How I spent my COVID19 vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I spent my COVID19 vacation

Howdy, folks. I figured I'd drop in and say hello. I know it's been awhile, but I've been busy doing stuff in the garage and at the shop. I figured I'd share what has been going on in my garage since the corona virus shutdown and how I've been spending my "social distancing" time.

Long story short, the lack of zinc in today's oil killed the camshaft in my good 440. Thank you EPA.... UGH! However, I have a spare engine to run while I rebuild the good engine (this time, it will have a hydraulic roller cam) and have something to tool around with until I can put the big bullet back in. Unfortunately, the spare engine is a cast crank unit, not a forged crank piece. My Road Runner is equipped with a New Process A-833 transmission. Most all big block Mopars equipped with manual transmissions were also equipped with forged cranks. These engines were internally balanced. Cast Mopar B and RB engines are externally balanced and require a balanced flywheel. As I did not have a flywheel for a cast crank engine, concessions needed to be made.

Thankfully, McCleod offfers a solution. They make a flywheel that is neutrally balanced and can be fitted with a balance weight kit that will balance the flywheel to pretty much any A, LA, B, RB or Magnum application with a six-bolt crankshaft. Pretty cool, right? I thought so, too. So, I bought one for my 440. These flywheels are a bit smaller than the original 143 tooth piece that used an 11" clutch. The new 130-tooth plate supports 10.5" clutches, so I bought a new Ram semi-metallic clutch to go with the McCleod flywheel. Thinking into the future, this flywheel and clutch can be used on the internally balanced 440 simply by removing the balance weights. So far, so good.

Long ago, I purchased a used Lakewood scattershield and block saver for the Road Runner. They fit and worked great with the 143-tooth flywheel and an 11' clutch. Eventually I outfitted it with a Powermaster mini-starter. The entire combination was perfect and I had zero issues with it. The Lakewood bellhousing is set up with two starter mounting locations to accommodate both the larger 143-tooth unit and the smaller 130-tooth wheel. The starter location for the 143-tooth wheel is in the perfect location. However, the location for the 130-tooth flywheel is whacked. It doesn't line up with the starter OR the flywheel. A lot or research revealed that the Lakewood solution was to offer an adapter kit to relocate the starter. The kit is no longer available from Lakewood, separately, so I had to make one out of spare parts. Thankfully, every thing appears to be in proper working order and I was able to bolt everything together and drop it into the car.

I've got just about everything ready to fire up the engine and break in the cam aside from some wiring and break-in oil. I'm hoping to have it all up and running in the next week or two.

Click image for larger version

Name:	89245418_647808482661200_7800297531711160320_n.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	1266276Click image for larger version

Name:	89497979_808985562919127_3274374386617942016_n.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	695.1 KB
ID:	1266278Click image for larger version

Name:	carb.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	1266282Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter1 layout.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	1266281Click image for larger version

Name:	89559896_1742069832649031_6515688683381719040_n.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	1266280Click image for larger version

Name:	89255370_1716295458512143_6431444433174003712_n.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	178.2 KB
ID:	1266279Click image for larger version

Name:	90045381_192550748828214_1095085964625182720_n.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	592.6 KB
ID:	1266277
    Attached Files
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

AWESOME! I'm spending mine in a similar fashion, but really this is no different from any other day for me... other than the place I get dog food has you call ahead then they throw it in the trunk for you and they close at 5pm. Im still attending the Cars Under Snow Show for a few more weeks.

Also, thank you for reminding me why I love Pontiac engines so much, same flexplate/flywheel, damn near everything interchanges, so its easy to get stuff. I still want a Satellite or Road Runner like that, gutted, RB, dual quads on a blower, you know practical daily driver stuff.

Comment

Love your RR, Ron! Had a '68 and 2 '70s and loved them. Sorry the oil got you. I usually run Rotella in anything with a flat tappet cam as it has a bit of zinc and I'll add a can of GM EOS at least on startup of a fresh engine. FYI - the reason to remove the zinc is that it poisons catalytic converters so it wasn't an arbitrary decision.

As far as our Covid 19 vacay...... That's pretty much every day for us. ME is missing her church stuff and her classes though they're doing some of the school stuff online (she takes drawing and music at our community college). Sometimes I do stuff in the shop and sometimes I goof off. If there's any shopping to do I usually do it though ME DID harvest a load of TP from Costco.

