EPA & Engine Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

most?

While there are exceptions of course, engineers tend to be folks who like to grind thru a problem, get ALL the data available, beat that puppy into dust, get someone else to write the report (most engineers are poor writers and practically invented the run-on sentence), and when all that's done move on to the nest issue.

The irony of the word "most" in that sentence is awesome.

Commas cannot save the world.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Oops - missed an "as" before "engineers". I'm a better writer than I am a typist.

Dan

Comment

Yes we had some expository writing clases (2) in my engineering program. Learn how to write? Not so much. We had to write lab reports for a few courses, but like Dan pointed out, gring throughthe numbers and move on. We could have used ESL (english as a second language) courses just like imigrants take. Math on the other hand, well at least we all learned the greek alphabet because its used for all those neat little squigley symbols you see in engineering texts. And don't get me going about Ph.Ds. They really arelike the Big Bang Theory. If you don't have a Ph.D don't talk to them.

In my group, we have 3 Ph.Ds, one even resembles Sheldon. Me, I'm Wolowitz, I only have a masters degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Michigan. Unfortunately wedon't have a Penny!

Comment

I think writing as a necessary evil, and is really over rated.

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Well I like writing, when someone else does it! But of course I always said I am not afraid of hard work, I can stand and watch someone doing it all day long!

Comment

For me, I Learned English from the Canadian's, and went to Public Schools........
              Worked as a Driver for over 40 years.......
              ALL my "Learning" was "Practical Sciences"
              for electrical, mechanical, and civil engineering.

Comment

English a? my formative years, the 10 years after high school (public also) and before college (UMass and U of M, both state schools and both the best) were spent "learning the same way. I was an industrial mechanic (they wouldn't call us millwrights because the pay would have been more) and learned how to make things and make them work. The company I worked for, Lenox Machine inLenox, MA, made paper sheeters and winders and material handling equipment for the finishing room of paper mills. But like all things business, the way to increase profit is to buy your competitors, and that's just what Beloit Corp. did, then they got bought by Yagenburgher (not sure if the spelling), and then, well you get the idea. A few sales later andLenox exists no more.

Along the way I built and raced dirt modifieds in the NE, got involvrd in SCCA racing, blew things up for a living, learned the basics of failure analysis, taught some industrial arts, wrote and published some very boring, dry technical papers ranging from tribology to emissions research, and even Saudi Arabian black sand (it was an interesting collaboration looking at pollution of Saudi deserts from industrial complexes).

The most fun, the people I met along the path. I learned something from them all, both the ones I really liked and those not so much. In fact the ones not so much usually taught me more than would be expected. It just goes to show, you can't judge a book by its cover, is really true!

Comment

Working...
                X