Crusher Camaro Pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crusher Camaro Pic

I've written on here the story of me, my buddy Dave, some of my coworkers, and the Crusher Camaro so I won't retell that tale. But with Dave recently getting active on here in this time of Covid he and I have had some Emails back and forth and he sent me photographic evidence that this did, in fact, happen.

In the pic are our friend and coworker Lou on the left, me in the middle, and Norm Brandes (yep, the same guy you see from time to time in HRM doing the "no one else can fix it so we will" articles) on the right. Dave is not in the shot as he's the photographer. The Crusher is set up on one of EPA's test sites for emissions testing where it performed admirably.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1267563

Dan

See Dan really used to work! Me, not so much. I was the engineer on the project, which meant Idid as little as possible and watched them work. We got our tailfeathers in a jam with this one. Turns out Scooter Brotherswas friends with Margo Oge, Director ofAir and Radiation, a pretty high muckety muck with EPA at the time. One phone callfrom him and we were out of the jam. Its good to have friends who have friends in high places...

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	9A4A87F9-CE12-4C33-843D-F1B2B9E03A3A.jpeg Views:	75 Size:	54.5 KB ID:	1267570

Comment

Didn't mean to sent pix twice, fat fingers on phone screen

Comment

Dave and I got more or less unstuck but I continued to pay the price. That project was when I went from having a career to having a job. Dave and I had different chain of command and different bosses. Still, it was worth it.

Captain, Dave is sort of the exception that proves the engineer rule. He actually knows how stuff fits together and that stuff he designs will need to get fixed some day. (Stickin' up for you, Dave!)

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; April 11, 2020, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
            Didn't mean to sent pix twice, fat fingers on phone screen
            I just figured you got hacked again
            Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 11, 2020, 01:59 PM.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

LOL,
              Party On !!!
              You Two.......
              Sorry, I'm still got issues with two of my off road sites from a previous hack..
              ​​​

Comment

Thanks for the stick up Dan. Wait... What? That didn't come out right. Yeah I wasn't always a degreed licensed engineer (hey I even spelled it right that time). I started out after high schoolworking for a small manufacturing company building paper industry machinery. I learned how to weld, a little machine work, fabrication and a lot of other stuff (I liked working with precision gears and bearings the best).

And I was a dirt track guy from an early age, going to Lebanon Valley starting at the ripe old age of 6. Had my first limited car at 16, and built my first modified at 19. And yes I started with a bare frame that I helped fabricate and built everything I could myself, like the front axle all the suspension linkages bumpers,bodies, hell I even made springs out of Reese trailer bars for the first car. Sort of like a quarter eliptic spring but solid. And with 3 different bars available we had different spring rates. Some day I'll dig out pics and post them. People will get a kick of what you can make with a torch, ac stick welder, a drill and a grinder. Well I did have accessto a machine shop at work to make a lot of stuff, but only on coffee break and lunch break (wink, wink...).

And trust me, the joke is not far from the truth. The first thing they teach in engineering school is "Never, ever, question the engineer, he's always right". Which of course we all know is total... fill in your favorite blasphemy. I've been fortunate in that I have always been involved in research, so I never had to design a product that had to sell. Dan and I set up a dyno system or 2, for the drippy car project (that's for you to tell the stories about Dan). And exhaust sampling systems, I've done more than anyone should ever have to, for EPA and DEC.

It all did afford me 2 luxuries I have grown accustomed to: food and shelter! AND CARS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
                  Thanks for the stick up Dan. Wait... What? That didn't come out right. Yeah I wasn't always a degreed licensed engineer (hey I even spelled it right that time). I started out after high schoolworking for a small manufacturing company building paper industry machinery. I learned how to weld, a little machine work, fabrication and a lot of other stuff (I liked working with precision gears and bearings the best).

And I was a dirt track guy from an early age, going to Lebanon Valley starting at the ripe old age of 6. Had my first limited car at 16, and built my first modified at 19. And yes I started with a bare frame that I helped fabricate and built everything I could myself, like the front axle all the suspension linkages bumpers,bodies, hell I even made springs out of Reese trailer bars for the first car. Sort of like a quarter eliptic spring but solid. And with 3 different bars available we had different spring rates. Some day I'll dig out pics and post them. People will get a kick of what you can make with a torch, ac stick welder, a drill and a grinder. Well I did have accessto a machine shop at work to make a lot of stuff, but only on coffee break and lunch break (wink, wink...).

And trust me, the joke is not far from the truth. The first thing they teach in engineering school is "Never, ever, question the engineer, he's always right". Which of course we all know is total... fill in your favorite blasphemy. I've been fortunate in that I have always been involved in research, so I never had to design a product that had to sell. Dan and I set up a dyno system or 2, for the drippy car project (that's for you to tell the stories about Dan). And exhaust sampling systems, I've done more than anyone should ever have to, for EPA and DEC.

It all did afford me 2 luxuries I have grown accustomed to: food and shelter! AND CARS!!!
                  And Maggie! Dave, like me, married WAY up!

Wish I'd thought to take more pics at EPA.......

Dan

Comment

Yes we did! Maggie and I passed 40 years in February. And I have more pictures. But...

Most of them are of diesel engines on dynos, or the drippy car chassis I had my race car buddy from back east here build for us. And test equipment for reports and papers I wrote.

Comment

We just did 29 a few days ago. We're gettin' old.......

Dan

Comment

I'd like to think we're being aged to perfection.

Comment

Working...
                        X