Transmission dip stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission dip stick

Exactly who Decided we didn't need them anymore and where do they live. I could fill up pages with anger!! Feel free to rant with me cause I'm P#$$*&.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

You obviously have a car or truck that's too new....ours all have them.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I could be wrong. But , with people being brain dead and the factories warranting vehicles to 100k or more. They rather you, not be the one putting fluid into it.
      I wonder just how many warranty transmission work has been done from owners putting the wrong fluid in. Or putting motor oil in it.
      The cost savings is a bonus I'm sure.
      The manufacturers would rather you never opened the hood. Picking the correct guild and putting just the correct amount. Is too much for many, the factories know this and would bolt the hood closed if they legally could

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        You obviously have a car or truck that's too new....ours all have them.
        I do, my 11 SS, everything else I have does. What has me riled up is I just swapped an automatic in my brothers 08 R/T Charger, it HAS A DIP STICK TUBE BUT KNOW STICK!! And just as bad it had 12 bolts...12 in the bell housing and three different sizes. I just don't get it, we have had 6 forever unless you had a scatter shield.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
          I could be wrong. But , with people being brain dead and the factories warranting vehicles to 100k or more. They rather you, not be the one putting fluid into it.
          I wonder just how many warranty transmission work has been done from owners putting the wrong fluid in. Or putting motor oil in it.
          The cost savings is a bonus I'm sure.
          The manufacturers would rather you never opened the hood. Picking the correct guild and putting just the correct amount. Is too much for many, the factories know this and would bolt the hood closed if they legally could
          I know a young man who really didn't know about cars because his dad didn't. Dad has left the picture by way of suicide. Kid buys a 2015 camaro and doesn't know how to change oil . But since he's best frinds with a kid who's dad is a car guy , he enlists my youngest to help . So they take out the drain plug and drain the car , then they change the filter and put the oil in the engine . Next day the owner calls my son and says the car is making some weird noises and is viberating and parks the car in the garage. Thankfully . So now really busy me has to go from the south side to the north side of town . About 45 mins. I get there and find hardly any fluid in the trans and twice as much oul in the motor . I fixed it but then a few months goes by and its time for another oil change . So the first kid says to my kid , can you help me I'll pay you figuring my kid knows how to do it now. I find out about it and tell my kid , when you can afford to buy him another motor , that's when you can help him again . I also told the kids mom . These two geniuses have no business working on cars together . Unless they have a bonafide car guy with them . And I don't have that kind of time . I can only try to fix one of them .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

We all have Classic (excuse the pun)
            "Dipstick" Idiots on a DIY simple maintenance Horror Stories.........
            But how can Millennial's go wrong?!!!
            Every one of them are given a Iphone at birth,
            There's YouTube tutorials on everything !

Comment

It's all part of the dumbing down of america. Let's not teach the kids in school the basics of life, or auto shop or at least cover it in Driver's Ed like they did the girls when I was in school.

Comment

Perry. In derby, a dipstick and tube can get smashed, so our trannys have a retro which involves taping the tranny case and putting a fitting in that stays with a cap with a tiny dipstick on it, will show full not low. Have a hole in the floor to check thru then the cap must be on before shutting off or most of the fluid runs out... A derby driver was lamenting the same as you about lack of dipstick on his son's Suzuki

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                  I know a young man who really didn't know about cars because his dad didn't. Dad has left the picture by way of suicide. Kid buys a 2015 camaro and doesn't know how to change oil . But since he's best frinds with a kid who's dad is a car guy , he enlists my youngest to help . So they take out the drain plug and drain the car , then they change the filter and put the oil in the engine . Next day the owner calls my son and says the car is making some weird noises and is viberating and parks the car in the garage. Thankfully . So now really busy me has to go from the south side to the north side of town . About 45 mins. I get there and find hardly any fluid in the trans and twice as much oul in the motor . I fixed it but then a few months goes by and its time for another oil change . So the first kid says to my kid , can you help me I'll pay you figuring my kid knows how to do it now. I find out about it and tell my kid , when you can afford to buy him another motor , that's when you can help him again . I also told the kids mom . These two geniuses have no business working on cars together . Unless they have a bonafide car guy with them . And I don't have that kind of time . I can only try to fix one of them .
                  Maybe his mom can buy him a manual . Do they print them for late models . ? At least the kid wants to learn am
                  nd do it himself. He gets points for that.
                  i learned on cheap beaters so if i screwedvup (and i did more than a few times) itvwas cheap to fix the mistake or just save for the next beater. .
                  i think someone should bring up amazon and the manual for his camaro. And tell the kid click buy now. Sems he has the will to try and learn ,just needs direction . A manual for his car might be the e-ticket ( yup i use an 80s phase ). We all learned ,starting from knowing nada.

Comment

I got to ask did manual transmissions ever have a dipstick? Or has it always been a pipe type plug on the case? If so, why folks up in arms over them moving to the same pipe type plug to fill and check fluid. If clearly was never an issue if you had a manual.
                    tooday the fuild goes 100k. So service is even less than a manual would be. Plus today you have warning sensors that you didnt years ago.
                    thought of this while on hold for airlines. But I've never seen a manual transmission with a dipstick, and now curious if they ever did

Comment

Gear grease is waaay different than ATF. Plus it is only a lubricant, not a hydraulic medium. Much less chance for leaks, evaporation or deterioration.
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                        I got to ask did manual transmissions ever have a dipstick? Or has it always been a pipe type plug on the case? If so, why folks up in arms over them moving to the same pipe type plug to fill and check fluid. If clearly was never an issue if you had a manual.
                        tooday the fuild goes 100k. So service is even less than a manual would be. Plus today you have warning sensors that you didnt years ago.
                        thought of this while on hold for airlines. But I've never seen a manual transmission with a dipstick, and now curious if they ever did
                        yeah this.

My Colorado doesn't have one, I don't care, it will likely last as long as the engine (maybe even more).... one less service thing shows how far technology has come.... though I do wonder if those same people complained when ignition timing was taken off the steering wheel....
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Some Harley people swear by changing their fork oil.
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

The main complaint was and maybe I should have been more clear is, unlike my 11 SS which has a filler plug ( no DP ) and a overfill plug to check correct level, the Charger HAS a dip stick tube without a dip stick. You have to buy a special tool to insert in the tube for correct level. Why not just leave in the dipstick.

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                              ... the Charger HAS a dip stick tube without a dip stick.
                              Perry - OH YES IT DOES - the driver/owner

Comment

Working...
                              X