No announcement yet.

Dirt Bikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBR, good for you getting back on a bike!
    I have a 2018 Husky 450. (Same as a KTM with a different rear suspension) that I use regularly for some great local single track trails here in Wisconsin. Some buddies and I do some Upper Michigan runs a couple times a year too. The husky replaced my silly fast KTM 525 which I had for a very long time before this.
    The Husky has way better suspension, and less violent throttle hit than my old KTM, so it's not as fast, but a better tool for long days in the saddle.

Comment

I street rode a standard Wombat in the 80s. It was good for 65 or so on the highway. I enjoyed passing cars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	35583_img_2850a_600.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1271744
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

My Old KTM usually looked like this.

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	755.1 KB
ID:	1271746

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
          My Old KTM usually looked like this.

Name:	IMG_0194.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	755.1 KB
ID:	1271746
          no current dirt bike?
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Yup, 2018 Husky 450. Just found a pic...

Name:	IMG_0562.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	1271755
            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; June 8, 2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
              Some buddies in the neighborhood had Hodaka bikes that were so basic, but kicked ass in the dirt .. a Super Rat 100 and a Combat Wombat 125 .. they tore it up !

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	26.8 KB ID:	1271741
              Always wanted one but never did. I don't think they're still in business. I also remember that they were anvils - you could pound on them all day and they just took it.

Dan
              Last edited by DanStokes; June 8, 2020, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Yup, 2018 Husky 450.
                Day-um .. I like that !

Comment

It's fun, and street legal!
                  That said, I don't ride on the road much as I didn't buy it for that, and it's got off road tires, and I removed the blinkers. It's a nice option to have and helps when it comes time to sell.
                  Oh... and the fact that i have no self control, combined with pour judgement when I ride it.

Comment

I had a 93 DR650 dual sport. In-town riding was it's wheelhouse. Curbs, dips, speed bumps were nothing. A super torquey motor made wheelies a snap. A 100+ mph top end and fantastic brakes made it super fun to ride. No e-start majorly sucked on occasion because it had a drill and if you didn't follow the drill you were completely screwed.

The stock tires suuuucked in the dirt. It had waaay more power than it had suspension but I still took it off road and it was less horrible after I put some Metzeler DOT knobbies on it. Suspension was soft but I only remember it tank slapping me off one time. Haha. Crashed it on the street a couple of times which was waaay less fun than tank slapping in deep samd whoops for sure.

It was by far the quickest way to get from A to B in town. Click image for larger version

Name:	20151221_115159.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	508.7 KB
ID:	1271797

Sorta like this one.
                    Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

It's fun, and street legal!
                      That said, I don't ride on the road much as I didn't buy it for that, and it's got off road tires, and I removed the blinkers. It's a nice option to have and helps when it comes time to sell.
                      Oh... and the fact that i have no self control, combined with pour judgement when I ride it.
                      is there any other way to ride? I believe in full-send or off. I also have GPS tracks on my CRF450r going 110 mph on dirt.... it didn't feel a mph faster then 80 but

Comment

The big two stroke in my life, a 90 KTM 540 EXC. Also known as a DXC, "Desert Cross Country" only sold in the US and Australia. 548cc of low down torque
                        Took it down the strip a few times, first time, below, with a knobby, 14 flat, 2nd time with a road tyre 13.6 short shifting because it just wanted to loop out.
                        I still have it in the shed.

Name:	tim540.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	1271827

Next bike was a 99 Husky te410, loved the gearbox in it, great spread of gears and it climbed hills like a goat, put 22000km (14000 Miles) on it in 4 1/2 years.

Then a big 4 stroke, 05 Husky TE510, it was a bit more highly strung and spent a fair amount of time in pieces. It is in one piece now and also in the shed.
                        Me with the 510 throwing rocks.

The current ride, the last of the Italian Husky's, a 13 TE449. I don't get out on it as much as I'd like to, time and an ageing body

Name:	TE449.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	847.5 KB
ID:	1271828
                        Last edited by 65RHDEER; June 9, 2020, 03:27 AM.
                        Tim
                        Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

one of my riding buddies is utterly convinced that a criteria of bike purchases is the bike's ability to throw rocks - he rides a 650ex, so while he can keep up, he's usually 100 yards behind due to his inability to holeshot.

Comment

BBR, I had a fist year DR650 back in 1992-ish?? It was OK. You reminded me of the kick start procedure with the compression release! LOL.
                            The new Husky is electric start, freaking awesome!
                            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; June 9, 2020, 07:27 AM.

Comment

That is awesome !

Comment

so that's why they come with skirts, I would think that would get cold

good on you, though, one has to be tough to cope with all the snide comments you get from your buddies about e-start on a dirt bike....

Comment

Working...
                                X