3800 v6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

the common theme seems to be good power, shit transmissions.
    Pretty much all round too. Breaks 4T65E's and 4L60E's as well. I don't think I've heard of them breaking a 4T80E but that was never factory.
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
      Pretty much all round too. Breaks 4T65E's and 4L60E's as well. I don't think I've heard of them breaking a 4T80E but that was never factory.
      I wonder at 4L80e availability in Australia... that was pretty much a truck-only deal...
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It would be awesome if they made a Metric60 bell for the later 4L80E with the detachable bellhousing.

I've seen a Riviera and I think an Aurora with a 4T80E and an L67. Documentation I've read said you have to remove one of the knock sensors and clearance the block slightly around the bellhousing to make it fit but that's pretty minor work.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I wonder at 4L80e availability in Australia... that was pretty much a truck-only deal...
          The only thing I can think of that came with a 4L80e were the 6.5 Suburbans that Holden sold here around the turn of the century. They would have only sold a few thousand of them.
          Just stick a glide in it, done!
          Tim
          Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post

The only thing I can think of that came with a 4L80e were the 6.5 Suburbans that Holden sold here around the turn of the century. They would have only sold a few thousand of them.
            Just stick a glide in it, done!
            sounds like there's opportunity to smuggle in some 4L80s
            go to the race track "hey buddy, you want 4 speeds?"

Comment

I'll ship you the Barra's, you ship me the 4L80's
              Tim
              Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                I'll ship you the Barra's, you ship me the 4L80's
                you do know what I think of Fords, right? though I may be bought for a few "ran when pulled" 3800s (like the one I just got with a rattly rod).

joking aside, an allegedly useable 4L80e isn't that expensive - can you sneak them in as "used farm parts?" like I did with the 300tdi?
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 15, 2020, 07:28 AM.

Comment

you do know what I think of Fords, right? though I may be bought for a few "ran when pulled" 3800s (like the one I just got with a rattly rod).

joking aside, an allegedly useable 4L80e isn't that expensive - can you sneak them in as "used farm parts?" like I did with the 300tdi?
                  should be able to , came out of a farm implement... :|

I kid... I kid.

No, I don't think the 3800 will replace the LS for dirt cheap performance. 400hp out of a 6.0 LS is pretty much... put it on the dyno. Maybe a cam swap and headers for a 5.3 ... "mild" cam and headers on a 6.0 is an easy 500 hp / 500 ish Tq. The mill is genius. The thing it came I'm not always as fond of. The 4L80e enjoys good parts and multiple controllers too.

I'd like to see the 3800 with a hairdryer instead of a huffer. What is the general torque limit the block will put up with?
                  Last edited by Beagle; July 15, 2020, 08:34 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The whole weak transmission think probably limits taking it as far as you can as there is an L67 based turbo motor in a Grand National that was pulling down 700hp easy but again saddled with a 4L60E. Overall the blocks have a lot of more strength than the older 3.8L's with the crossbolted main caps, a solid valley, and thicker decks.
                    Last edited by CTX-SLPR; July 15, 2020, 12:20 PM.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

should be able to , came out of a farm implement... :|

I kid... I kid.

No, I don't think the 3800 will replace the LS for dirt cheap performance. 400hp out of a 6.0 LS is pretty much... put it on the dyno. Maybe a cam swap and headers for a 5.3 ... "mild" cam and headers on a 6.0 is an easy 500 hp / 500 ish Tq. The mill is genius. The thing it came I'm not always as fond of. The 4L80e enjoys good parts and multiple controllers too.

I'd like to see the 3800 with a hairdryer instead of a huffer. What is the general torque limit the block will put up with?
                      according to my guy who is building and running them (Kevin Yates Racing)... 1500 hp...
                      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 15, 2020, 02:21 PM.

Comment

The whole weak transmission think probably limits taking it as far as you can as there is an L67 based turbo motor in a Grand National that was pulling down 700hp easy but again saddled with a 4L60E. Overall the blocks have a lot of more strength than the older 3.8L's with the crossbolted main caps, a solid valley, and thicker decks.
                        what 4L60e or 700r4 is behind a GNX motor?
                        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 15, 2020, 02:13 PM.

Comment

what 4L60e or 700r4 is behind a GNX motor?
                          It's an RPO L67 (3800 Supercharged) based so it's running a Metric60 bell 4L60E out of either an F-body or S-10. Stock Grand National (or any T-type) 3.8L Turbo6 was RPO LC2.

I'd believe the 1500hp number unless there's some defect like too sharp a radius on a main cap, etc.
                          Central TEXAS Sleeper
                          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

It's an RPO L67 (3800 Supercharged) based so it's running a Metric60 bell 4L60E out of either an F-body or S-10. Stock Grand National (or any T-type) 3.8L Turbo6 was RPO LC2.

I'd believe the 1500hp number unless there's some defect like too sharp a radius on a main cap, etc.
                            the GNX motor has a different bellhousing - the only 4 speed auto I know of that will fit it is the 200r4. you turned me onto the Series 2 and 3 motors, they continue to impress me - stock (reworked) heads and stock bottom end that hands 750 hp... 1500 requires billet crank, but that's out of a 6. As far as the 4L80e - Kevin is why I went with the 4l80e in my wagon, you can get adapters to mate them to the Series 2 and 3 motors.... still, need to get the black thing out of the shop (more, I need to get the parts back on it so I can reclaim some shop space).... then back to the wagon and Defender

Comment

I was going to ask about adapters because I'm a little lazy these days. I have not much love for the 4l60. That is probably because Dad's stock grandpa driven 4.3 S10 grenaded one with less than 100k miles and it had never seen serious work. We hear all the time how guys spend stupid money on them and still it's a grenade with the pin pulled.

1500 hp? Wow. Color me impressed.

Stock block, stock crank, how much will that hold reliably? Where do things start breaking? Rods? Crank? I'm not sure when 600hp became my magic number, and I think it's about to change to 700 hp... if it will tolerate that on the stock long block then I'll probably change my tune a little. I think it takes more thought than a 700 hp LS, but that's all part of this game right?

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                                I was going to ask about adapters because I'm a little lazy these days. I have not much love for the 4l60. That is probably because Dad's stock grandpa driven 4.3 S10 grenaded one with less than 100k miles and it had never seen serious work. We hear all the time how guys spend stupid money on them and still it's a grenade with the pin pulled.

1500 hp? Wow. Color me impressed.

Stock block, stock crank, how much will that hold reliably? Where do things start breaking? Rods? Crank? I'm not sure when 600hp became my magic number, and I think it's about to change to 700 hp... if it will tolerate that on the stock long block then I'll probably change my tune a little. I think it takes more thought than a 700 hp LS, but that's all part of this game right?

Keep watching the Aussie channels - Nugget Garage and Carnage.. both are racing those motors, one with a turbo, the other with the blower. Or, check out BBR's experience with racing one (yeah, Ford guy racing a Buick)...

what attracts me the most to it is the V6 sound - they sound terrible - with a V6 in my 64 Wagon, no one will give it a second look until they wonder why they only see tail lights....

the other thing is the 3800 is in the same family as the 231 V6 (the Grand National motor) - it's not a Chevy motor, not at all. It does have a few challenges that should be addressed before you make power (ARP head studs, Cometic gasket) .... but again, it harkens back to when Buick spanked Corvette.

and Barra. Everything I've seen is 500 hp is about the limit with a Barra before major work is required to keep it together.... vs. 700 hp... and a shorter package.... straight 6s are cool for a number of reasons but it's like many other motors, it ain't cool if it doesn't fit.
                                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 16, 2020, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X