shop radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    that's something that electronics guys are used to dealing with...
    pretty sure he wasn't speaking to electronics.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

JBL Extreme Bluetooth speaker, take it anywhere
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

pretty sure he wasn't speaking to electronics.
        yup. But the post he was replying to, was all about electronics, and most folks don't think "potentiometer" when they see the word "pot". It gets tiring.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I've got an old Yorx 'stereo' unit in the shop that a guy gave to me. It has been playing FM 24/7 since 1994.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I'm scraping my memory for the first teacher I had that said "Pot cleaner, no, not that kind" .. it's probably been 40 something years.

I was going to say I don't see them a lot any more and then I looked in front of me and there are 5 50k potentiometers on the not quite as cheap as the rest of them desktop amplifier. Glamorous it is not. Loud and clear, it is. These little things are amazing. They claim 50 watts per channel x 2 and a subwoofer channel of 100 watts, but I only have a 90 watt power supply on it so we know that's not going to math out right. 40 bucks well spent. Power supply courtesy of an old Dell laptop (19v)

Click image for larger version  Name:	amp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	255.3 KB ID:	1274300

/edit - for size reference, that board is about 6" x 6" x 1.5"

/edit 2 - for wattage reference, most listening at normal volume in a common size room is less than 1 watt. 10 watts, legitimate, can get unwanted attention with an efficient speaker. Somewhere between will overcome most of your garage background noise.

/edit 3 - if I was worried about the electric bouncing voltage so hard it fried radio's, I might even consider a 12v power supply brick for something like 10.00 from Ebay-Azon and a 15.00 Walmart car stereo with bluetooth. Not kidding. Antenna optional, there's not much FM worth listening to here but maybe good plan for weather channel, emergency stuff.
            Last edited by Beagle; July 11, 2020, 10:42 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Being an old fart, I buy older receivers from Craigslist. I generally get several years out of them before something or other fails and I toss them and get a fresh one. The current one is a Sony that just happens to match the CD changer that one of my kids gave me (kids don't DO CDs). BTW - I generally listen to commercial radio so I don't have t
              My trouble has been with antennas given that I work in a steel building which is essentially a big Faraday cage. The best so far is a dipole attached to the outside of the building and run thru the wall. It works fine in decent weather but reception falls apart in a storm.
              Dan

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

yup. But the post he was replying to, was all about electronics, and most folks don't think "potentiometer" when they see the word "pot". It gets tiring.
                welcome bangshift, home of the beagle threads.... and I fear the day when someone says "surely you jest" and someone doesn't pipe up "I'm not Shirley"....
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 11, 2020, 08:18 PM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                X