 pattern (as you refer as Metric60-which probably the right name but not how it's stored in my head)
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 18, 2020, 09:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X