Edit Avatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edit Avatar

How do you edit your Avatar? I can get to it to change it (or so I think) but no matter if I'm on my phone or computer, I cannot select the "edit avatar" button

Is it locked until a post count is reached?

Thanks.
    '69 Oldsmobile 442
    '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee (wife's vehicle)
    '20 Ram 1500 BigHorn (my daily)

paging Monster
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger.
      I relatively new myself, followed the instructions, No go.
      But I blame myself, I don't have Facebook, Instagram, Tweet, etc..... to know how some of these things work.
      I'm from the "Toaster Age" One Button made things work !!

Comment

Did this a while ago ...

Originally posted by Monster View Post
        I've seen several members state that they would be interested in learning how to post pictures and/or have an avatar in their posts, so I thought I would try to help out.

PHOTO POSTING 101 COURSE
        To post pictures or setup your avatar on the forum, first you must have a photo hosting account (e.g. www.photobucket.com ), where you can download your pictures to. They are usually free accounts.

A full size image for posting in a thread should be no bigger than Large (640x480), to prevent the viewer from having to scroll across to see the right side of the picture.

Most of these sites have a resizing option that can be used appropriately for where you want to post it. On Photobucket, right below the Upload Images and Video button, is the text "Use CTRL to select multiple files (more options)", where by clicking the blue link "(more options)", you can setup the default picture size for all future uploads.
        Select Large (640x480) by clicking the associated button, then click the "SAVE" button at the bottom of the screen.

When you have an image on your hosting site and sized appropriately, then copy the URL (e.g: http://www.mypage.com/mypic.gif). In PhotoBucket, hover the curser over the picture you want to use.

A pop-up window will come up at the bottom of the picture with various types of codes.
        Move cursor down to the bottom box (IMG Code) and left click once in the white box.
        That will block (highlight) the code.
        Then copy that code (either right click and then click copy or just use CTRL+C)
        Come back to BangShift and paste the code in your new post dialog box (either right click and then click paste or just use CTRL+V).

At this stage, I will presume that you already know how to post regular pictures and how to edit and resize pictures from a photo hosting site (e.g. PhotoBucket). An avatar is only slightly different, but needs to be absolutely correct to work properly. You do not necessarily need to get a perfect 128 x 128 picture size, as the forum software will do some resizing if necessary. If the pic is not square, it will come out on the page looking squished or stretched.

An avatar image file needs to be either Tiny (100x75) or Small (160x120) and may take some experimentation to get just right.

On PhotoBucket, when you hover the curser over the picture you want to use, a pop-up window comes up at the bottom of the picture with various types of codes. Move cursor down to the second box down (Direct Link) code and left click once in the white box. That will block (highlight) the code. Then copy that code (either right click and then click copy or just use CTRL+C)

NOTE: the two major differences for the avatar from a picture are: the size and you must use the Direct Link box code in your Profile.

Next, go to the BangShift site and locate the "PROFILE" link in the red toolbar at the top of the board and left click once.

This takes you to your Profile page.
        In the "Modify Profile" gray box to the left of the screen, locate the "Forum Profile Information" link and left click once.

Now you can edit your profile information, which your avatar is the first section.
        Locate the third "button" down; I have my own pic: and click once so that a green indicator shows in the "button".
        Then copy your avatar image code in the text box after "Specify your own avatar by URL. (ex: http://www.mypage.com/mypic.gif)" (either right click and then click copy or just use CTRL+C).

Last step, but very important, when you are done editing your profile, scroll down to the bottom of the page and locate the button "Change Profile" and left click once.

DONE !!
        Any problems, just holler !!
        ;D

Comment

Unless Im just flat missing it, I dont see the options listed above in order to make the change. I can go to my profile (in a roundabout way) and hover over the generic avatar to allow "Edit Avatar" to appear (a red box). When I try to click on it to do so, it just highlights the words as if it were a dead link.

I've used the photobucket option on previous boards, and do not have an issue doing so again (although I'll probably need to set up a new one since mine got screwy when they changed a while ago) I just cannot find how to get to that part with the avatar.

I'll see if I can take screen grabs when Im not at work.
          '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

I have not messed with this in years, but if you post the pic or URL of the one you want to use, I'll see what I can do.

Comment

I have not messed with this in years, but if you post the pic or URL of the one you want to use, I'll see what I can do.
              I'll do something a little different for this board.. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180709_063138_342.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	407.8 KB
ID:	1267117
              '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

Just jumping in on the band wagon.
                I don't have photo bucket anymore, its lost in the internet cosmos when a phone got waterlogged off the coast of Jamaica......
                Monster, if you could try to add this pix for my advitar, I will reward you on the HRPT.
                You can squeeze it down as needed.
                Thank You,
                Regards Capt Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200108_115944.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	529.4 KB
ID:	1267120

Comment

Comment

Looks right on my end, Thank you.

So I don't bother you whenever I decide to change it, what is the process to do so myself? I've got a lot of burnouts to do this summer, I feel like I may end up with a nice shot out of it.
                    '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

Originally posted by brotherGood View Post
                      What is the process to do so myself?
                      I don't know what is affecting the members ability to edit the avatar from their Profile page. I modified the database with Admin tools.

Comment

Thank you, I'll give it a shot when I get to the house and see what happens.
                        '69 Oldsmobile 442

Comment

can i trouble you to change mine too, monster?
                          its depressing seeing the white vette since it got stolen
                          2 weeks ago.... id rather use this one if it can fit. thank you...

Click image for larger version

Name:	myk501.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1267158

Comment

No worries ... anyone else ?
                            post up here.

Comment

Thank You!
                              cold ones waiting if HRPT GOES !!

Comment