Hot Forged. Sawdust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Forged. Sawdust?

so I wonder if oak sawdust is used when they really want a tough crank... and yes, wait for it.

kidding aside, who am I kidding? there's many jewels in here.... note the safety hats, the careful use of a pipe while forging... and there is LOTS more.

and really cool.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Stuff like that fascinates me. Thanks for posting it.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
      Stuff like that fascinates me. Thanks for posting it.
      I didn't know that sawdust was a part of forging...

Comment

Neither did I.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

I went to thumbs up the video, but i already did 4 years ago
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I used to throw pots, especially liked RAKU method where pots go from the kiln into sawdust.. Different sawdust varieties and size made beautiful finishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
              I went to thumbs up the video, but i already did 4 years ago
              I'll let you post it again in 4 years it's good election year stuff....
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 13, 2020, 03:44 PM.

Comment

With the sawdust, it really was only a little sprinkle over the part and not very uniform but it must be enough.

And the safety, you may get away with no head and eye protection but the ears, how in the world they didn't look after their ears, every day at the end of a shift they would be ringing.
                Last edited by 65RHDEER; March 13, 2020, 05:46 PM.
                Tim
                Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

The Co I work for builds retrofit and new refit controls for all of the mill equipment seen in that video. I like the part with the old man in the control chair with the pipe in his mouth. There are still a lot of old timers like him working in the mills. They have to, the younger gens don't want to do man's work anymore..

Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
                  And the safety, you may get away with no head and eye protection but the ears, how in the world they didn't look after their ears, every day at the end of a shift they would be ringing.
                  A lot of mills are extremely strict these days. Some of them require you to take safety training courses and do an onsite drug test with someone watching before you even think about setting foot in the plant or doing any work... The attire requirements are crazy too. I get it though, they don't want to get sued..

Comment

Found this one, more metal shaping, gets interesting in the middle of it

Tim
                    Melbourne Australia

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post
                      .. The attire requirements are crazy too. I get it though, they don't want to get sued..
                      after handling lots of these cases, I've yet to hear anyone even breath that it's so they don't get sued - no plant owner or operator ever wants their workers to get injured or killed. On the other hand, the consumer wants cheap stuff - and they don't care how that happens.... (stop buying cheap crap from countries who don't care about their workers).,,,

Comment

That guy making axe heads has some serious skill........
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                          That guy making axe heads has some serious skill........
                          You could see that he was working to the rhythm of the press, I wonder how many axe heads he has made, I hope he's not doing it day in day out.
                          Tim
                          Melbourne Australia

Comment

Working...
                          X