Studebakers on the Rubicon Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebakers on the Rubicon Trail

From Hemmings Daily (via the forum of the Studebaker Drivers Club)...
    Your Jeep isn't so tough....
    Studebakers were there first - several photos and article.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

I have seen these pictures previously and have been amazed when looking at these '20's era Studebakers tackling this off road challenge. I believe that this was some kind of corporate promotion.

Comment

there was a hotel - so not surprising they were on the 'trail'
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        there was a hotel - so not surprising they were on the 'trail'
        I thought there was a hotel involved in this but was not sure. Thanks for confirming this.

Comment

As I read it, this was a 'trail'. Originated as a footpath. They were going to a hotel on Lake Tahoe, but the jist of the article and discussion is that with 20s technology it was possible. Pretty interesting.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
            As I read it, this was a 'trail'. Originated as a footpath. They were going to a hotel on Lake Tahoe, but the jist of the article and discussion is that with 20s technology it was possible. Pretty interesting.
            The Rubicon started as a path to bring mail through. Then the hotel. Then the Friends of the Rubicon. Even that has a curve - the trail became increasingly difficult until California stated clamping down; now it's simply a maintained path akin to a ride at Disney.... while the river crossings were still there - it was pretty challenging. Now? Fordyce is where the wheelers go...
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
            X