Putting EFI on my wife's Dart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Putting EFI on my wife's Dart

At the Zip Tie Drags last year (2019), I won the race with my Chevy II, and sponsor FiTech gave me an EFI system. I decided it needs to go on my wife's Dart, to fix a minor issue (fuel evaporates from the carb because it doesn't get driven every day). I was going to order a gas tank with a pump in it last year, but never got around to it. But a few weeks ago, she said "is this the tank we need for the Dart?"...and ordered one. Now I get to install it all.

I looked everything over, and so far the challenges include where to route fuel lines, and how to install the temp sensor. I ordered a bunch of -6 hose and fittings and a filter. I also ordered a "tuner" part, which is an aluminum fitting to go in a 26mm radiator hose, that I can install a temp sender into. The 340 has a bypass hose, 1" ID, that this might fit into. There are no extra threaded holes on the intake.

We'll see how this goes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	339.3 KB
ID:	1265148
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

I used an external Walbro, since the 65 had a brand spankin new tank, and I didn't have $600 for an EFI ready tank. Stuck it lower than the the tank, back by the sender, and ran hard line up front along the passenger side. That piece should work for the temp sender, be aware that the sensor that came with my unit read cold, so it never got warm enough to not be on enrichment. A GM piece fixed it , easy to find the part number to replace it if yours reads cold too. Got a link to that? Because my dad's 426 wedge has the tiny one and no way to put a gauge in it, thing is always running hot.

Comment

The 426 does not use the bypass hose. I think he'd be better off getting a different water pump housing, that's where the big block Mopar temp sender goes, and they make aftermarket aluminum housings with an extra hole
      My fabulous web page

Comment

Nice will be following want to try a holley . The brand you have internet rep for customer service and tech help seems to be subject

Comment

Yes, there are folks who've had trouble with them. But it was free. If I end up putting a different system on it, I can use the same tank and pump. I could even use them with the carb, and it would fix the main issue we're having with the car

My fabulous web page

Comment

I had no problems with FiTech, but also I know its a small company, I am patient, and I kinda know what I am doing too, so the calls were quick and when I had to return it for no tach signal, I got another one back in a week. Never had the problem again.

Comment

I've used a few Fitech units and the only problems I ever had were with their Fuel Pump Command Center, other than that they always turned out well. The only way I do EFI conversions is to use a in tank fuel pump. Could you just drill and tap the intake for the sender, although a fresh water pump is never a bad idea.
              2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
              2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
              all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

The intake is kind of thin (cast iron) and also it's an original 1970 340 part. I really don't want to drill it. There's no boss to drill.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by prostreet34 View Post
                  I've used a few Fitech units and the only problems I ever had were with their Fuel Pump Command Center, other than that they always turned out well. The only way I do EFI conversions is to use a in tank fuel pump. Could you just drill and tap the intake for the sender, although a fresh water pump is never a bad idea.
                  I've used them all, none are perfect.. I like FiTech because I can chant "it cost me less" while I'm fixing it.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'M INTERESTED In if these units have the same issues most tbi vehicles have of injectors sticking closed from sitting when not used for a season. The oem injectors did it the older holley tbi systems from yhe late 90s did it You had to hit yhe injectors with a tricle charger . To grt them to undtick then they be fine . But if you parked the vehicle forr months you had to unstick the injectors first or it not start

Comment

The fitech has 8 port type injectors, not two big TBI injectors. So that's different.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                        I'M INTERESTED In if these units have the same issues most tbi vehicles have of injectors sticking closed from sitting when not used for a season. The oem injectors did it the older holley tbi systems from yhe late 90s did it You had to hit yhe injectors with a tricle charger . To grt them to undtick then they be fine . But if you parked the vehicle forr months you had to unstick the injectors first or it not start
                        do you have a lot of ethanol in your fuel?

Comment

The new fuel system requirements are the hardest part of an EFI upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                            The new fuel system requirements are the hardest part of an EFI upgrade.
                            let me make it easy. 45# for everything that isn't a TBI, 11# for that.

Comment

This one takes 60 psi. But I think he meant that meeting the requirements is the hardest part....knowing them isn't so hard, if you can read the directions..
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Working...
                              X