Interesting Geological Find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

Too funny, but the correct answer is neither.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
      I don't know. but aren't Corals actually animals which create their own external "limestone' shell? and that is what fossilizes into rock coral?
      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Almost .. corals are marine invertebrates that live in compact colonies of many identical individual polyps, which secrete calcium carbonate to form a hard skeleton.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coral_Outcrop_Flynn_Reef.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	527.3 KB
ID:	1275688

Comment

It's obvious to me that we need a Science Board.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
            It's obvious to me that we need a Science Board.
            I Google imaged Science Board.

Name:	Science Board.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1275712
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I Google imaged Science Board.

Name:	Science Board.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1275712
              That's cool, but I meant a discussion board....like General Discussion, HRPT, Tech, etc. Seems like we get a lot of 'scientific' subjects lately.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Name:	Brain-Coral-at-Andrea-2-in-Bonaire-e1561216933839.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	1275732

Limestone is Calcium Carbonate...isn't it?.....we need a scientist...... oh..... thats Brain Coral, alive and sporing.
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

[QUOTE=oldsman496;n12757

Limestone is Calcium Carbonate...isn't it?.....we need a scientist...... oh..... thats Brain Coral, alive and sporing.[/QUOTE]

I'm too old to spore much these days.

Dan

Comment

Signs of extra terrestrial life. Don't put it in your microwave, it will come back to life!

Comment

Geology is fun, you can find all sorts of things in the ground.. like ocean fossils in Nebraska, and things like this https://ashfall.unl.edu. In 10,000+ years when someone or something unearths everything buried by the next Yellowstone Caldera eruption they'll find some crazy stuff. Here in northern Michigan I live on the top of an extremely old mountain range that was worn down by glaciers. We have a strange mix of rock in the lake, from sandstone to granite, and things called yooperlites that glow under a black light https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQnzUaTAXGc We have an extinct volcano right next to Marquette, they call it black rocks. When I walked across it the first time it was obvious to me what it was, I am kinda into that stuff. Finding a chunk of coral here would be cool, but mostly its sandstone from when the lake was much higher than it is now. Did you know that farther down is a massive salt deposit here? Its under the entire lower peninsula.

It sounds like ya found someone's stash Pdub.. a kid's buried treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post

It sounds like ya found someone's stash Pdub.. a kid's buried treasure.
                        That's what I figure too. But in the meantime the fossilized coral piece is on the fireplace mantle. In the unlikely rare even that a stranger comes in the house and oogles over it, I'll say that I was scuba diving off of my private yacht in the Great Cayman Islands. I was in 75 feet of water running one of those sand sucking chugga hoses to uncover a perfectly preserved giant mastadon skeleton I had discovered on an earlier dive. The skeleton turned out to be a sunken outhouse from an offshore construction project and I found the coral piece while I was cleaning the hose filter.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                        X