Dan

Comment

Cool stuff Ron, glad to see you're still hanging in there.

I don't get a Covid19 vacation. Our company is deemed an essential business and all 3 locations are staying open.
        We do work for the BIG metal mills that produce a lot of the raw materials we use in this country.

About toilet paper...

Toilet paper sells out the second it hits the stores, and has for the last month. So.., I took a different approach.. Office buildings and restaurants are closed in Ohio until further notice, and now there's an abundance of industrial strength commercial toilet paper. I ordered a case of 12 jumbo rolls for $60 shipped which is expensive, but we needed it. My father in law just came back from snowbirding in FL, he had 3 rolls of toilet paper left and couldn't find any in the stores. My mother in law was in the same boat, she had 1 roll. I literally and figuratively saved their asses lol!

Name:	tp.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	1266298

It's single ply, but hey,. it beats not having any...

And Dan, don't get me started on Costco and toilet paper.. Wife and I were at Costco a week before the toilet paper famine.
        I had a gigantic bag of Charmin in my hands and I put it back because I insisted that "we were ok on toilet paper until next week"... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Comment

Tardis.. Tp and tylenol.. Shop 30 miles away, need to make sure there is room in the car, "I'll get it locally". Yup CCP FLU struck.. We are good now..

Comment

Ron, sweet Mope.

Comment

Hi Ron! Looks good.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

And Dan, don't get me started on Costco and toilet paper.. Wife and I were at Costco a week before the toilet paper famine.
                I had a gigantic bag of Charmin in my hands and I put it back because I insisted that "we were ok on toilet paper until next week"... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
                We did EXACTLY the same thing! Storing that bale of TP is a major issue though had we known we would have worked it out. The previous bale was taking up the designated spot though it was down to the last 6 pack in the bale.

Dan

Comment

Nice car how long have you had it ?
                  At least someone is getting some us out of this shut down.
                  Sorry about the cam taking out your engine .
                  Should be a warning to others . Or at least a caution .

Comment

Eric - Here in the US the EPA required the removal of zinc (actually, ZDDP which is a zinc bearing compound) from motor oil some time ago. As I mentioned, the zinc was working its way thru engines (ring leaks, valve guides, etc) and even in small quantities it ruined catalytic converters. Engines with roller cams were able to live without the zinc and flat tappet cam engines that are well broken in do OK (not great but OK). Especially with a fairly new rebuild the point pressure of a flat tappet on the cam lobe would lead to destruction of the cam/lifter interface. The best way around this is to add back zinc to the oil - GM Engine Oil Supplement (EOS) was formulated to solve this. The other solution, of course, is to go with a roller cam and roller lifters. It is an ongoing issue here in the US and maybe in other parts of the world, too.

Forgive me if you already knew all this but I try not to assume that folks from other countries know what we know or have the same issues we have.

Dan

Comment

Dan won't all the detergents they put in today's oils just wash the zinc additive off as fast as it was sticking to parts ? Wouldn't you have to use non detergent oil or low detergent oil?

Comment

Name:	IMG_20200327_182246760.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	1266391 me and my co-pilot are running back roads.
                        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                          Dan won't all the detergents they put in today's oils just wash the zinc additive off as fast as it was sticking to parts ? Wouldn't you have to use non detergent oil or low detergent oil?
                          The modern synthetic oils are really clean without so much additive detergents so it keeps getting better and better. Some progress actually takes us forward!! I'm not a chemist but evidently the detergent system on the older oils will let the zinc stay there and do its job. I ran flat tappet cams a few years back in my Camaro (250 CI inline six) and the Rotella T and GM EOS did the trick even with the cheap Delta cams I was running. BTW - there are also racing oils out there with zinc in them and some folks run that. I think it's allowed to be sold for off road use (racing, etc.).

Dan

Comment

Its been rain for 2 days.....some deluges....
                            Been lazily doing Domestic Duties and cleaning the house, dusting is not a priority for me, so finally started on the north end with rags and a can of Pledge headed to the other end of the house.
                            Tomorrow, back out to the shop for the little "Fixits" list on the Shaggin Wagon and Timber Cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                              Nice car how long have you had it ?
                              I dragged this hulk home on Mothers Day in 1986.

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
                              X