Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Parts Cores

Howdy folks,

I've gotten into the habit of buying new parts vs. remans for the daily drivers and this means I've got a stack of basically cores sitting around taking up space. I know I can just take them to the metal recycling place but are they worth anything or even usable just as cores? I'd rather send these things off to be rebuilt and sold than just scrap them.

Thanks
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

I'm curious too. I don't get a lot but I do get a few.

Dan

Comment

between new and wrecking yards selling cores.... there isn't much of a market for them -- HOWEVER, there are still electronic repair shops that might be interested in a gift. I had a client who did cores, all I have to say is people are schmidts. From their perspective, if they buy from a wrecking yard; they're dealing with a known entity - so if they get unuseable or broken, it's a credit they can collect from the wrecking yard. Add to this, standardization, and much of what is replaced is interchangeable - thus, supply/demand.... there's a huge supply of them, and not much demand.

But let me encourage you to find the guys who repair one-off stuff and gift them cores. There is, occasionally, a value in them - but you have to know who/when to get it.... e.g., I just sold a bunch of Turbo 400 and Turbo 350 cores, but I knew the transmission rebuilder and knew they were looking for them.... or sell them as cores on ebay
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 18, 2020, 06:26 PM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

depends what they are. Old buick nailhead water pump cores might be worth something. TH400 switch pitch torque converter cores 1964-67 are worth something. 5.3 water pump cores, probably not so much. Alternators, starters, etc if they're older, probably not. If they're newer, probably worth something. If they're really old, generators and 20s-50s starters, might be worth something. I dont know about modern electronics, I expect the market varies. Catalytic converters can be worth a lot.

the problem is they're usually a pain to sell, because they are heavy, and shipping is involved, and no one wants to spend money.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

This is probably worthless stuff then, stuff like a Vortec 454 water pump, Saab alternator, cast off wheel cylinders from the Riviera, etc.
          I wouldn't pay money to send them to someone but no would I expect to be paid for them either. Guess I'll segregate for the metal folks.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
          X