What Do You Think Of This??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Think Of This??

About a year ago I was driving down Market Street (our main drag here in town) and saw THIS rolling past. I tracked it down to a marine sales yard and snapped some pics. The yard manager was all upset and didn't want me to post the pics as he hadn't even delivered the boat to its new owner yet. So I held them until now but I've wondered what you folks thought about this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1922.jpg Views:	0 Size:	324.9 KB ID:	1271940
    And the money shot:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1923.jpg Views:	0 Size:	405.1 KB ID:	1271941

My math isn't great but I think 5 X 350 = 1750HP. Dang!

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; June 10, 2020, 11:37 AM.

Dan: I was going to say, boy, that thing must be pretty thirsty, but then again, if they can afford the boat, they can probably afford the fuel

Comment

At what point do you just pop for a Cat Diesel? Doesn't seem like it would cost any more.

Seems to be some kind of a stern extension, I suppose to keep from pushing the transom up to the bow. Either way I have no idea what holds that extension to the stern.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; June 10, 2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Maybe four of the engines are just for sexy decoration, only the center one is wearing a prop...
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          I've wondered what you folks thought about this.
          Firstly, I think you sat on this too long and secondly; it is too large for outboards .. as you pointed out, it should have an inboard.

Comment

So, several comments
            They need so many engines so they can actually go somewhere and get back using 2 at a time (the 5th one is for parts).
            I agree a couple big blocks in the hull should do just fine.
            Diesel - give me a break - unless he is going to tow a aircraft carrier he needs GAS power.

Comment

Have seen this done in several countries overseas in my Navy days.... Namely Columbia and Panama...Redundancy out on the ocean, and no need for custom large props...
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Missing props, likely got the wrong ones? Need counter turning ones on one side to keep from going in a circle... Buddy's dad had a boat out of Vancouver WA that he took to the ocean, twin 327's, one turned counter clockwise.

Comment

Drug runner boat.
                  Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                  1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                  1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                  1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                  1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                  1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                    Maybe four of the engines are just for sexy decoration, only the center one is wearing a prop...
                    They're clearly changing props but I have no clue why. You can see some in the foreground. Here in salt water they're always stainless steel. No clue how they protect the water jackets from the sat but with towable boats the guys flush them with household water when they get home which I guess works OK.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                      So, several comments
                      They need so many engines so they can actually go somewhere and get back using 2 at a time (the 5th one is for parts).
                      I agree a couple big blocks in the hull should do just fine.
                      Diesel - give me a break - unless he is going to tow a aircraft carrier he needs GAS power.
                      Diesel works just fine. They just gear the V-drive differently (like changing the rear diff gears in a truck). Much better fuel economy on a big boat like that. Most of the charter day boats here are set up that way.

Dan

Comment

I have yet to understand those setups

I'd rather ride in a lobster boat with a japanese tractor trailer engine with a straight pipe to the left of my head popped though a hole in the cabin roof.

the long shaft might wobble when it is cold, the one attached toa powerglide found in a junk yard but it always wins.. like a half ton 10 bolt rear end after 380k miles.

If the headache of inboard is water manifolds and cracked blocks, with an IQ of a monkeys butt you can run straight engine, liquid to liquid cooled radiator and modern materials.
                        heck just injection is a priceless balance..a real up to temp oil and stable cooling the same..

I have had enough of outboard to go insane.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	drugboat_small.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1271968
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

BTW 350 HP=$25K ea.
                            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Here in salt water they're always stainless steel.

Dan
                              I know .003% of nothing about it. All I do know is my friend in Florida had a runabout he trailered back and forth to the ocean. And whenever he got back to the house he was in a big hurry to hook the garden hose up to the engine and run lots of tap water through it so it wouldn't rot. I'm trying to remember maybe it was an inboard/outboard setup, whatever that is. He had to run a fan in the engine compartment before he cranked it so it wouldn't explode. Whatever it was, it didn't love salt water going through it at all. Maybe he even had the wrong boat for the application, I dunno.
                              Last edited by pdub; June 11, 2020, 02:54 AM.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X