No announcement yet.

How I spent my COVID19 vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SO good to hear from you, Dave! Folks - Dave is probably the finest engineer I ever worked with. He had hands-on machine shop experience before he went back to school to get his degree so he actually knows how to make stuff as well as design and install it.

Dave - my LSR vehicle is Mutt the Race Truck, a 1985 S-10 with an '85 Mercedes 5 cylinder Diesel and a Getrag 4 speed. There's a build thread in Project Cars ifn you want to check it out. I ran an inline 6 Camaro for a while but have had Mutt for several years now, long enough to hone it to 136.2MPH.

Post up that pic if you can! I don't have any shots of that experience. I've told the story on here so folks who have been on here for a while know my tale of daring-do.

Good to hear that you and Maggie are getting along. Are you still working of have you joined me in the world of the deadbeat? Er - actively unemployed........

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; April 6, 2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

BREAKING NEWS !!

In my Shop Clean Up while Sheltering in Place....
      Hit the Mother Lode !! Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1334.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	1267013

LOOKIE WHAT I FOUND under a box of Samurai Parts !!!!

Comment

Still working. probably until July, unless this work from home stuff continues. Heck this last3 weeks has been as good as retired. Oneof these days we need to get together again. Last timeI spoke with Norm, it had to do with one of Hot Rods rescue stories. He and Marlan contacted me one night to see if I could help make connections here in the capital district, but to no avail. Turned out the car was in sunny California.
        Still working on a Mini. Got a new short block, aluminum race head, just have to get it assembled. Maybe this year. Also working on something as yet undefined, to use up all those old race car parts I've been dragging around for 40 years. Got a 327, Hilborns, made a tube front axle and hairpins, rebuilt a Winters qc, picked up a shortened T10 (no reverse, came out of a drag car), left over 2x3 from that trailer you helped me make, and the best part, my old Shroeder champ car steering box.

Comment

Things are getting serious.... got rescheduled to work every other workday for the next 2 months.... the other days I am on administrative leave....guess that I am lucky to be working for the U S of A.... my old jobs are cutting down to skeleton crews....with furloughs....
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
            Things are getting serious.... got rescheduled to work every other workday for the next 2 months.... the other days I am on administrative leave....guess that I am lucky to be working for the U S of A.... my old jobs are cutting down to skeleton crews....with furloughs....
            Hang in there, Patrick, this too, shall pass, eventually. I am retired, but deliver Parts for a local Auto parts house 3 days a week. We're considered "essential". not sure if thats good or bad?
            Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
            Gregg and Deb Miller
            Verona, Wi.

Comment

anyone who knows Buick, knows this is him in a nutshell....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                Still working. probably until July, unless this work from home stuff continues. Heck this last3 weeks has been as good as retired. Oneof these days we need to get together again. Last timeI spoke with Norm, it had to do with one of Hot Rods rescue stories. He and Marlan contacted me one night to see if I could help make connections here in the capital district, but to no avail. Turned out the car was in sunny California.
                Still working on a Mini. Got a new short block, aluminum race head, just have to get it assembled. Maybe this year. Also working on something as yet undefined, to use up all those old race car parts I've been dragging around for 40 years. Got a 327, Hilborns, made a tube front axle and hairpins, rebuilt a Winters qc, picked up a shortened T10 (no reverse, came out of a drag car), left over 2x3 from that trailer you helped me make, and the best part, my old Shroeder champ car steering box.
                Good to know you're still chuggin'. Sent a reply to your message.

BTW - I have the excuse of being old but I sign my Emails as if each was a letter. The youngun's sometimes tease me about it.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

BTW - I have the excuse of being old but I sign my Emails as if each was a letter. The youngun's sometimes tease me about it.

Dan
                  Dan, I never sign any of my messages.

peewee

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Nice to see Peewee is still in the house and healthy. Good to see ya, man!
                    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Well teleconferencing is sure boring, especially when the topic is ARB regs. You never know what's next for me. Spent time in my shop getting an old chainsaw running. Got some trees in the back yard that need to become firewood. Setting up the shop to start on a car of some sort. Not defined yet. Also working on redesigning the rollcage in my latest Mini. It's a real one, not the BMW thing. Romping stomping 1275 cc's of raging horsepower. Well maybe 130 or so. It's available if someone wants to take it off of my hands and finish it. Unique street car if put back to somewhat original. Oh well I'm probably stuck with it.

Comment

Day 5 of the shop cleaning, there has been a half step included in the process slowing me down. I have uncovered many half done projects, or finally found the parts for another.
                        So instead of setting them aside or starting a new group pile only to be buried and forgotten AGAIN, I have been completing these.
                        And it has been Good to take a Break from Cleaning and work on a short project, then go digging through more boxes and totes.
                        Oh I'm GOOD on Ford rotors, caps, points, and condensors!! They must have been BREEDING in there !!! LOL
                        Last edited by Captain; April 8, 2020, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                          Well teleconferencing is sure boring, especially when the topic is ARB regs. You never know what's next for me. Spent time in my shop getting an old chainsaw running. Got some trees in the back yard that need to become firewood. Setting up the shop to start on a car of some sort. Not defined yet. Also working on redesigning the rollcage in my latest Mini. It's a real one, not the BMW thing. Romping stomping 1275 cc's of raging horsepower. Well maybe 130 or so. It's available if someone wants to take it off of my hands and finish it. Unique street car if put back to somewhat original. Oh well I'm probably stuck with it.
                          Somehow I can't imagine you without a Mini. I'm nibbling away at the Volvo project and installation of the new Turbo on Mutt. I'll post in Project Cars as I get stuff done.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Somehow I can't imagine you without a Mini.

Dan
                            In retrospect, I'm sure the most enjoyable part of going to autocross events was watching the Minis devour all of the Corvettes through the cones. I'm sure I've told and re-told the story here about the day Team Ferrari showed up at the mall parking lot, pre-certain to set a course record. That was frickin hilarious was what it was.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

In retrospect, I'm sure the most enjoyable part of going to autocross events was watching the Minis devour all of the Corvettes through the cones. I'm sure I've told and re-told the story here about the day Team Ferrari showed up at the mall parking lot, pre-certain to set a course record. That was frickin hilarious was what it was.
                              I go Off Roading in a Suzuki Samurai, even stole a window sticker saying off a Mini...."Actual Size" for on it.
                              I've been Chided showing up in the paddock area, "AND What ARE you GOING to DO with That LITTLE THING?".......
                              My Standard Reply......"Don't let me be the "Point Man" !!
                              Being SMALL and Light means being Nimble !! Classic was showing up a Whole Bunch of High Rize and HIGH DOLLAR BUILD Jeeps at Jeep Blitz in Bushnell, Illinois...

Comment

I never got ftd, but it was fun embarrassing Corvettes. Once in Michigan the Corvette club was the sponsor club. The event was at a GM plant parking lot which was huge. Iwas helping set up cones and was asked if I would like to be the prerunner. Yes of course. First time I did that and should have sandbagged. Only time I ever saw 4th gear. The chicane was laid out for Vettes, big tanks of cars, not Minis which could go straight through without weaving. And yes they redid the layout to slow the 2 or 3 tiny cars down. And yes I still got high gear. 1275 engine was pantingon that day after every run.

Comment

Working...
                                X