NASCAR controls all

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASCAR controls all

Just push the pedals and turn the wheel, NASCAR will decide the rest.

My hobby is needing a hobby.

What if the gaming crowd like this and then they goto a live , at a track race.. marketing is marketing , no matter how you get to them

Comment

I subscribed to iRacing some years ago before I was going to drive Red at Road Atlanta. I wanted to get as many laps in on that track before I got there. I even got the flimsy pedals and the steering wheel which I mounted to a TV dinner table. Don't go full lock hard in that tight corner or the table will tip over.

I wouldn't know if that did any good until I actually got there. Visually, having driven the virtual track was a genuine advantage. But the game can't provide the sounds and smells and the wind through the windows and most of all the lateral G forces.

One thing on the e-game, it was like they had put some ice in turn 7, the tightest and slowest turn on the road course. It dumps out onto the mile-long straightaway. That's just unrealistic, there's no way my car is going to spin out that easily in that corner. And when I got there it didn't spin out right there but there were skid marks in that corner leading over to the wall. I don't mean a few skid marks, I mean dozens of them all on top of one another. I had to walk around in the paddock area asking why so many cars hit the INSIDE wall leaving turn 7. The answer was that the drivers in really hot cars turning a really hot lap, if they go full throttle 0.2 seconds too soon leaving that corner with all the weight leaning on the outside of the suspension with the wheels turned sharp, they shoot right over there into the wall and they all hit it in the same spot.

Rock, that Projects Cars game on Xbox that you recommended is a hoot! Man is that Daytona road course realistic. That's another one I drove on in real life and I can go back there anytime I want to. I like setting the competitor level to rookie so I can pass them all. But by now the video card has a glitch in it. It still plays but glitch skip glitch glitch. It's a time bomb they install in game boxes so you have to go buy the latest new one. I had one before this one that timed out too, it got to where it would only play in black and white.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
        I subscribed to iRacing some years ago before I was going to drive Red at Road Atlanta. I wanted to get as many laps in on that track before I got there. I even got the flimsy pedals and the steering wheel which I mounted to a TV dinner table. Don't go full lock hard in that tight corner or the table will tip over.

I wouldn't know if that did any good until I actually got there. Visually, having driven the virtual track was a genuine advantage. But the game can't provide the sounds and smells and the wind through the windows and most of all the lateral G forces.

One thing on the e-game, it was like they had put some ice in turn 7, the tightest and slowest turn on the road course. It dumps out onto the mile-long straightaway. That's just unrealistic, there's no way my car is going to spin out that easily in that corner. And when I got there it didn't spin out right there but there were skid marks in that corner leading over to the wall. I don't mean a few skid marks, I mean dozens of them all on top of one another. I had to walk around in the paddock area asking why so many cars hit the INSIDE wall leaving turn 7. The answer was that the drivers in really hot cars turning a really hot lap, if they go full throttle 0.2 seconds too soon leaving that corner with all the weight leaning on the outside of the suspension with the wheels turned sharp, they shoot right over there into the wall and they all hit it in the same spot.

Rock, that Projects Cars game on Xbox that you recommended is a hoot! Man is that Daytona road course realistic. That's another one I drove on in real life and I can go back there anytime I want to. I like setting the competitor level to rookie so I can pass them all. But by now the video card has a glitch in it. It still plays but glitch skip glitch glitch. It's a time bomb they install in game boxes so you have to go buy the latest new one. I had one before this one that timed out too, it got to where it would only play in black and white.
        That is cool. But have you seen some of the pro racers iracing setups ? Iirc a few have stated that thier set up are north of 50 grand. Other yhan the air flow ,wind noise feel , it is said to be like being in the real race car.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post

That is cool. But have you seen some of the pro racers iracing setups ? Iirc a few have stated that thier set up are north of 50 grand. Other yhan the air flow ,wind noise feel , it is said to be like being in the real race car.
          Yeah, I've heard lots of them use it for practice and I'll bet that is very legit on the big roundy round tracks. But on a road course, weight transfer on the chassis in the corners is everything and you can only get that on the track.

I was watching a race on TV at Road Atlanta a year or two ago and wow - look at that. They've paved over that dip in the left side of the track going down into turn 12, the scariest right-hand turn in North America. Coming down that monster hill into 12 you're staring straight at the wall you'll hit if you miss the corner. It was timing, when you hit that dip with the left wheels TURN. The dip made the car sit down on the springs on the left side and planted the car to go through there carrying speed. The fastest I was ever brave enough to go through there was about 85 mph, and the real racers do it way above 100.

At Atlanta Motorsports Park they have a carousel turn. An instructor there told me about throttle steering. You've got the wheels turned for the forever-curve but the front end is plowing, the car is still going straight. The instinct is to let out of it so the front wheels will plant. Counter-intuitive to that is romping the throttle in that condition, and the car will steer. Throttle makes the rear heavier. I was never brave enough to toy with that very much because I had to drive the car back home.

All that to say they'll never have all of that in e-racing. But there's enough there to make your brain think you're doing it at a tiny fraction of the cost.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
          X