No announcement yet.

Poor Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sean has been dropping trees out around his house that he bought... He has dropped probably 20 pines averaging 35 years old and is working on the soft maples...will have to hire a tree service for a few tho.... once done, a friend from my younger days(now working with Sean} will be tasked with grinding all of the stumps down... Most of the trees were within 20 feet of the house and it was getting smothered.... it never dried out after a rain or even a dewy morning...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
      Sean has been dropping trees out around his house that he bought... He has dropped probably 20 pines averaging 35 years old and is working on the soft maples...will have to hire a tree service for a few tho.... once done, a friend from my younger days(now working with Sean} will be tasked with grinding all of the stumps down... Most of the trees were within 20 feet of the house and it was getting smothered.... it never dried out after a rain or even a dewy morning...
      We deliberately bought a house with no trees. Folks thought we were nuts (your AC bills will be sky high) but we've had zero tree damage after storms. A tradeoff I'm happy to make. Sounds like Sean is headed in that direction.

Dan

Comment

So to further the ongoing home improvement theme, with those trees gone we can now all of a sudden "see" the mess that's behind the house. Eww I don't want to look at that for the rest of my life. So there goes three sweaty days just getting up all of the loose stuff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	X45.JPG Views:	0 Size:	157.2 KB ID:	1272414

Click image for larger version  Name:	X47.JPG Views:	0 Size:	182.1 KB ID:	1272415

Nobody ever told me that over 30 years' worth of pine bark was a pile two feet deep and 100 feet long. Those are 55 gallon bags piled up. Our neighbor Bob across the street asked me why I was building a wall beside the street. I added 8 or 9 more bags to it yesterday and that pile of brush further up the street is all of the stuff that wouldn't fit into a bag. Our next door neighbor had already started a pile and like Alice's Restaurant I figured that one big pile is better than two little ones.

Click image for larger version  Name:	X48.JPG Views:	0 Size:	151.5 KB ID:	1272416
        Last edited by pdub; June 17, 2020, 07:46 AM.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Found an interesting article:
          https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gar...rden%20plants.
          Pine bark can be useful as mulch!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Here's what my recalled HF jack stands turned into.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010750.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1272423

$40 with a clipped coupon. Between this and a couple gallons of RoundUp all of that stuff on the back fence is leaving. I figure if this saw peters out toward the end of this job I'll throw it away. I love what a chainsaw does but I more than "respect" one. Plus I'm too dumb to have ever learned how to sharpen the chain so that's when it gets overly dangerous. I had a real saw that finally wouldn't crank one day and I saw that as an omen and gave it to Superman. Every time I ever turned that saw off I felt like I had cheated death and dismemberment one more time.

Comment

My old Poulan hasn't run in years. I hate small engine work so I ought to take it to Honest Engine (our local small engine shop) and get it back on line. Probably needs a carb which I'm told is common on these.

Pdub - there are folks who will sharpen a chain for you for minimal $$.

Dan

Comment

Amongst the two biggest trees that Mister Tree obliterated was a pine and a hardwood that were born together on the same exact spot of ground about a hundred years ago I guess. They got along just fine and grew together and shared a trunk up to about 20 feet above the ground, where they went their separate ways. I've gotta say that sawed off giant double stump is really cool. I had no idea how useful it is until today.

Name:	P1010751.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	1272499

It's the handiest work surface ever. You can stand at the bottom of the bank and set your saw and tools up there so they don't disappear in all of the weeds and poison ivy that's up on the bank. You claw your way up the bank and work up there and I even set fat limbs across it to saw them shorter like a huge cutting board.

When I get done cutting all the scrub trees on top of the bank, I'm moving that thing into the garage. It's entirely too handy.

Comment

Can you take a picture of the top of that stump I would like to see how the two have grown together.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    Can you take a picture of the top of that stump I would like to see how the two have grown together.

Name:	P1010756.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1272546

Name:	P1010757.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	1272547

Comment

we have giant arborvitae - they can share stumps with hemlocks... eventually the cedar wins - there's a fungus that has been killing the hemlocks (and also they get root rot).... but we have stumps with trees growing out of them that are 10 feet in diameter...
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                        Here's what my recalled HF jack stands turned into.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010750.JPG Views:	49 Size:	105.1 KB ID:	1272423
                        Perfect. I "saw" the exact same thing when I turned in my recalled stands just this past weekend. And a PoulanPro. Didn't take either one home though.

My problem is I end up replacing the slow cutting factory chain with one with very small rakers (anti-kick slow-cutting parts between teeth links). And that works awesomely - until it does kick a touch, then the composite plastic drive grear strips teeth, and the show is over.

We have a 20' maple with a 20' cherry growing together like that dual stump. Thanks for sharing the picture, neat to see.

Last edited by STINEY; June 19, 2020, 08:34 AM.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I'm OK with interspecies marriage as long as both are consenting adults. At least they went to their reward together and I prefer to think that they're happy together in The Great Beyond.

Dan
                          Last edited by DanStokes; June 19, 2020, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Perfect. I "saw" the exact same thing when I turned in my recalled stands just this past weekend.
                            That thing is a great deal for a backyard hacker like me. I got my money's worth out of it yesterday as far as I'm concerned. And it's barely getting started on what it seems able to do. Hey Dan Stokes - "started." Get it?

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

That thing is a great deal for a backyard hacker like me. I got my money's worth out of it yesterday as far as I'm concerned. And it's barely getting started on what it seems able to do. Hey Dan Stokes - "started." Get it?
                              Clearly, the chips are down.

Dan

Comment

At $50 that thing is a steal. I want one even though I never even go near a tree. I guess the cord is a deterrent but I'm surprised the hasn't been an epidemic of dismemberments with chaos like that so cheap.
                                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                                X