Putting EFI on my wife's Dart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    The fitech has 8 port type injectors, not two big TBI injectors. So that's different.
    8 injectors is this a dual quad set up?

Comment

random internet picture of one pulled apart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	inj.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	1265323
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Intrresting

Comment

I think he meant that meeting the requirements is the hardest part.
          Correct.

Comment

Technology is great at times , but as i surf the site and web . The tablrt that ii only use when traveling is trying to do 18 months of updates. More my fault than the technology's. But , lol. It started with them yesterday thought itvwas done . Nope more now. Note to self. Turn on taplet before trip and have it do it's thing. On that note , you've had this for a year is there any firmware updates for it the efi

Comment

Technology is great at times , but as i surf the site and web . The tablrt that ii only use when traveling is trying to do 18 months of up dates. More my fault than the technology's. But , lol. It started with them yesterday thought itvwas done . Nope more now. Note ...to self. Turn on taplet before trip and have it do it's thing. On that note , you've had this for a year is there any firmware updates for it the efi

Comment

I haven't looked into the software end of it yet....good point.

I finally made the move to windows 10 on my laptop last year, and am now in the habit of turning it on and getting it ready a day ahead of time. At least it now has the feature that you can turn off updates for a little while.
                My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  I'M INTERESTED In if these units have the same issues most tbi vehicles have of injectors sticking closed from sitting when not used for a season. The oem injectors did it the older holley tbi systems from yhe late 90s did it You had to hit yhe injectors with a tricle charger . To grt them to undtick then they be fine . But if you parked the vehicle forr months you had to unstick the injectors first or it not start
                  My FiTech sat from October to May for two years, nothing stuck on it. Ran it on E85 and E10, no problems there either. The Holley I had on the GTO before I put the FiTech on it didn't want to run with pump gas after it sat for two weeks, with a new tank, new lines, you know, the whole frame off on the rusty pos thing that was the 65 GTO so it was all new. Now the unit has been on the shelf for nearly a year, in July it will be a year. Its going on something else, probably a 12:1 compression 400 running E85, or maybe the 461 that can run 93 or E85 thats in the '68 LeMans, haven't decided yet. the GTO is going to Tri Power most likely, if I can find the small base center carb. Right now its testing Qjets.

So if its stuck or something, I will find out in a month or so. Running for three summers, then sitting on a shelf for a year, then going back on an engine is a decent test.

The way I test all of this stuff is to treat it poorly, just park it in October, pull the battery and walk away. I do absolutely nothing special, and I treat them like beaters. I can fix about anything, so if it breaks I find what causes it, but if it doesn't break then its not a problem. If there is going to be a problem from seasonal use, I am gonna find it. If there is a problem with fuel, I am going to find that too. I change the oil every spring, but I don't even keep them clean when testing longevity. Worst case scenario, like someone who has no clue about cars running it, except I fix it when it actually breaks instead of just throwing more oil at it, driving it with grinding brakes, or something.

I want to get a Sniper and see how that does. One of the 4500 base units would be cool too, since I have an engine with one of those that actually needs a Dominator. I hear bad stuff about all of them, but more people have no or very minor problems. If you get it free or dirt cheap, what are you out by using it and it doesn't work? Some time? Most of the problems are with installation, exhaust leaks ahead of the O2, or people who should not be messing with it actually messing with it. the fuel system thing, well the idea of a surge tank and two pumps just doesn't sound right to me. One pump, in the tank, or lower than the tank but close to it, is the way to go.

Lastly pump gas goes bad, ethanol doesn't. Additives leave stuff behind, ethanol doesn't. Look in an empty vodka or whiskey bottle and see if there is a residue. Same substance, and it doesn't "go bad" as long as you keep it out of direct sunlight. Ethanol doesn't tear up or eat parts made since 1983, additives and gasoline components can though. I am not the only one to find this.

Hi, I was wondering if you could help answer a few questions and doubts I have about moving forward with my E85 build. I know there’s a lot of hype …

Comment

Does ethanol absorb moisture, if left in a vented container?

My fabulous web page

Comment

I believe so. But that is only if it doesn't evaporate first

Comment

It has to have some to absorb. Humidity in the air is the only place its going to get water, a closed jug of fuel isn't going to conjure water. Whiskey in the barrel and vodka in the bottle do not lower their proof over time provided they are closed, right? You have to add water to it. If there is no air moving through it, like with a wide enough heat cycle range to cause condensation, its not going to affect it much if at all.

For it to be a problem, the fuel would have to absorb between three and five gallons of water in a ten gallon tank, and you can still run it as a fuel, but its not as efficient or fun. The only way you are going to get that much water in it is if you are driving around in (not on) a lake, you put a garden hose in there, or something of that nature. How long does it take for a dehumidifier to make a gallon of water? And that is with a fan pushing humid air through it.

I have had zero problems with water, corrosion, etc, with any of my fuel systems running high % ethanol. I am less than fastidious about closing the barrels tightly and the '65 GTO has a vented tank that splashes fuel on the license plate when I stomp the throttle. So its essentially open to the atmosphere, but not a lot of air movement from out to in.

I've left a 5 gallon jug of fuel open a bit over a full year so it can breathe, but you lose more to evaporation than it absorbs water.

Comment

I have heard some people put a ball valve on the vent to close off the tank for longer storage.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Yes, there are folks who've had trouble with them. But it was free. If I end up putting a different system on it, I can use the same tank and pump. I could even use them with the carb, and it would fix the main issue we're having with the car

I won a Holley Avenger EFI on Power Tour in 2010. Avenger is basically a GM TBI system with the injectors on top of the throttle body. Had many issues with it for the next 3 years, till I contacted Hot Rod and they did a Hot Rod to the Rescue( April 2014 issue). Changed fuel tank, fuel lines, Valve springs, computer and injectors, among other things. Thought we had it fixed, till I tried to get to HRPT in 2014, and the whole system crashed on the way to Concord. Managed to get a ride to Concord and went to the Holley trailer to figure out what to do next. After seeing the HRM issue, they agreed to either fix or replace the system. I had to get the car to the next venue where the Holley techs told me to remove the old system, and they replaced it with the then new Terminator System, which worked flawlessly until last spring. Holley has since replaced the computer and the throttle body, and I am hoping this year will again be trouble free. This computer stuff is great as long as it is working properly, but is a great PITA when it doesn't, and a guy like me has no idea how to fix it! Holley did a great job of trying to help, and replacing parts, considering I won the kit to start with! When it is working, the car is much more pleasurable to drive!!
                            Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                            Gregg and Deb Miller
                            Verona, Wi.

Comment

That sounds like a lot of trouble...I think I would have put a carb back on it a long time ago!

Anyways...throttle body on, I had to make an adapter for the throttle arm, and I got the coolant sensor installed in the bypass hose. O2 sensor is in the exhaust pipe. I installed the pump and sender in the new fuel tank, still need to run the fuel lines and wires to it, and install it in the car.

Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	1265831
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X