Restiching Seatbelts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restiching Seatbelts

Figured someone out there has had this done but does anyone know a place that will restitch seatbelts? Need to flip the buckles around so they are pointed the other way and I can't pull the buckle off the end of the belt so am considering cutting the end off, flipping it around, and then sending it off to get restitched close.

Other option is to file the inside of the buckle slider (it's plastic) open enough to let me pull the belt through it.

Thanks
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR View Post
    Figured someone out there has had this done but does anyone know a place that will restitch seatbelts? Need to flip the buckles around so they are pointed the other way and I can't pull the buckle off the end of the belt so am considering cutting the end off, flipping it around, and then sending it off to get restitched close.

Other option is to file the inside of the buckle slider (it's plastic) open enough to let me pull the belt through it.

Thanks
    I had my fire suit altered by G Force so they might be worth a try. Seems like a similar issue, stitching safety products. Or probably any safety equipment maker that makes belts, like DJ Safety (the safety division of Deist) or others. Once upon a time it was common for them to restitch and recertify harnesses though I don't know if that's done anymore. There might be an issue with liability.

Dan

Comment

Dan saying "harness" makes me think bridle shop?
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I had some seat belt work done by a local upholstery shop, over 20 years ago. He had no problem with it, either the doing the work part, or the liability part. But if you don't have a friendly trim guy around, or a friend with an industrial sewing machine, it might be tough to get done.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          Dan saying "harness" makes me think bridle shop?
          Isn't the bridle shop where women sign up to be on the gift registry?
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Same as Jim, I've always had a local interior shop restitch them after I shorten them as needed. I just mock them up with tape so I can confirm the length and he usually will sew them up as I wait.
            2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
            2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
            all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

Before we used harnesses, I "made" my own. Rules stated 2 lap belts and 2 shoulder belts. No auto retractors. Used waxed thread on an old Singer that worked pretty good.. Had to add buckles and loops to keep them together

Comment

Local shop said I'd have to sign a release if they did the work but they'd do it. MyAirbags.com said they'd restitch them for $75 for the pair and no release. Sounds like I'll probably go with them as these belts are what will keep my kids safe.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Good that you found a source. I'll keep them in mind though right now I'm using either stock belts or run-of-the-mill racing harnesses.

Dan

Comment

There's a business opportunity for someone to make high quality custom belts. Right off there's a need for race quality belts with consumer convenience. Think "Pro Touring" belts. If nothing else a nicer release and adjusting mechanisms than the gnarley race stuff.
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                    X