No announcement yet.

What Do You Think Of This??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's a whole lot of hole in the water to throw money at!! Neat boat, but I don't see the brass pole?

Conjecture: Given what that boat weighs, it's probably not ridiculously overpowered for 70's, maybe 80ish mph. Looks like as good a way to die as any... when they are so big they need bow thrusters (the hole by the spare in the front), I lose a lot of interest. I'm mildly jealous I guess, but I look longer at a jon boat with a 15 horse stinky smokey cantankerous old 2 stroke. Wow, I just said that - clearly, old age has rotted my brain.

Mercury has a supercharged 400hp L6 2.6 liter (Verado) outboard that sounds kind of neat at full song (6800 rpm). At 650+ pounds, it's a bit much for my jon boat.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
      it's a bit much for my jon boat.
      WOW!!! You have a boat with a jon onboard? I always just had to pee off the side back in my boat days. (I'm being silly - I know what a Jon boat is......)

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

WOW!!! You have a boat with a jon onboard? I always just had to pee off the side back in my boat days. (I'm being silly - I know what a Jon boat is......)
        Yeah, its a shuttle that takes the customer to the girls off-shore!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Yeah, its a shuttle that takes the customer to the girls off-shore!
          the best of my knowledge we don't have any off-shore girls. Is that a business opportunity?

Dan

Comment

I'm sure it is . But tjen you'll go to prison and hang yourself
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

That's quite the setup, too! Are you sure that isn't photoshopped?

Dan

Comment

That's a whole lot of hole in the water to throw money at!! Neat boat, but I don't see the brass pole?

Conjecture: Given what that boat weighs, it's probably not ridiculously overpowered for 70's, maybe 80ish mph. Looks like as good a way to die as any... when they are so big they need bow thrusters (the hole by the spare in the front), I lose a lot of interest. I'm mildly jealous I guess, but I look longer at a jon boat with a 15 horse stinky smokey cantankerous old 2 stroke. Wow, I just said that - clearly, old age has rotted my brain.

Mercury has a supercharged 400hp L6 2.6 liter (Verado) outboard that sounds kind of neat at full song (6800 rpm). At 650+ pounds, it's a bit much for my jon boat.
                Here's a 627 horse outboard.
                "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin View Post
                  An LS on an outboard drive. Interesting. I still don't know how they keep the engine from being eaten up with salt.

Dan

Comment

Sacrificial anodes and aluminum is my guess.

Comment

Sacrificial anodes and aluminum is my guess.
                      That's a good thought. Our old waterbrake dynos (Clayton) used a sacrificial anode and replacing it monthly was a routine part of the maintenance - before started doing that we'd occasionally lose a test when a plug would fail mid-test (an expensive failure). Eventually we installed a water treatment system at each dyno and that helped.

I also wondered if the water jackets, water pumps, etc. have a coating of some sort (Teflon maybe?) to protect them.

Dan

Comment

The ad says closed loop cooling. I'd assume there is a heat exchanger between the engine coolant and outside water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clc.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1272173
                        Last edited by RockJustRock; June 13, 2020, 11:20 AM.
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                          The ad says closed loop cooling. I'd assume there is a heat exchanger between the engine coolant and outside water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	clc.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1272173
                          Probably. But still whatever sees sea water has to have protection or it wpn't live long and prosper. Maybe the bits that see sea water are SS? Just me being curious - this is well out of my price range and my area of interest.

Dan

Comment

Many materials handle salt better than aluminum. The potential of an ocean of cold water is so much higher for cooling than ambient air I'd guess those cylinders have something like small radiators in them. Odd there isn't something similar for inboards. The weight savings of an aluminum block and heads would be very beneficial in a boat.

Edit: Actually it seems to be quite common:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...sclient=psy-ab

I thought "closed loop cooling" sounded a little convoluted for something at all unique.
                            Last edited by RockJustRock; June 13, 2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Aluminum with nothing to set up a galvanic reaction is pretty good. My Grandmother put up an aluminum bulkhead back in the early 70's facing the Trinity bay of the Gulf of Mexico. It's constantly exposed to about 3 feet of saltwater at this point. It gets a little higher every year from subsidence. It goes under water when big storms come in. Corrosion hasn't been a problem. Storm debris is. There is zero steel in it or against it though, even the anchor bolts are something like 1.5" or so aluminum.

The little air cooled Honda trail bikes had one cylinder head stud that was a different material. I think it was meant to be the sacrificial because of battery action with steel and aluminum. Electricity will take the path of least resistance, and basically we have a dissimilar metal battery complete with potential electrolyte setup right? I just remember them being a different color and always corroded where the other studs were okay. May have been some kind of copper alloy coating, but I have no idea honestly.
                              Last edited by Beagle; June 14, 2020, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Outboard madness redux.

Comment

Working...
                                X