Sinkhole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sinkhole

Well, we've got the tarp on the roof waiting for rebuild and also waiting on Mister Tree to cut the trees down. It's been raining. A few days ago I noticed a divot in the back yard next to the buried boulder. About a platter sized dip, you could step in that and turn your ankle. That's new. Yesterday I put two bags of the black topsoil in the hole and pounded it level. There.

This morning I looked out there and that topsoil was gone, as in downward.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hole 1.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	1270534

The photo above came after I had already dipped some of the quicksand out of the hole. Later SM and SM Jr. and I got out there digging to figure out how big this is. We got tired of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hole 3.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	1270535

I've asked Mister Tree to bring his backhoe when he comes. If the house doesn't get swallowed up first. We might can start selling tickets to the Weeville Caverns. Bring your own flashlight.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I think I'd order a truck / mixer of concrete and call it good .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Old well, maybe?
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

this is payback for you laughing at the hole at Bowling Green ;)
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
          Old well, maybe?
          Dunno. We dug around in the quicksand on the left side of that boulder as far as we could reach and that's the same stuff on the right side of it, we just didn't scoop it out. There's no telling how big that is with a shovel. We'd joked a time or two in the past that maybe the boulder was what's holding the house up. There we go joking again...we've gotta quit all that joking.

Comment

I suspect the housing development in built on fill. Uneven terrain they levelled with trucked-in material. If so, they didn't compact it enough to get the mess solid.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
              I think I'd order a truck / mixer of concrete and call it good .
              On second thought , cancel the concrete , thats probably access to the corvette museum's basement. ( since hole )
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                I suspect the housing development in built on fill. Uneven terrain they levelled with trucked-in material. If so, they didn't compact it enough to get the mess solid.
                That room that the tree fell on (if you remember it from your visit here), we've already had that room jacked up 3 or 4 inches. It was breaking off from the rest of the house.

Comment

Working...
                X