Roll Cage Input?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roll Cage Input?

I need to hinge the new door bar in Mutt. I'm looking at the Rhodes system and am wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Seems like a great way to go though a bit pricey which I don't mind if it's worth it.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; July 7, 2020, 03:08 PM.

what is the door-bar requirement?* Someone told me once that hinges on door bars are only for allowing you to get the seat out.... mostly because it's usually easier to climb over then twist around to pull out the fixed pin.

*if the requirement is 'must cross at point between your shoulder and elbow' - a bar with a bend it in can accomplish the protection requirement and allow pretty easy entry and exit - especially if you have a removable steering wheel
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You can put the pull pin pretty much wherever you want it - it doesn't have to be at the rear hoop. I had the one in the Camaro placed so that I could reach it from the seat but still leave the opening as wide as possible. I used it whenever I entered or exited the car and it was well worth the effort. In the Camaro I used an S&W Racecars system which has bent plates that weld to the outside of the tubes. The system shown above is much more elegant and, I suspect, will give better alignment. Just didn't know if anyone else has used the Rhodes.

True that you can use a bent bar but I prefer the straight one if possible. The bent style can (at least theoretically) bend in a collision though as a practical matter it's probably not likely.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        You can put the pull pin pretty much wherever you want it - it doesn't have to be at the rear hoop. I had the one in the Camaro placed so that I could reach it from the seat but still leave the opening as wide as possible. I used it whenever I entered or exited the car and it was well worth the effort. In the Camaro I used an S&W Racecars system which has bent plates that weld to the outside of the tubes. The system shown above is much more elegant and, I suspect, will give better alignment. Just didn't know if anyone else has used the Rhodes.

True that you can use a bent bar but I prefer the straight one if possible. The bent style can (at least theoretically) bend in a collision though as a practical matter it's probably not likely.

Dan
        you asked for advice, here it is... put a bend in place. Yes, you can put that stabby bit wherever you wish. Way back, I may not have even blogged it (was very early in my car process) on my 70 Skylark. I had one of those on for about 2 days. I had left it off then went to sit in the seat and stabbed myself with that upper bit. It hurt, a lot. Add to it that by putting the bend in the bar, it wasn't in the way and it wasn't giving me a bruise on my elbow.... between the bruise right on my 'funny' bone and the mark on my back ... the other issue, that some complain about is rattling - granted, that's not an issue for your use...

the tl;dr is I'm again'it
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 7, 2020, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Parts are on order. I happily lived with a swing out bar in the Camaro and am OK with it. On Facebook I got some excellent input from a couple of Salt Hounds and will make a few modifications to make sure that the bar can't come in on me if the pin fails.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Parts are on order. I happily lived with a swing out bar in the Camaro and am OK with it. On Facebook I got some excellent input from a couple of Salt Hounds and will make a few modifications to make sure that the bar can't come in on me if the pin fails.

Dan
            so you're saying that you got salty advice.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

so you're saying that you got salty advice.
              'Zakly! (I don't get to use the Z key very much).

Getting input from Joe Timney (Delaware Chassis Works) and Miler Mike Stewart is like wisdom from the Gods. Joe is Mr. Safety and his concern was that he's seem the pin fail and the bar come in on the driver in the event of an incident. In addition to making sure that the pin is of the highest quality we determined that I'll put a back-up plate at the top so that the bar can't swing in past the point where it makes up - problem solved. It's all coming together!

And I'll be able to get the seat in and out.

Dan

Comment

I've never used the Rhodes kit, but have used the Chassisworks kit which is similar. I have one in the blazer, which is still under construction, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to change the way it is setup a little. I did it so that I could take the entire door bar out on each side when driving it on the street and then put it back in for the track. Not really about getting in and out easier for me.
                "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

Thanks all for your input. I know enough to know that I need to know more.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X