Poor Red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    At $50 that thing is a steal. I want one even though I never even go near a tree. I guess the cord is a deterrent but I'm surprised the hasn't been an epidemic of dismemberments with chaos like that so cheap.
    It's pretty remarkable for what it doesn't cost. The first cut I made with it, it went saaaaawwwwwwwwww and it abruptly stopped. Oh no the thing broke just that quick. Nope, you have to squeeze the trigger like you really really mean it and don't ease up on it at all. Whenever it tears up I'll smile and say thanks to it for all the fun. Then I'll take it apart and use the motor for some sort of demented mischief I'll come up with. Probably just some contraption that sits on the work bench and raises off-balance hell.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

According to my marked calendar tomorrow makes 8 weeks since the tree fell on the house. The shining miracle in the whole thing is that Mister Tree came running the very next day to get the tree off of the roof and put on a tarp. And that's how it's been sitting.

It took about another week for the Like It Never Happened folks to come and do a great job cleaning up the insulation mess in the room. It took a week after that for two guys from a repair company to come and look at it. They told me it would take at least a week to generate the final estimate, maybe two weeks. Their bosses want the estimate to be perfect before the insurance company sees it. Three weeks later still no estimate so I fired them. The insurance claims handler was appalled - "You mean they STILL don't have the estimate?" So she fired that company too from their suggested list of companies.

So I called another company. He took my name and address had me send photos to an email address. He said they would send somebody out in two or three days, they'd call before they came. Six days later I called them and got the exact same guy on the phone. He didn't even know who I was, wanted me to tell him my name and my address again. I said never mind.

So Unit called a plumber we've used a couple times to ask for any references if he had any. Well, he sure did. This morning the man came and actually inspected the wreck. He took down the plastic stapled to the ceiling on the inside of the room and he let me climb up there and look. Holy disaster Batman, this house is *&^%ed. Every rafter in that room is broken, ten of them. It'll take a week to fix it all after they get everybody together and started on it. He wanted to look at our insurance policy - ...and HOW much insurance do you have?

Wow. Note to self once again: Self, don't ever joke about a tree falling ever again.

Comment

t can be difficult to get decent workman who are both capable and who do what they say they'll do. Over the years here we have found a great HVAC guy, a guy (with crew) to do stuff like siding (he did ours), roofing and the like, a decent electrician (he wired the generator), and some other folks when needed. I handle the plumbing which I enjoy. I cherish that list!

Hope this fella comes thru as well as he started off.

Dan

Comment

Red needs some exercise. Bet he could make 160 in a mile and a half ......

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post
            Red needs some exercise. Bet he could make 160 in a mile and a half ......
            I think Red needs to show that rental Mustang what a fast cross country trip really looks like
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 30, 2020, 10:24 AM.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I think Red needs to show that rental Mustang what a fast cross country trip really looks like
              Well, the guy in the cross country article said the Mustang GT won't go faster than 158 mph no matter what anybody says. That's as factory built of course. At the wheels Red with his blower has just about the same HP as a new stock GT. So somewhere over I guess about 130 mph is when you start pushing the brick and Red made 152.8 at Arkansas with a healthy tailwind and two days of trying. But there was a red Mustang there, same model run 2005-2009, that went way over 200, so egregiously excessive highly modified fire breathing purpose built race car horsepower is the answer to that.

As for cross country competition, I would challenge the record holder to a race from our house to the local bike path in daily traffic and I'll drive Bubba the Truck with our trikes loaded on the back. Being from out of town, the record holder will have to GPS it on the primary thoroughfares and I know a nifty shortcut through a neighborhood.

Comment

Any hobby gets to the point of "Been there, done that.". I'm betting PDub will surprise the crap out of everyone with something new soon.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                  Any hobby gets to the point of "Been there, done that.". I'm betting PDub will surprise the crap out of everyone with something new soon.
                  I dunno, I would be the most surprised one of all. I get the sense that we're probably not ever even leaving town again unless it's an emergency, because of all the becauses.

Just got a good photo the contractor took when he came and actually INSPECTED the house. Nobody else ever did....plus he sent his official bid/estimate for the job which I uploaded to the insurance company. So let that game begin and we may finally get the wreck repaired before winter. This is a photo I didn't get to take before the cleanup folks covered up the hole in the ceiling. The contractor pulled down the plastic (here comes some more insulation falling) and took the shot. That tree did a number on the rafters, all of them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rafters.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1273396

Comment

BlueBelle is on probation.
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I dunno, I would be the most surprised one of all. I get the sense that we're probably not ever even leaving town again unless it's an emergency, because of all the becauses.

Just got a good photo the contractor took when he came and actually INSPECTED the house. Nobody else ever did....plus he sent his official bid/estimate for the job which I uploaded to the insurance company. So let that game begin and we may finally get the wreck repaired before winter. This is a photo I didn't get to take before the cleanup folks covered up the hole in the ceiling. The contractor pulled down the plastic (here comes some more insulation falling) and took the shot. That tree did a number on the rafters, all of them.
                      ]
                      OUCH!!!! I hate to see wood split like that. Hope they get that fixed quickly.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Name:	Rafters.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	1273396
                        Good opportunity to up the amount of insulation in there. Looks like "maybe" 3"- 4" if you think real optimistically while looking.

I'd dump in an actual 16"-18" just for starters. That's a difference you will see on your HVAC bills, no matter if heating or cooling. Not to mention the comfort level going WAY up.

Hope they take good care of you'uns.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Good opportunity to up the amount of insulation in there. Looks like "maybe" 3"- 4" if you think real optimistically while looking.

I'd dump in an actual 16"-18" just for starters. That's a difference you will see on your HVAC bills, no matter if heating or cooling. Not to mention the comfort level going WAY up.

Hope they take good care of you'uns.
                          One of the many things on our list. For now we have enough HVAC to make up for the lack of insulation but clearly that's not the best solution.

Dan

Comment

WOW! A tree hit your house must have been a really bad storm.
                            Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                            The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                              WOW! A tree hit your house must have been a really bad storm.
                              No Dave, it was the calmest darkest night of the year. That oldest deadest pine tree back there had grown heavy on the sun side in its lifetime and 100+ years later when it finally succumbed to gravity our house got right in the way.

About two months later ( as in, sometime way last week) a man actually came and looked at it for pricing. All of those types of folks in this area have way more work than they need because of the tornado that came through Chattanooga I think around Easter weekend. They're covered up and they really don't have a "hurry" endorphin happening when they get a call about a new job. He came out and said he would assemble a small collection of craftsmen to fix it all. One team for the roof, one guy gutters, one guy siding and inside finishing work.

I got the total bid on Tuesday (5 days later than promised) and forwarded it straight to the insurance claims handler. Well, the guy who would do the finishing work bid a cool even $6,000 to put sheet rock on the ceiling and reattach the crown molding and paint one wall. The insurance lady was, shall we say, animated. The rest of the bid package was in line with fair pricing but that inside guy thought maybe nobody would actually look at his proposed windfall (pun intended).

So we're stuck in the middle of that and I'm waiting to hear something for the next year or two and in the meantime the house still looks like this:

Name:	P1010759.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	1273771

This saga is turning into a longer but more boring and less interesting story than trying to kill a rat. The insurance lady said, "I'd hate to tell you to get another bid." I said not as much as I would hate to hear you tell me to get another bid. The first bid took 2 months to get and I had to fire three companies before somebody actually came up with a bid, albeit unacceptable.

Comment

Yippee - Hooray!

Name:	P1010782.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	1276478

Comment

Working...
                                X