• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• todays hawaiian word...

humuhumunukunukuapua'a

seriously. its the state fish, translates as
    "the fish that grunts like a pig", if you ever
    pull one out of the water you'de see why.

the 'phonetic' pronunciation is

who moo who moo new coo new coo ah poo ah-ha.

youre welcome.

we now return you to
    your regularly scheduled programming.

They ever find your vette?
    finally made it home, only to be told 14 days nogo

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
      They ever find your vette?
      finally made it home, only to be told 14 days nogo
      aint heard nothin yet.... glad you made it home, sucks
      that youre on ANOTHER 2 week lockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

aint heard nothin yet.... glad you made it home, sucks
        that youre on ANOTHER 2 week lockdown.
        yup, and that just killed any chance of vacation time for the power tour if they have it this year.

Comment

The Hawaiian word I like is KOA - soldier. The tree only grows in Hawaii. I love that buttery golden color.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
            The Hawaiian word I like is KOA
            Well gyah-lee. I never in my life knew they named all of those campgrounds after a tree.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Well gyah-lee. I never in my life knew they named all of those campgrounds after a tree.
              We bought a few paintings from gallery's in Hawaii. the KOA wood frames are huge money. The one around the 6'x4' painting was 3800.00 US dollars JUST for the frame. The frame around the 54"x38" painting was almost as much( 3/4rds)as the art work it was surrounding .
              The wood is very pretty,
              From what I was told, so I'm not sure if it is fact or not.
              F.G.Z. could most likely set that straight. but I was told they limit the number of trees cut down, making the wood a limited supply. But that could've been a line of b.s. told to tourist so, take it for what it is worth.
              The KOA wood store on Kauaii had scraps of wood that ,for example a piece was maybe 100mmx 37mmx 63mm (4"x1.5"x2.5") for only 134.00 or something nuts like that.
              The store owner when I asked about bigger pieces said I'd have to source that from the big island , aloha wood company or another lumber supplier.
              But if a tiny piece is over a 100 us dollars. I'd have a stroke with what a 458mmx305mmx25mm (18"x12"x1") would cost

I'll let F.G.Z. tell me if I got sucked into the tourist trap. no matter the frames are pretty. I might get mad if the 3800.00 frame is really 300.00 but then the tourist mark up. but too late now. lol
              The 6 foot by 4 foot art was 17.700 us dollars. That one and it's frame stayed right where it was. I almost spit out my water when she said the price of the frame, after choking on what the painting price tag was.
              We went smaller with 2 works that are 54"x38" ish and one 24"x40" And frames. I could've bought a new car, but S.O. loved them so. ugggg. happy wife well you know.
              Last edited by Eric; April 15, 2020, 05:18 AM.

Comment

nah, thats about right. we have a 4ftx3ft painting and with the
                koa frame, matting and mounting it was $2900 not including
                the painting itself...

crazy. i mean, it IS beautiful, but still...........

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  ...The 6 foot by 4 foot art was 17.700 us dollars...
                  That seems a bit pricey to me even for the desirable "velvet nude" genre.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

FIL #2 was an artist and pretty darn good one. He and I were driving in the car one day and passed a gas station with a huge traveling display of Elvis on black velvet type art. The FIL said (with uncharacteristic wit) "I may not know what I like but I know art." We didn't stop.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

I was thinking dogs playing poker, but your idea has merit too
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I had a nude painted on black velvet...………………...until I got married
                        Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                        The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

todays word-- A'APEAPE (phonetically its AH-OP AYE OP AYE...)
                          its the indigenous hawaiian bat. yes, bat. like a bird, but...leathery.

Comment

aole pilikia

( ah oh lay pee lee key ah )

means "no troubles" or similar--no worry, no problem, etc.....

we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.....

Comment

ah good, I was kind of bored, time to poke the Hawaiian.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X