Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honey-Do

Recent honey-do project.

One DIL gave ME an angel wing begonia a few years back and while it's been doing OK it was badly in need of support and a bigger pot. A pot was procured but there was no way that a stick stuck in the dirt of the pot was going to hold that leggy plant upright. After a bit of thinking here's what I invented:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0184.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	1273798
    The base is 2 circles of 3/16 plate (it's what I had) cut out with a 4" hole saw - this leaves a 3 3/4" disc which fit the new pot perfectly. The upright is a piece of 3/8 steel rod from the hardware store. I attached the eyes for support string (made from 3/8 lockwashers) by cutting a groove in the rod using a cutoff wheel in the 4 1/2" grinder then dropping the washer in the groove and welding up the rest of the groove. Once again, any job worth doing is worth overdoing.

and sitting in the pot:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0183.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1273799
    The idea is that the weight of the base plus the weight of the dirt on top of the base should make for a stable support for the plant. As soon as I can get that pic to download I'll show the finished product.

FINALLY - the finished product:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	910.9 KB
ID:	1273811

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; July 5, 2020, 10:09 AM.

Pretty cool . And sweet . My wife has been waiting 2 years for me to fill a pot or bucket with xement with a 3 inch diameter pvc pipe in the center to anchor her round picnic table umbrella style shade . Working on buying another house so , I bet I can wait till then .
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; July 5, 2020, 07:48 PM.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
      ... for me to fill a pot or bucket with xement ...
      Down here we call it excrement

Comment

ME is a drummer? Drums take the longest to tear down, so you dated the last girl left in the bar.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Dan's the drummer, ME is a violinist. Classic music and ROCK a great mix...

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
            Dan's the drummer, ME is a violinist. Classic music and ROCK a great mix...
            In my next life I'm taking up harmonica - infinitely more portable.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Down here we call it excrement
              Should say cement .....

oh well !!!!
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Not bad at all! Like it,

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

In my next life I'm taking up harmonica - infinitely more portable.

Dan
                  Blues harp gets complicated.

Name:	BK-520-SET-2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1273877
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

Not really...well yes really if you want to be good at it. I taught myself to play harp sitting at stoplights in Charlotte for a few weeks while my Dad was in the hospital, enough to play a solo on one song I recorded. If you notice anybody looking at you funny from the car waiting beside you, just keep both hands on the harp and use your right hand for some wah-wah action and rock your head back and forth sideways like Stevie Wonder, whether you're actually even blowing the harp or not - they can't hear you.

That whole case full of harps pictured is about jammin' with other people. Like, what key are you in? All of the push-pulls are the same on each one. I bought the one that was in the key I wanted the song to be in and I played it and by now I don't even know where it is in the pile anymore. All of that stuff, I haven't even touched it since our last gathering at Gear Head Inn in 2016.
                    Last edited by pdub; July 6, 2020, 01:47 PM.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

Name:	BK-520-SET-2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1273877
                      Compared to a drum kit that's child's play to move about.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                      X